Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, NSW, 12 Sept 2014 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also from the article:

After receiving a complaint, the Council asked the publication to comment on whether such prominent treatment focusing on a single "person of interest" had breached the Standards of Practice relating to privacy and fairness, as Mr Spedding had not been arrested or charged and police said at the time it was "not a major breakthrough", "no person had been charged" and "a number of persons had been spoken to as part of this phase of the investigation".

Wow that's a long sentence! lol

It states "a" complaint. BS may have gotten a lawyer involved. JMO

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I agree. Krig just a question I wonder if in wt case le were to use a text tip line that's annonomous like used in the US it may generate some leads, we have crimestoppers here but I wonder if someone who has information may be more likely to text something rather than call to tip or to report something on line. Are text tip lines used widely in the US and are they effective or do all kinds of weirdos just text in random made up tips. Just my opinion.

Also from the article:

After receiving a complaint, the Council asked the publication to comment on whether such prominent treatment focusing on a single "person of interest" had breached the Standards of Practice relating to privacy and fairness, as Mr Spedding had not been arrested or charged and police said at the time it was "not a major breakthrough", "no person had been charged" and "a number of persons had been spoken to as part of this phase of the investigation".

Wow that's a long sentence! lol

It states "a" complaint. BS may have gotten a lawyer involved. JMO

Mmmm I've often thought this was going to come up, back in those early days of Spedding's name and photo coming out.

I thought it a terrible thing to have happen (his name and photo coming out) if he had nothing to do with it, as it would likely smear his name and impact on his business, even were he cleared of any involvement.

Despite obviously not knowing either way about his involvement I didn't think it right for his name to've been publicised (unless of course the police wanted it to be, and not sure how that works into the Standards, eg if the police asked them quietly to put him out there for their own ends, were they throwing the media under the bus and opening them up to culpability?).

Obviously once one outlet put it out there the others would (have to) jump on it too.

These historical child abuse charges that have since arisen make it less concerning, and more of a likelihood that his being named wasn't unintentional, but that doesn't change the fact that the media may well have done the wrong thing when he hadn't (and still hasn't) been charged with anything to do with William.

For all we know he was a PoI because the police already knew of the historical allegations, and/or had some reason to believe he knew (moving in the same circles etc) whomever they believe to be involved.

Despite obviously not knowing either way about his involvement I didn't think it right for his name to've been publicised (unless of course the police wanted it to be, and not sure how that works into the Standards, eg if the police asked them quietly to put him out there for their own ends, were they throwing the media under the bus and opening them up to culpability?).

It would bother me a lot if this turned out to be the case.
It really seemed at the time like the police were okay with the media putting him everywhere. Just one comment about how they should be careful.

Yes I thought it was dreadful when those first articles came out too - it seemed way to early to be naming and shaming him. And of course we didn't know about the historical charges back then either. I'm still cautious when it comes to speculating too much about his involvement in William's disappearance, but I hope he gets thoroughly nailed for the other charges if he is proven guilty. And then I do hope that any info about William and his whereabouts follows swiftly.

I know folks have been constantly posting about how long it has been since William first disappeared, but it was really only the other day when I was reading about how it's heading towards the one year mark that I was kind of gobsmacked . Nearly a whole year! :(

It would be great to hear something from Jubelin and his guys about now.

He was last seen wearing a white and grey Thomas the Tank Engine shirt with a red collar, denim shorts and Thomas the Tank Engine sandals.
Police describe the man as 181 centimetres tall with a medium build, light brown hair and brown eyes. He was Police describe the man as 181 centimetres tall with a medium build, light brown hair and brown eyes.
He was last seen dressed all in black in a t-shirt, running shorts, running shoes and a dark-coloured backpack.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...rom-cairns-20150806-git775.html#ixzz3i1MRkaBR
Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook

two-year-old boy has been abducted from Cairns, with police desperately searching for a vehicle he is believed to be in.
Police fear Oliver Steer "may be at risk" after being taken from a property on Wiseman Road in Edmonton about 2.05pm.
A man was seen putting the boy into a silver 1998 Ford Falcon with registration number 726-TYN. The car was last seen heading south on the Bruce Highway at Kurrimine Beach.

Read more: http://www.brisbanet...l#ixzz3i1JWE600

The Council considers these articles accurately reflected the shifting focus of a lengthy and involved police operation conducted over several months and of great public interest. At the time of the report, the police interest in Mr Spedding had intensified with police conducting searches of two properties of his in the public gaze. The expectation of privacy in such circumstances is lower. In the circumstances, the article did not infringe on a reasonable expectation of privacy. As to fairness and balance, the article informed the public of the progress of the investigation and of the level of scrutiny focused on Mr Spedding at that time. The headline did not imply that Mr Spedding was the only person of interest.
Council is of the view that more prominence could have been given to police comments that Mr Spedding was only a "person of interest". However, the inclusion of comments in support of Mr Spedding contributed to the articles' overall fairness and balance.
Accordingly, Council has concluded that its Standards of Practice were not breached.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/press-council-adjudication-20150805-gis5br.html#ixzz3i1warwUG
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Bolded by me.

He was last seen wearing a white and grey Thomas the Tank Engine shirt with a red collar, denim shorts and Thomas the Tank Engine sandals.
Police describe the man as 181 centimetres tall with a medium build, light brown hair and brown eyes. He was Police describe the man as 181 centimetres tall with a medium build, light brown hair and brown eyes.
He was last seen dressed all in black in a t-shirt, running shorts, running shoes and a dark-coloured backpack.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...rom-cairns-20150806-git775.html#ixzz3i1MRkaBR
Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook
Praying for this boy's safety!!! Poor little thing. So glad they have the vehicle make and plate number. It upsets me so much that Australia does not have an Amber Alert system in place. When this happens in the US it comes right across my cell phone.

It would bother me a lot if this turned out to be the case.
It really seemed at the time like the police were okay with the media putting him everywhere. Just one comment about how they should be careful.

I made a comment a few pages back about both MSM and police crossing the line. This is exactly what I was referring to. While police have always said BS was only a POI, it is a breach of NSW police guidelines to name a POI. I know that police didn't release his name, only confirming he was a POI, but they have done an excellent job of half heartedly reminding us of that fact, making it obvious that he is their major suspect.

I found it very disturbing that the officer in charge of the investigation was interviewed by both print and TV media regarding the investigation, in the full knowledge that the focus of the news articles was on BS.

Eye-scanners used to track terrorists are being adapted to help search for missing children.

Researchers at a Pittsburgh university have developed high-resolution cameras that can be placed at major checkpoints, such as airports and border crossings, to scan a person's iris from 40-feet away.

It means missing people could be identified through their eye's iris, even if their physical appearance has altered drastically.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-missing-children-like-Madeleine-McCann.html

First time I've ever seen William's thread on the second page. Still thinking about little Spiderman every single day.

Poor little William. I just find the fact that A child can be snatched like that and no one sees or hears a thing unbelievable. How could whoever took him have such good luck for one neighbour to be out one to be away and to just grab a kid and not be seen at all. I'm thinking that if he was snatched from in full view of the little house across the road unless he knew that house was empty it was taking a huge risk to grab him from there. I mean no one is sure exactly where he was grabbed but can you see that celerywood tree from the driveway of the house across the road? If the occupant of that little house were home that day they would have been able to see exactly what happened that morning.Just my oppinion.

Hi all. It took me 2 weeks to read through all the threads, long winded although very interesting AND I finally got to the end. I had lots to say but now I cant remember what it was. Just testing that this is the way to post correctly.

:greetings:
Hi freezer :) Good on you for reading through all the threads, that's a lot of reading!
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Hi all. It took me 2 weeks to read through all the threads, long winded although very interesting AND I finally got to the end. I had lots to say but now I cant remember what it was. Just testing that this is the way to post correctly.

Welcome Freezer.:welcome:

I just read the whole thread too (well skipped a bit in the middle). After reading all of this I have one main thought. If WT was abducted (which I think he was) and given to a pedo-ring, we are totally relying on someone in the ring or someone that knows of the ring or part of the ring to come forward at this point. If these children are in pedorings, everday people are not seeing them. WT will not be enrolled in school or be out and about in public for normal people to spot him. It is a sad state of affairs for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeTarot