Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, I am not taking Gable's defense, because I don't know what happened in that apartment, other than a lovely young woman is dead. I just don't think we should be so totally surprised by the actions of this young man. Yes, he behaved very badly with women, but lots of men do, and women are not falling off of their balconies. He is not very different from many men I ran into years ago at bars, totally being a jerk, bothering females, making lewd remarks, yet I know of no women who are dead by or because of their bad behavior. I think an annoying, womanizing, drug using man is not who I would choose to hang out with, yet, some women do, and most of them don't end up falling l4 floors to their death. He may have, for lack of a better word, annoyed many females, but what caused this one to choose the balcony. Honestly, if I believed that I may be getting raped in a guy's apartment, a guy that earlier that evening I thought was attractive enough and appealing enough to go home with at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, I somehow think having sex with him would be the lesser of two evils, versus risking (and actually losing) my life, trying to climb to another balcony l4 floors above the street below. She had to see the risks involved in this balcony - what made her choose to do that? Maybe he was doing more than trying to rape her, I don't know, but what I think is, we should find out why this incident ended with this lovely young woman dead, and this man being charged with her murder. Thanks to all, Katt

Firstly, she met him at 9pm - not 2am. Facts are important here.

Second of all - regarding the sentence in your previous post that began with "I am not victim blaming but...." - the 'but' is a big deal. Therapists listen out for that all the time - because whatever comes after the qualifying 'but' is what the speaker really means.

NOTHING Warriena did or didn't do makes it okay that she died. She could have had sex with him for hours from 9pm to 2am and then he turned nasty for whatever reason.....and she feared for her wellbeing and tried to run. And it STILL wouldn't be her fault.

And the facts, as stated by the police (who are in possession of taped evidence and eye witness testimony) are that he "assaulted" her and she was desperately trying to flee for her life when she fell.

They don't just charge someone with murder for fun.......they have evidence.

<modsnip>

Honestly, if I believed that I may be getting raped in a guy's apartment, a guy that earlier that evening I thought was attractive enough and appealing enough to go home with at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, I somehow think having sex with him would be the lesser of two evils, versus risking (and actually losing) my life, trying to climb to another balcony l4 floors above the street below.

I find this statement uncomfortable. At this stage and until police release more details, we don't know what was said. You're just assuming he just wanted one-time unconsensual sex.

She had to see the risks involved in this balcony - what made her choose to do that?

She may have been under the influence of alcohol but you are starting to victim blame. As noted in the previous thread, there have been cases where women have tried to escape a situation where they perceived their life to be threatened, died from a fall and the accused was convicted of murder - even the legal establishment is not victim blaming.

Once again, I am not taking Gable's defense, because I don't know what happened in that apartment, other than a lovely young woman is dead. I just don't think we should be so totally surprised by the actions of this young man. Yes, he behaved very badly with women, but lots of men do, and women are not falling off of their balconies. He is not very different from many men I ran into years ago at bars, totally being a jerk, bothering females, making lewd remarks, yet I know of no women who are dead by or because of their bad behavior. I think an annoying, womanizing, drug using man is not who I would choose to hang out with, yet, some women do, and most of them don't end up falling l4 floors to their death. He may have, for lack of a better word, annoyed many females, but what caused this one to choose the balcony. Honestly, if I believed that I may be getting raped in a guy's apartment, a guy that earlier that evening I thought was attractive enough and appealing enough to go home with at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, I somehow think having sex with him would be the lesser of two evils, versus risking (and actually losing) my life, trying to climb to another balcony l4 floors above the street below. She had to see the risks involved in this balcony - what made her choose to do that? Maybe he was doing more than trying to rape her, I don't know, but what I think is, we should find out why this incident ended with this lovely young woman dead, and this man being charged with her murder. Thanks to all, Katt

I have a DD who was a victim of terrible abuse and sadly there are many on this forum with similar if not worse stories and Im highly offended with your comment regarding having sex as the lesser of two evils. :furious:
I could go on....

Here is one example that has come from GT's own mouth!!
&#8220;Shes small so I go to hug her and lift her up and take her inside from the balcony but she totally freaks out, mumbles something about getting back to her parents and bolts out the door. Deletes me off both tinder and FB.

&#8220;Maybe I acted too abruptly and snapped her out of her little lust-trance by manhandling her.&#8221;

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...styled-superhero/story-fni0cx12-1227025849065

I've noticed a great deal of people from the BB forums and facebook comments coming to Tostee's defense. I think its becoming fashionable for people to go out in defense of the accused, and say really stupid **** to back their reasoning up :/

If it wasn't for all this public out cry and media spotlight, police might not have pursued so hard, and the evidence they needed to reveal the truth may never have been recovered.

Now it becomes a waiting game. And probably a long one. Many of us have gathered some good insight into the life of Tostee, and how can we not get a good feel for the guys character when the bulk of information is straight from his mouth?

What's even worse is the lack of compassion for the girl who died. It's everywhere. Alot of people on the BB forums have made jokes about her, some people have even made photos of Tostee killing her. Not cool.

Hopefully something positive comes out of this mess. I feel sorry for Warriena's family who have to deal with her death, only to add insult with all the disgusting ******** that's been posted over the internet to go with it.

Again... R.I.P Warriena

Honestly, if I believed that I may be getting raped in a guy's apartment, a guy that earlier that evening I thought was attractive enough and appealing enough to go home with at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, I somehow think having sex with him would be the lesser of two evils, versus risking (and actually losing) my life, trying to climb to another balcony l4 floors above the street below.

Thanks to all, Katt

Okay, then. First of all, the victim met up with GT at 9 pm, not 2 or 3 am. Secondly, I am just perplexed that anyone in this day and age could honestly believe that a woman should just give in and have sex with her rapist. Really? Wow! Just wow.
:stormingmad:

I am so sorry - I did not mean to offend anyone. I did certainly not mean it is okay to rape anyone or manhandle and it is not okay to even treat a female badly. What I did mean, is what was happening that she suddenly decided that the balcony was the best choice to make? She was at one point having fun with him, and then suddenly it goes bad. I did not mean to imply that she should choose rape. I meant that at some point there must have been an attraction, and she may have even considered sex, who knows. I find it difficult to explain without offending anyone, but if you find someone attractive enough to go to their house, stay a while and suddenly it turns so ugly the balcony is the best alternative, then what was it? I mean to say even if I was very offended by the male, and I certainly do not want to have sex with someone I have said no to, I may make that choice and have him arrested as soon as I leave, but I might make some very strange choices before I would make the choice to go the balcony, unless my life was more at danger in the apartment than it may have been on the balcony. None of us know what exactly transpired except those two, (any maybe the police, if they have tapes), but I believe that whatever it was had to be so horrible that she chose to risk (and, as I said, lose) her life rather than stay in that apartment with him. Had it been me, I believe I may have made a different choice, but I don't know what was going on. In the meantime, I wish to say, I expressed myself very badly, and for that, I am extremely sorry for anyone who I may have upset or caused bad feelings. Please accept my apologies. I certainly do not condone rape, nor sex with anyone who says no for whatever reason, I just myself may have made another choice, if it would have saved my life. I'm sorry if that is an extreme point of view - that is just my opinion. Thanks, Katt

I just wanted to add that certainly it would be very traumatic for Warriena, but at least she would still be alive. If what he was doing was so horrible that she preferred to risk her life, then I can understand the balcony. I just think that if you are still alive, you can deal with most anything with G--d's help. (I don't know if I can say that). So, while I have never (fortunately) been in her situation, I would hope that I would do whatever I could to stay alive and then do whatever needed to have him arrested. Maybe she thought the balcony was not going to be as difficult as it was, I don't know that. I, however, am very fearful of heights, so I would endure and then get out as fast as I could and report him. However, as I said, I don't know what was going on, so it is difficult to speculate. Thank you again, and again, I am so very sorry to have offended. I certainly did not express what I thought very well. Thanks, Katt

Katt, I can't imagine what was so terrible to make the balcony a better option, but we have to have faith in the police, who have audio tapes which make them sure that Rrrie was violently assaulted. It is GT's right to a fair trial ... so the system is pretty civilised. You haven't offended anyone personally, you have just entered a forum which is victim friendly ...

<modsnip>

I was raped by two men at night on the street. I didn't fight back for fear of worse injury as I had already been beaten up by a group of women. I don't have the answers, but I think Katt may have thought her post through, in hindsight.

Big hugs to you, possum. :grouphug:

Everyone, please have your age-appropriate sons and daughters, older grandsons and granddaughters, watch this short 2½ minute YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wu7Ax78hXo
"Rape Poem To End All Rape Poems" by Rutgers University

Here we have Mr. GT---sad, lonely, a little pathetic, just a "brah being a brah," semi-autistic (talk about a sliding scale), only uses digital recordings for mneumonic purposes, supposedly intelligent, has staunch Facebook "friends," cares about his body, steps out of the way of bitter middle-aged women, sorry make that steps directly into the oathway of older women who become bitter in his eyes---quite the Sherlock Holmes in terms of human observation, lives the high-in-oh-so-many-ways Life on who's? dime...so much to laud...
But...
SHE'S NOT COMING BACK.

I've been thinking today ....

Those 3 phones that Tostee hid in the car ... the ones he used for recording, and Warriena's phone? Maybe? Did he maybe hang onto his work phone? Surely he would have needed a phone .. to call TO .. to have a contact point .. to get any work calls.

Did Warriena's phone also have evidence on it? Did she make a call/send a text to someone that night .. trying to get help? Something that police are keeping under their hat?

Did Tostee think that if he quickly went somewhere else he could create an alibi for himself, and hope that no-one could figure out where Warriena fell from?

I have so many thoughts about a cover-up that he may have tried to put into place.

I just wanted to add that certainly it would be very traumatic for Warriena, but at least she would still be alive. If what he was doing was so horrible that she preferred to risk her life, then I can understand the balcony. I just think that if you are still alive, you can deal with most anything with G--d's help. (I don't know if I can say that). So, while I have never (fortunately) been in her situation, I would hope that I would do whatever I could to stay alive and then do whatever needed to have him arrested. Maybe she thought the balcony was not going to be as difficult as it was, I don't know that. I, however, am very fearful of heights, so I would endure and then get out as fast as I could and report him. However, as I said, I don't know what was going on, so it is difficult to speculate. Thank you again, and again, I am so very sorry to have offended. I certainly did not express what I thought very well. Thanks, Katt

Think I understand what you are trying to say Katt. But we cannot tell our young women to Submit or Else...IF in that situation then the victim must act as she sees fit to try to survive from moment-to-moment. Needs no explanation.

Hopefully whatever was so fearful to Warriena was left in the unit and the forensic police have the evidence.

Drugs, strange devices or even a fearful look that came over his face, whatever it was Warriena was heard begging to leave and she couldn't.

I pray Warriena's family know more than we do and are on the road to peace and closure. The road will be long for them and my heart breaks for their pain.
Warriena was in Aus for a wedding so pain for everyone must be overwhelming.

I've been guilty of not expressing my thoughts properly and have been shot down over the years. I remember one of my very first posts I was called 'nuts' because I was nervous and couldn't write what I really was thinking. I'm still here Kat and now they can't get rid of me! Marly has tried a couple of times :slap:

There's a lot about this case which is disturbing. I don't want to keep reading about the accused, for one thing. GT is commonly described as a creep. Rrie tried to do good. The difference between them is marked.

I've been thinking today ....

Those 3 phones that Tostee hid in the car ... the ones he used for recording, and Warriena's phone? Maybe? Did he maybe hang onto his work phone? Surely he would have needed a phone .. to call TO .. to have a contact point .. to get any work calls.

Did Warriena's phone also have evidence on it? Did she make a call/send a text to someone that night .. trying to get help? Something that police are keeping under their hat?

Did Tostee think that if he quickly went somewhere else he could create an alibi for himself, and hope that no-one could figure out where Warriena fell from?

I have so many thoughts about a cover-up that he may have tried to put into place.

One phone could've been set up in his car as dash camera.
Second could be his usual and maybe the other was a tablet.

Where was Warriena's bag and phone?
Poor little girl. :(

Using my old android tablet and Dailyroads.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...&highlight=car

You tube is full of 'the watchers' who'll stand back and record incidents but never help.

Then there's the others who do all they can to help.

GT is the worst type, a sickeningly weak individual who watched from a hiding place then ran from helping in any way. This is the pathetic side of him. Even that disgusting creep Gittany walked out to be there with Lisa's body laying on the pavement.

I was raped by two men at night on the street. I didn't fight back for fear of worse injury as I had already been beaten up by a group of women. I don't have the answers, but I think Katt may have thought her post through, in hindsight.

Dear Possum, words fail me. Hugs from me as well.

One phone could've been set up in his car as dash camera.
Second could be his usual and maybe the other was a tablet.

Where was Warriena's bag and phone?
Poor little girl. :(

Using my old android tablet and Dailyroads.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...&highlight=car

How often do people still leave valuable portable electronic devices visibly attached to their dashboards these days? That's just an unintentional invitation for somebody to break into a car to obtain highly resaleable stolen goods! (Do i sound like a victim blamer now?) Even if it's an old old tablet worth next to nothing, paying for a new windscreen is expensive.

Maybe GT is the kind of stupid that would leave something in such a place.

(I'm still thinking GT uses a second phone for drug dealing even if everyone else disagrees.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn