Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

Some posts have been removed as off topic.

Members are here to discuss the facts of the case as they are sourced from MSM and LE, not to debate journalistic integrity or berate other members for which MSM they rely upon or for their opinions.

Accordingly, post on topic or your post will be removed and/or a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges may occur.

Thank you.

ADMIN NOTE:

Under Australian law, this case is now under sub judice and the following is not allowed:

Anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial
Any history of a defendant’s previous offences
Any suggestions or direct accusations that the accused is either guilty or innocent (i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer", "the perp"; it has to be "the accused", the "alleged killer" or "the defendant")
Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges/lawyers, any officer of the Court)
Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence.
Any non compliance with an Order of the court

Do not post anything that violates the above principles. Doing so can result in charges of contempt of court.

Thank you.

Mod Reminder:

Please use links to support information stated as facts. We do have two verified insiders in this case that are not required to provide links for known information:

MotoMike - Long term acquaintance of Russel’s
Alicia_Eizabeth - acquaintance of the accused

Thanks,
Tiff

ADMIN NOTE

Websleuths welcomes all new members to this thread.

IF you are close to this case, and want to share inside info without providing a link to that info, you must apply for and be approved as a Verified Insider. The link to that process is in my signature below. We encourage anyone who would like to post info they know to be true without providing the required links to apply for VI status. If approved, removed posts may be reinstated.

Websleuths is fact-based. We do not allow rumors. Websleuths is also victim-friendly to honor and respect the victims and their families and friends. We are careful to make sure those who say they are close to the case are actually that. Otherwise, posts claiming inside info that are not from an approved Verified Insider will be removed, as will the replies to such posts.

THANK YOU for following the Terms of Service we all agreed to when we joined.

Our new member stacey_victoria has been verified as an insider in this discussion. As a VI, they do not have to provide links to support information they state as fact. In all other respects, they are held to the same TOS as regular members.

Please be sensitive and respectful to our VIs at all times. If you happen to disagree with something they have to say, please don't bicker with them, challenge them, or badger them for information they may not wish to share or may not be able to share. Just make a mental note and scroll on by without being argumentative.

We are very fortunate to have members join as Verified Insiders to share their knowledge of the case, so any member found being disrespectful to a VI in any way will be removed from this discussion. Please, if you see another member being rude or argumentative, Report to let us know and we will review the matter.

Thank you to stacey_victoria and all other WSers for being here to discuss this case.

PS: Posts that were removed pending verification have been reinstated.

These are the things preoccupying my mind the most after two days of frankly astonishing reveals for those of us who’ve followed this from the start:

Mr Hill talks to the hunter about the importance of firearm safety, saying that his relative had been accidentally killed in a tragic accident when mistaken for a deer.
From herald sun Jan
[ETA: this was an account of RH the week before when he was camping solo]

“ a piece of human skull, linked by DNA to Ms Clay, and a piece of lead near where the couple’s tent had been set up.”
From News.com.Au
Not found until March 2022!!! I know the valley was snowed under at some point and there were also lockdowns etc. but I wonder what else changed in terms of searching or conditions that allowed them to find these, at that point.

The police interviewing Lynn and secretly recording him while his wife worked remotely on video calls in the other room. Wild. They didn’t caution him, as he was ‘only’ a witness, but cop did notice the car Color change and “snapped a picture”. (same source as above)

And the scattered cards and wallets found in the cab of RH’s Ute. I remember a lot of debate about this, on here, some were sure they’d seen or heard it mentioned early on, and others were adamant the car was locked w no access, RH and CC had the keys and the state of the Ute cab was just a rumour.

Gosh the complexity of it all, for instance, their two key eye witnesses requiring a translator. Must have made it all the more challenging to find these men and establish the tiny but crucial details of it all.

I also had a few giggles at the unfiltered Who isn’t afraid to make a few sweeping character judgements based on first impressions (grump, creepy etc)

Someone with better understanding of legal nuance might be able to explain this:

Crown prosecutor John Dickie complained about the scenario being raised by Mr Dann, saying it “might not” reflect the case against GL.
Mr Dann said it was “important” to understand the context in which forensic officers ran their investigation.

Is Dann saying that the police put forward a scenario which might have influenced the forensic officer to find a particular way, ie confirmation bias ? Or is it something else they are getting at?

ETA link paywalled unfortunately it’s The Australian.

RH decides to fly drone over GL campsite. GL decides that he could shoot it down as it is lowered by RH following flyover of GL campsite. GL waits until RH catches drone and bang misses and hits CC. RH then once he realises CC is deceased is ambushed by GL with knife and killed. Both deaths occurr in area where fire subsequently destroyed evidence.
One thing I do not understand if GL was covered in Blood why wasn't that found in his vehicle etc.

Where is this heading as it seems GL has admitted he was involved in the deaths?. Does this mean he is either guilty of Murder, Manslaughter or can he claim self defence even though evidence has pointed to him moving the bodies etc?.

Far out I am confused ?

About 6pm on March 19, Mr Hill made contact via high-frequency radio with an amateur radio group, who reported him sounding “normal”, a police summary of facts reads.

It’s alleged in the document that sometime after this conversation a confrontation between Mr Lynn and Mr Hill broke out and they were killed.

In a separate statement provided to the court by forensic expert Mark Gellatly, he claims police informed him they believed Mr Lynn was annoyed by Mr Hill’s drone and confronted the pair about it before returning to his campsite.

He said crime scene investigators believe Mr Hill then allegedly grabbed a shotgun from Mr Lynn’s vehicle, before a physical fight broke out between the two men and the gun discharged

And the scattered cards and wallets found in the cab of RH’s Ute. I remember a lot of debate about this, on here, some were sure they’d seen or heard it mentioned early on, and others were adamant the car was locked w no access, RH and CC had the keys and the state of the Ute cab was just a rumour.

It's not just rumour. Here's a screenshot I took @ 20:14 of this video.

credit cards.JPG

@Motomike From last thread, p.54 #1074

"Although I am not a gun owner, I find it hard to believe that anyone would have a loaded firearm stowed away in their vehicle. I am not sure but I think this is very much against the rules of gun storage. If RH grabbed the shotgun from GL's vehicle, did he also have to find the shells to load it .... It just dose not make sense to me at all...MOO"

"In most circumstances firearms should be transported in the following manner:

• Firearms should be transported in a padded cover or hard case, unloaded and preferably rendered inoperable.
  • While being transported, firearms and ammunition should be kept out of sight and stored in separate receptacles that are either secured to the inside of your vehicle or in a lockable component of your vehicle.
  • Cartridge ammunition must be stored separately from firearms in a part of the vehicle not readily accessible by an unauthorised person – a lockable glove box would suffice provided the key to the glove box is kept securely by the holder of the firearm licence and cannot be accessed by persons unauthorised to possess ammunition or firearms.
Link

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle