GUILTY AZ - Ame Deal, 10, suffocated in footlocker, Phoenix, 12 July 2011

Sharing a Google Alert:

Ame Deal update: Jury's decision moves Phoenix man closer to death penalty
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...ion-moves-phoenix-man-closer-to-death-penalty

PHOENIX - Jurors have found aggravating factors that could make a Phoenix man eligible for the death penalty in the 2011 murder of a 10-year-old girl.
[.....]
Closing arguments in the penalty phase of John Allen's trial are scheduled to begin Wednesday morning.

Anything?? Jurors MUST have come back by now....

:waiting:

Ame Deal Verdict: John and Sammantha Allen First Couple Sentenced to Death in Arizona

Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Erin O’Brien Otis sentenced Allen to death by lethal injection, adding at least 36 years in prison for child abuse and conspiracy to commit child abuse.

After a pausing a long minute, Allen addressed the judge.

“I want to say I’m sorry,” he said, breaking down.

“What happened was an accident. I’m an idiot. I’m a jerk. It was an accident. I’m sorry to Ame. I’m sorry to her family. I’m sorry to my family. I shamed all of them.”

“In my entire career, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a worse case,” Judge Otis said after the verdict was read.

"This was one of the most unnecessary deaths of a child I’ve ever seen."

Ame’s family thought padlocking her in a footlocker was the best way for her to take responsibility when they said she took food and lied about it. On the day she died, she’d been accused of taking a Popsicle without permission.

Because of such twisted reasoning, five adults who were supposed to care for her have now been convicted of murder, child abuse, or both. John Allen's trial, like those before, was heart-wrenching and disturbing.

Will John and Samantha Allen actually be executed for Ame Deal's murder?

John and Samantha Allen became the first married couple ever sentenced to death in Arizona on Thursday.

But Arizona's death penalty is currently on an unofficial hold after a botched execution in 2014, so will the Allens' sentences ever be carried out?

Baich said the appeals process typically takes about 20 years to run its course. In that time, it's impossible to tell what changes may occur in the capital punishment process.

[video=youtube;Tr2aWHnjLnc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr2aWHnjLnc&t=7s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr2aWHnjLnc&t=7s[/video]

Finding the Girl in the Box: As Ame Deal's Living Hell Ended, It Began for Police Officer

It was a case that decimated a family, shocked a city, haunted hard-nosed cops, helped overhaul a broken child-welfare system, and consumed legal teams for six years. It made executioners of stand-in parents, turned a little girl into a prisoner, and a prisoner into a corpse. Her tormenters, in turn, became the prisoners of the state, and now the condemned.

Yet the case began like so many others: an emergency call to something seemingly very different.

Police Officer Albert Salaiz was the first to respond to the call of an injured child in southwest Phoenix.

<snipped>

The last of her killers was sentenced Thursday in Courtroom 5A in Maricopa County Superior Court. John Allen will join his wife, Sammantha, on death row. The Allens are the first married couple in Arizona sentenced to death.

The Allens had turned Ame’s prison into her tomb. With Thursday’s verdict, Ame’s death has entombed the Allens in state prison. Salaiz remains a prisoner to his memories.

'Her death was not in vain': County attorney traces DCS gains to Ame Deal's gruesome death

Montgomery traced the evolution of the state's child-welfare system to the Ame Deal murder in 2011. That crime, in which the 10-year-old was repeatedly abused over a long period of time, then left overnight in a padlocked box on a July night, was so horrific it shocked state officials into action.

"I'm able to gather some small degree, a very small degree, of consolation that her death was not in vain and served as a catalyst for change," Montgomery said at a news conference.

Thanks, JWBS for those posts. I just can't ever understand why people would get so angry about a child taking some food. My now ex-H would try to control the kids that way too. He'd always get mad about something food related. They hadn't finished their plates, or they ate too much. They couldn't win. I'd get so mad at him for it, but he just got more sneaky in what I now know was abuse all along. We've been out for over five years but all still carry the scars. Anyway. So glad Ame got justice... I hope death row will move quick on these monsters.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back