Australia - Toyah Cordingley, 24, body found on beach, 22 October 2018 #3

Rajwinder Singh set to face three-week trial in Cairns for alleged murder of Toyah Cordingley​

The matter was adjourned until December 14 for a directions hearing.

The court heard the trial was likely to happen in the first half of next year at the Supreme Court in Cairns.

Rajwinder Singh arrest: Record $1m reward ‘paid in full’ after 20-month global search for Toyah’s alleged killer​

The reward was shared by more than one person.

Behind a paywall, I think. Posting it here for those who subscribe.

Four years later, in December 2018, they, the Queensland government and Australia's High Commissioner to India announced the $1 million reward, as well as "an appropriate indemnity from prosecution", for information leading to Singh's arrest.
The reward is the largest offered in Queensland history.
Weeks after it was announced, Singh was arrested in India and eventually extradited to Australia, where he was formally charged with murder.
Today, Queensland Police confirmed it had paid out the $1 million reward to several people.

A pre-trial hearing for Rajwinder Singh, the man accused of the 24-year-old's death, began in the Cairns Supreme Court on Monday.

Defence barrister Angus Edwards KC and prosecutor Nathan Crane cross-examined expert witnesses on Monday regarding phone coverage data, CCTV and mapping.

They also cross-examined Ms Cordingley's family and her partner at the time of her death.

Justice Jim Henry is yet to decide whether the witnesses and evidence heard on Monday and Tuesday will be admissible in the trial scheduled for July.

He told the court he intended to refer Mr Singh's former lawyer, Derek Perkins, to the Legal Services Commissioner.

Mr Crane told the court Mr Singh had dropped Cairns-based Mr Perkins as a lawyer on Friday night.

Justice Henry read an email chain in which he quoted a formal response to the Crown by Mr Perkins saying, "I am uninterested in assisting you with your exhibit-forming email".

Justice Henry said the response was disappointing.

Justice Henry said he believed the Cairns-based practitioner's handling of the case warranted investigation.

"The material before me shows that there was little meaningful consultation with the defendant during the new phase of the process at all and no application brought," Justice Henry told the court.

"It's especially concerning because the defendant is charged with murder, and if convicted he will be sentenced to life in prison."
Complaints made to Queensland's Legal Services Commission can, where warranted, result in disciplinary proceedings against legal practitioners by either the Legal Practice Committee or the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Cairns lawyer Michael Finch has joined Mr Singh's defence team.

The hearing is scheduled to end on Tuesday.

Toyah Cordingley was in secret relationship before her alleged murder, Supreme Court hears in Cairns​

Toyah Cordingley was in secret relationship before her alleged murder, Supreme Court hears in Cairns​

RS has said he will fight the charges. I'm guessing that this was only brought up to put the blame elsewhere. Hope the judge doesn't allow it. How awful to have this brought up now after her death. moo

I would hope that the police has already checked out the boyfriends and eliminated them.. While there is solid evidence to tie RS to the crime.

I would hope that the police has already checked out the boyfriends and eliminated them.. While there is solid evidence to tie RS to the crime.

I am not sure why the media are only reporting on Toyah's boyfriend's movements, and about her other friend.
Maybe the pre-trial testimony about RS has been suppressed for some reason? Like maybe sub judice, if they have (presumably) not yet selected a jury?

imo

Boyfriend was suspect #1 in the beginning. But that is usually how murder investigations go. Start close to the person and work out from there.

I am not sure why the media are only reporting on Toyah's boyfriend's movements, and about her other friend.
Maybe the pre-trial testimony about RS has been suppressed for some reason? Like maybe sub judice, if they have (presumably) not yet selected a jury?

imo
The pretrial is a way for the defence to question anyone, then the judge decides if this line of questioning is allowable at the trial. It's like getting their ducks in a row before a jury is empaneled at the actual trial. It's so the actual trial runs smoothly and the defence doesn't go down any rabbit holes, while might not be allowed at the actual trial.

Is this the same Tyson Franklin?

Seems it.. Wow.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member