AZ - Eleven incidents, 1 injured in Phoenix freeway shootings, Aug-Sept 2015 *arrest*

In Dec he posts that he is back to work monday then off again Wednesday.

Omg on that gun. What is that? And who are those people he tagged? (I know we can't discuss them...)

"The shootings Merritt was arrested for took place on Aug. 29 and 30. The agency said the man faces a range of charges that include criminal endangerment, assault and unlawful discharge of a firearm. Milstead had previously called the incidents “domestic terrorism crimes.”"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/18/phoenix-freeway-shooter-in-custody-arizona-governor-announces/

Screenshot:

attachment.php

attachment.php
http://www.12news.com/story/news/lo...-shooter-into-custody-per-gov-ducey/72438736/

Attachments

• 2015-09-19-00-23-28.jpg
    2015-09-19-00-23-28.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 635782132319616186-Still0918-00000.jpg
    635782132319616186-Still0918-00000.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 80
Phoenix freeway-shootings suspect Leslie Allen Merritt Jr. tied to first 4 incidents
Megan Cassidy, Jim Walsh, Connie Cone Sexton and Dianna M. Náñez, The Republic
11:47 pm mst September 18 '15

In the videos there are witnesses to the arrest who share their impression of the arrest and consider his demeanor:

"He knew it was over."

His father, however, defends him vociferously as a scapegoat too hastily arrested by DPS in an extended interview, then somehow ties it with people out to push gun a gun control agenda. Sounds like a tough night for a supportive dad who has done time himself and may know what his son faces, if found responsible for the four shootings linked to his gun, so far, according to LE's investigation.

~

Arizona officials name suspect arrested in Phoenix's Interstate 10 shootings
By James Queally & Steve Padilla, Los Angeles Times
11:47 pm, tonight

Bart Graves, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety

[...]

speaking during a televised news conference from Phoenix, said local, state and federal authorities participated in the manhunt. He did not provide details on what led to the arrest, saying, “This is the result of old-fashioned police work.”

~

Suspect arrested in 4 of 11 Phoenix freeway shootings
By Walter Berry and Brian Skoloff,  AP / Washington Post
September 19 @ 2:22 am

Leslie Merritt Sr. said he believes his son is being made a scapegoat by police who were desperate to make an arrest under immense public pressure.

“He has way too much value for human life to even take the slightest or remotest risk of actually injuring someone,” he said of his son.

~

http://www.azfamily.com/story/30068107/family-members-of-alleged-freeway-shooter-speak-about-arrest

I  10 suspect post.jpg

Derek Staahl and 3TV team report more details, and videos, such as of the suspect target practicing

'Lives in Glendale and "used to work" for a landscaping company.'

~

Omg on that gun. What is that? And who are those people he tagged? (I know we can't discuss them...)

The Gun seems to be a modified Praetorian LWRC AR

In Dec he posts that he is back to work monday then off again Wednesday.

Huh. That is interesting, considering the timing of the NOCO shootings early on. Maybe it could be somebody with a very similar work profile, though the younger end like him and being on some kind of schedule that coincided with school, sports or something too.

"The shootings Merritt was arrested for took place on Aug. 29 and 30. The agency said the man faces a range of charges that include criminal endangerment, assault and unlawful discharge of a firearm. Milstead had previously called the incidents “domestic terrorism crimes.”"

<photos and links snipped>

Milstead was probably on solid ground in identifying the I-10 shootings as domestic terrorism. The definition is pretty broad. An act only has to be criminal, dangerous, intimidating, and within the US to qualify as domestic terrorism under the USA PATRIOT Act:

(A) acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; [that]
(B) appear to be intended&#8212; (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and [that]
(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States."

And how far did he live from the shootings? And work from the shootings? Did he do the shootings on his off days, work days, both, and if on work days was it before work, after work, at lunch...

Any military background?

I'm surprised for some reason he is not single...

As FHG mentioned, what gaming sites if any?

I want to know everything there is to know about this guy (I think...).

They found bullets in the cars in AZ, but not here...

Does a frangible bullet leave a different size hole than a regular bullet?

Any chance this guy used frangibles?

Was he ever perched?

Any chance he did some of the definitive bb/pellet shootings? For some reason I doubt this. Maybe we do have a bunch of copycats running around here, maybe the slingshot, etc and a large number of shatterings are not our killer...

I can't sleep!!! But FHG has ordered me via pm to try to get some rest so I guess I'll post my other million questions tomorrow (I snuck back in for one more post lol).

:eek:fftobed:

Lol on the sugar. His profile pic is of DeNiro but his gf/wife looks cute.

Remember, perps fbs usually go poof quickly, so screenshot as necessary!

It may go "poof" from Facebook but there's always a cache somewhere, like Google cache.

It may go "poof" from Facebook but there's always a cache somewhere, like Google cache.

pappa rob, welcome to the thread. I can't pull up his facebook this morning. How does that Google cache work? TYIA.

And how far did he live from the shootings? And work from the shootings? Did he do the shootings on his off days, work days, both, and if on work days was it before work, after work, at lunch...

Any military background?

I'm surprised for some reason he is not single...

As FHG mentioned, what gaming sites if any?

I want to know everything there is to know about this guy (I think...).

They found bullets in the cars in AZ, but not here...

Does a frangible bullet leave a different size hole than a regular bullet?

Any chance this guy used frangibles?

Was he ever perched?

Any chance he did some of the definitive bb/pellet shootings? For some reason I doubt this. Maybe we do have a bunch of copycats running around here, maybe the slingshot, etc and a large number of shatterings are not our killer...

I can't sleep!!! But FHG has ordered me via pm to try to get some rest so I guess I'll post my other million questions tomorrow (I snuck back in for one more post lol).

:eek:fftobed:

All good questions and food for thought, margarita25. Doubt frangibles were used by LAM in the four shootings that he is tied to due forensics/ballistics. Ballistics tests are virtually impossible to conduct when frangibles are used due to the disintegration of the bullet and tinning of the gun barrel..

Doubtful that LAM served in the military due to his age unless he was in the reserves or national guard. According to his facebook page, I got the impression that LAM belonged to a firing range and possibly grew up around guns; sport shooting, hunting, etc. I believe LAM's father mentioned in his short media interview; F@^#% Moron, that he was very familiar with gun safety rules.

During last night's presser, it was mentioned that the investigation was continuing, warrants had to be served, etc. Imo, others close to LAM likely knew of his devious activities. Imo, I believe that others were likely involved either directly or indirectly.. Guess, time will tell..
I am really impressed with the professionalism and media management strategy by the Arizona I-10 Sniper Task Force investigators for their transparency, by instilling vigilance and awareness within the community. We are living in the communications era. As we have all witnessed in this case, it is critical for the public's safety, to keep the citizens informed. Silence and the antiquated close to the vest strategy of the past only causes innocent victims lives and mounting cold cases, imo...

Awesome work on Arizonas part! They took this very seriously right from the start.
His FB page was gone before I saw it. Thanks for the posts with info from it.

Hopefully we will hear a motive for the Arizona shootings. Maybe it will help us see if there is a connection in all the states.

Is there any evidence that the Arizona suspect had been in Northern Colorado or other areas that had freeway snipers?

Fox News airing LAM's first court appearance LIVE anytime now...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...x-freeway-shootings-suspect-custody/72439462/
Megan Cassidy, Jim Walsh, Connie Cone Sexton and Ken Alltucker, The Arizona Republic
11:25 am, mst. September 19 15

facing four counts each of drive-by shooting, intentional acts of terrorism and discharging a firearm within city limits. He also faces criminal damage, endangerment and disorderly conduct.

"All I have to say is ... I'm the wrong guy,"...

Merritt said in a quivering voice, "I could never afford that bond."

[...]

A central Phoenix pawnshop played an apparent role in the case. Mo Money Pawn said in a statement posted Friday on Facebook that, at the request of DPS investigators, it provided several weapons to authorities for testing and that "after further ballistics testing found the weapon they thought to be the match of the weapon used in several of the I-10 shootings."

[...]

~

Suspect in Arizona Freeway Shootings Tells Judge 'I'm the Wrong Guy'; Bail Set at $1 Million
By AP PHOENIX / ABCNEWS
Sep 19 '15, 2:11 pm et

Who is Phoenix freeway shooting suspect? Leslie Merritt Jr. has faced criminal charges before
Dave Biscobing, ABC15 AZ looks into his varied "criminal past"
10:53 PM, Sep 18 15
Suspect Background.png

~

Hopefully we will hear a motive for the Arizona shootings. Maybe it will help us see if there is a connection in all the states.

Is there any evidence that the Arizona suspect had been in Northern Colorado or other areas that had freeway snipers?

Great questions. I'll take whatever information that would help cast light on the other incidents and how to stop them and find the language used by his dad in defense of LAM interesting. Sometimes, motive, reasoning, etc... leave threads in the vernacular used by those making a point. It seems a well studied defense.

Leslie Merritt Jr was arrested Sept 18, 2015 and charged with shooting at cars of Phoenix freeways (1).

"PHOENIX — Leslie Merritt Jr. sat in a police interrogation room, unaware of why he had just been swarmed by SWAT officers and whisked away in handcuffs." (2)

"The interrogation went on for more than two hours, culminating with the detective telling Merritt that ballistics experts had matched his handgun to four of the 11 shootings, and that they had him on video pulling the trigger. The latter was a lie. The former would be the undoing of it all. Seven months after Merritt’s arrest, the entire case fell apart, leading to his release, the dismissal of charges, allegations of a botched investigation and a gunman authorities dubbed a domestic terrorist possibly still on the loose." (2)

In court the day after his arrest, Merritt adamantly denied shooting at any cars, telling the judge, "I'm the wrong guy." (3)

What Merritt should have told the judge was:

Those are not my bullets, your honor!

Attorney Brandon Mayfield was falsely accused of involvement in a terrorist bombing based on a reported (by the FBI) fingerprint match that was not really a match. (4)

''That's not my fingerprint, your honor,'' a baffled Mr. Mayfield said at one point to the judge during a hearing after his arrest, pleading not to be taken to jail. (4)

Now there is a case with this time multiple matches, to bullets and bullet fragments instead of fingerprints, that turned out not to be matches. Leslie Merritt Jr was falsely accused of being involved in random freeway shootings in Phoenix Arizona and spent 7 months in custody before being released with zero bail and electronic monitoring. The charges were soon dismissed.

In one of the news videos, the word "arrogance" is used to describe Merritt (5) for daring to make such a statement in court professing his innocence, against advice.

Attorney Brandon Mayfield also spoke up in his defense in court but was not called arrogant. Is this because he is an attorney? Do attorneys have special rights to freedom of speech?

Indeed, it was the investigating agency (the FBI) that was called “arrogant” in the Brandon Mayfield case. (6)

"Since Aug. 29 [2015 through September 18, 2015], there have been 11 confirmed shootings of vehicles in the Phoenix area involving bullets or other projectiles. Most occurred along Interstate 10, a major route through the city. The Walmart where the suspect [Leslie Merritt Jr, a Glendale Arizona landscaper] was arrested is 6 miles north of where some of the shootings on I-10 occurred." (7)

"Out of nowhere, this cop comes out and he has (a rifle) pointed at (the suspect), and he's like 'get on the ground!'" [Eyewitness Joey] Bennett said. (7)

The governor of Arizona broke the news about the arrest:

"We got him!" [Arizona Gov. Doug] Ducey tweeted. "Great work by Arizona DPS investigators and SWAT team." (7)

BREAKING: We got him! DPS SWAT team is in custody of the individual suspected of I-10 shootings. Apprehended moments ago. (7)

— Doug Ducey (@dougducey) September 19, 2015 (7)

"[Arizona] Department of Public Safety Director Frank Milstead announced the arrest at a news conference two hours later, saying a suspect was arrested in four of the 11 shootings. He said the investigation continues." (7)

Milstead said the suspect was arrested in the first four shootings, which took place on Aug. 29 and 30. The agency says the man faces a range of charges that include criminal endangerment, assault and unlawful discharge of a firearm. Milstead has previously called the incidents "domestic terrorism crimes." (7)

"There have been no serious injuries..." in the shootings. (8)

The only evidence against Merritt were matches of "bullets and bullet fragments" (9) from 4 of the cases to his gun, which was retrieved for testing from a pawn shop.

"Police said a gun owned by Merritt had been matched to bullet fragments in the four shootings." (10)

"On August 31, 2015, at approximately 1048 hours, AZ DPS detective requested bullets and bullet fragments submitted to the DPS Central Regional Crime Lab to be analyzed and compared. The DPS CRCL determined the bullets and bullet fragments from all four cases came from the same source. (9)

"Ballistics doesn’t lie" said "bus driver Robert McDonald, whose bus was hit by one of the bullets." (2)

"On September 3, 2015, at approximately 1358 hours, DPS CRCL personnel identified the bullets and fragments were fired from a weapon with a specific lot of serial numbers. (9)

Question: Was the serial number of Leslie Merritt's gun on the list of serial numbers?

"DPS detectives reviewed a list of Pawn Shops that purchased or loaned money for any firearms matching the make and caliber that were identified by the DPS CRCL. DPS detectives collected the firearms that matched the search. (9)

"Investigative research conducted on the identified Leslie Merritt Jr., date of birth 06/20/1994, as the individual who pawned one of the firearms collected. (9)

"The DPS CRCL test fired the firearm pawned by Merritt. The test-fired bullets were matches to the bullets and bullet fragments from the four cases listed above. (9)

"DPS officials said they had ballistic evidence tying him to four shooting incidents on Interstate 10 which happened between August 27 and 29." (11)

"The test fired bullets were matched to bullet fragments from 4 cases, 4 casings over the last weekend in August," said [Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman] Bart Graves. (12)

The ballistics were a match and that was enough for an arrest. But it might not be enough for a conviction. (13)

"You still have to put him at the scene and prove he was the one that actually used the weapon," said Garrett. (13)

"A judge had set Merritt's bond at $1 million immediately after his arrest in September. It had been decreased to $150,000 in November." (14)

Merritt nonetheless did not make bail and spent over 6 months in jail. Later the bond was reduced to 0 and Merritt was released from jail with an ankle monitor. The charges were not yet dismissed at that time.

"Merritt maintains his innocence, and his lawyers say phone records and accounts from family members will show that he wasn't near the scene of the shootings." (15)

"Investigative research on Merritt’s social media pages identified several references to the “I-10 shooter” case. (9)

Is anyone who takes interest in a crime and posts on social media to be considered a suspect?

"Authorities say Merritt showed an extreme interest in the shootings and made a Facebook post about the arrest of three teenagers who hurled rocks at cars with slingshots in a copycat case but weren't tied to the shootings. Merritt explained that he was just following the investigation through the media." (15)

"As the case weaved through the courts, Merritt languished in jail, unable to come up with the money for his $1 million bond or expensive attorneys. He pleaded not guilty to numerous charges, including drive-by shootings and aggravated assault." (2)

"That’s when two high-profile lawyers say they saw holes in the case and stepped in to represent Merritt." (2)

"His lawyers immediately began raising questions about the evidence, citing ballistics information and phone records they say provided an alibi for their client." (3)

"As prosecutors prepared for trial, they had their own forensics expert retest the bullets against Merritt’s gun. The results were damning — but not in the way authorities hoped. The expert found the DPS crime lab came to a faulty conclusion, noting the bullets 'could neither be excluded or identified' as having come from Merritt’s gun." (2)

"Merritt's attorneys said a ballistic expert found police ballistics reports were "insufficient were insufficient to constitute an identification," according to KPNX." (10)

Recently, the County Attorney’s Office called in secondary ballistics professionals to confirm whether Merritt's gun was in fact connected to the shootings, like DPS said in September 2015 (16)

Those additional ballistics tests revealed the original bullet fragments could not be confirmed to be from Merritt's gun. (16)

"Prosecutors also enlisted the FBI to use Merritt’s cellphone to track his movements on the days of the shootings. Defense lawyers say that was strike three, indicating he was nowhere near the crime scenes." (2)

"The case went back to court, and based on the new evidence, the judge reduced Merritt’s bond to zero, allowing for his release pending trial. Soon, prosecutors themselves sought a dismissal of charges without prejudice, meaning they can arrest Merritt again." (2)

"They have declined to provide explanations about the contradictory evidence and say the investigation is ongoing — and that Merritt isn’t off the hook." (2)

“There was a public thirst for blood,” [defense attorney Jason] Lamm said, “a public thirst for accountability, and that thirst was quenched by the arrest of Leslie Merritt Jr.” (2)

"A man charged in freeway shootings that rattled Phoenix last year was released from jail Tuesday amid questions about the evidence that authorities say links him to the crimes." (3)

"The release of Leslie Merritt Jr. came after a judge reduced his bond to zero and said he can return to his home under electronic monitoring." (3)

"The state's own expert now says that the identification match that DPS made does not exist," said attorney Jason Lamm. (12)

So many are asking how did it happen. (12)

"It's not always a foolproof thing, ballistics are not a foolproof thing at all," said Anthony Enriquez. (12)

Although forensic tests can successfully link a bullet to a specific gun, firearms experts say the quality of the evidence can affect the outcome of the tests. (12)

But more than likely he says the evidence DPS has looks misshapen and fragmented. (12)

When a bullet hits an object the evidence then becomes disfigured, and that affects the lab results Enriques says. Having a second set of investigate eyes on the evidence helped Merritt in this case because it appears a secondary ballistic analysis did not come to the same conclusion as DPS. (12)

"So it's not always a for sure thing, everything depends on the type of ammunition, the type of gun, and the type of object that it was shot into," said Enriquez. (12)

"You have a video of me shooting my gun out of my car?" asked Merritt. (23)

"Absolutely," Baroldy replied. (23)

Video evidence was never turned over to Merritt's defense team, and the Arizona Department of Transportation has repeatedly said it does not record freeway cameras. (23)

The detectives also claimed that the mother of Merritt Jr.'s children implicated him, which was also false. (23)

"Why would your own wife even go and tell us, 'I think he did it'?" asked Falcone. "Why would she even tell us that?" (23)

"I doubt she said that," Merritt replied. (23)

DPS Director Frank Milstead said in a late-April news conference that he still believes that Merritt is their suspect. (24)

Detectives also lied to Merritt's fiancée:

The video includes the DPS tactics, including detectives lying to Merritt’s fiancée to see what information they can obtain from her. (17)

ABC15 is not showing Merritt’s fiancée because she has never been charged in the freeway shootings. (17)

Keep in mind, as you watch the video, what the detectives are doing is not illegal. They are lying to her, attempting for her to crack. (17)

Several times, DPS says they have video of the freeway shootings incidents. Merritt’s fiancée asks the detectives to show her the photos or video of the incidents but they never show her. (17)

The Arizona DPS Director has told the public that there was video used to identify the shooter. The lies told in an investigation can take on a life of their own:

DPS Director Frank Milstead has even said publicly they looked at Arizona Department of Transportation video to identify the shooter. However, ADOT does not record video on Valley freeways. (17)

Merritt and his other family members have not been charged with domestic terrorism. As for Leslie Merritt, all charges have been dismissed, he is back at work and is suing several agencies involved in his arrest. (17)

Leslie Merritt Jr has appeared on the Dr Phil show:

Once Accused Arizona Freeway Sniper Describes His 222 Days Behind Bars: It Was ‘Mental Torture’ (18)

Additionally, Merritt says the gun wasn’t even in his possession for the fourth shooting, as, he says, it was at a local pawn shop. (18)

“Anywhere I go, I don’t know if I’m going to get good or negative comments from people. I get harassing messages. I get people telling me that I’m worse than a terrorist and I should rot in jail. But I also get, ‘We’re so glad you’re home.’” (19)

Attorneys for Leslie Merritt Jr. filed paperwork in court arguing that investigators have no valid need for the gun nor Merritt's car. Both were seized as evidence months ago. (20)

The Dr Phil site has more on Leslie Merritt Jr's interview on the show. (21)

All charges against Leslie Merritt Jr have been dismissed and he plans to file a 10 million dollar civil suit. (22)

REFERENCES

(1)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...eaks-news-of-arrest-to-leslie-merritt-jrs-dad
Phoenix freeway shootings: ABC15 breaks news of arrest to Leslie Merritt Jr.'s dad
Nohelani Graf
Posted 11:07 PM, Sep 18, 2015
Updated 7:02 AM, Sep 19, 2015

(2)
http://tucson.com/news/local/new-te...cle_09d4a8e6-0971-587a-a2f4-9e31d6e1cc58.html
New tests undo Phoenix freeway shooting case
By Brian Skoloff and Terry Tang The Associated Press May 1, 2016

(3)
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/arizona-freeway-shooting-suspect-released-from-jail/
Arizona freeway shooting suspect released from jail
CBS/AP April 19, 2016, 11:17 PM

(4)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/05/us/spain-and-us-at-odds-on-mistaken-terror-arrest.html
Spain and U.S. at Odds on Mistaken Terror Arrest
This article was reported by SARAH KERSHAW, ERIC LICHTBLAU, DALE
FUCHS, LOWELL BERGMAN, and WAS WRITTEN BY MS. KERSHAW.
JUNE 5, 2004
Amid all of the turmoil was the frightening experience of a bewildered lawyer from Portland, who grew more and more panicked that his fate was being sealed and there was nothing he could do about it. ''That's not my fingerprint, your honor,'' a baffled Mr. Mayfield said at one point to the judge during a hearing after his arrest, pleading not to be taken to jail. ''I have never seen this bag. I have no awareness about that bag.''

(5)
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/phoenix-freeway-shooting-suspect-im-the-wrong-guy/
September 19, 2015, 7:36 PM
Phoenix freeway shooting suspect in court: "I'm the wrong guy."
From video
Reporter Carter Evans:
“Tim Franklin is a criminology professor at Arizona State University. Were you surprised that he spoke in court?”
Tim Franklin:
“Yes. Stunned. And he did so against the advice of the judge.”
Reporter Carter Evans:
“What's that tell you?”
Tim Franklin:
“Arrogance.”

(6)
http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jan/07/nation/na-mayfield7
Report Says Mistaken Arrest Was Due to FBI's Sloppy Work
January 07, 2006|Tomas Alex Tizon | Times Staff Writer
SEATTLE — The FBI was sloppy and arrogant in its investigation of Oregon lawyer Brandon Mayfield, but the agency did not misuse the Patriot Act or break any laws, according to a government report released Friday.

(7)
http://www.kjrh.com/news/ducey-freeway-shooting-suspect-in-custody
Suspect arrested in Phoenix freeway shootings
abc15.com staff, wire reports
Posted 9:08 PM, Sep 18, 2015
Updated 12:10 PM, Sep 19, 2015

(8)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...oenix-freeway-shootings-questions-and-answers
Phoenix freeway shootings: Questions and answers
Associated Press
Posted 3:01 PM, Sep 21, 2015
Updated 8:56 PM, Sep 21, 2015

(9)
http://raycomgroup.worldnow.com/sto...ok-into-initial-freeway-shootings?config=H264
New court document offers 1st look into initial freeway shootings
Published Sunday, September 20th 2015, 10:02 am MDT
Updated Sunday, September 20th 2015, 11:07 am MDT
By Phil Benson

(10)
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ariz-dps-chief-says-leslie-merritt-jr-n565426
After Charges Dropped, Ariz. DPS Chief Says Leslie Merritt Jr. Still
I-10 Shootings Suspect
NEWS APR 30 2016, 10:05 PM ET

(11)
http://www.kgun9.com/news/leslie-merritt-jr-update-all-charges-dismissed-in-freeway-shootings-case
Leslie Merritt Jr. update: All charges dismissed in freeway shootings case
by abc15.com staff
posted 10:09 AM, Apr 25, 2016
updated 5:25 PM, Apr 25, 2016

(12)
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/127621183-story
Ballistics expert weighs in on I-10 suspect release
By: Nicole Garcia
POSTED:APR 20 2016 03:27PM MST
UPDATED:APR 20 2016 05:32PM MST

(13)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...oenix-freeway-shooter-leslie-allen-merritt-jr
Ballistic evidence enough to convict suspected Phoenix freeway shooter
Leslie Allen Merritt, Jr.?
Navideh Forghani
Posted 9:04 PM, Sep 21, 2015
Updated 9:35 PM, Sep 22, 2015

(14)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...release-Arizona-freeway-shooting-suspect.html
Arizona highway shootings suspect released from custody after seven months as expert witness says ballistic evidence doesn't match
Police arrested Leslie Merritt Jr in September in connection with a series of shootings that hit 11 vehicles in Phoenix
Merritt had adamantly denied the shootings at the time, telling a
judge: 'I'm the wrong guy'
A judge reduced Merritt's bond to zero Tuesday, allowing him to go home
Merritt is under electronic monitoring and is due in court next month
By ASSOCIATED PRESS and CLEMENCE MICHALLON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 20:36 EST, 19 April 2016 | UPDATED: 00:42 EST, 20 April 2016

(15)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...-merritt-jr-gives-conflicting-accounts-on-gun
Freeway shooting suspect Leslie Merritt Jr. gives conflicting accounts on gun
Associated Press
Posted 4:02 PM, Jan 12, 2016
Updated 4:03 PM, Jan 12, 2016

(16)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...ency-hearing-called-in-freeway-shootings-case
Freeway shootings update: Accused freeway shooter Leslie Merritt Jr.
released from jail
abc15.com staff
Posted 10:06 AM, Apr 19, 2016
Updated 6:28 AM, Apr 20, 2016

(17)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...leslie-merritts-fiance-in-interrogation-video
DPS lies to Leslie Merritt's fiancee in interrogation video
Christopher Sign, Katie Conner
9:54 PM, May 23, 2016
10:51 AM, May r, 2016

(18)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...na-freeway-sniper_us_574724bbe4b055bb11717239
Why Leslie Merritt Jr. Says It’s Impossible He Was The Arizona Freeway Sniper
05/26/2016 03:08 pm ET

(19)
http://www.drphil.com/videos/how-ha...ased-as-the-suspected-arizona-freeway-sniper/
How Has Life Changed For Leslie Merritt Jr. After Being Arrested, Released As The Suspected Arizona Freeway Sniper?
May 26, 2016

(20)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...y-does-dps-still-have-leslie-merritts-gun-car
Freeway shootings update: Why does DPS still have Leslie Merritt's gun, car?
Melissa Blasius
9:54 PM, May 26, 2016
10:18 PM, May 26, 2016

(21)
http://www.drphil.com/shows/exclusive-accused-freeway-sniper-speaks-out/
Exclusive: Accused Freeway Sniper Speaks Out
May 26, 2016

(22)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...l-charges-dismissed-in-freeway-shootings-case
Leslie Merritt Jr. update: All charges dismissed in freeway shootings case
abc15.com staff
10:09 AM, Apr 25, 2016
9:01 PM, Apr 25, 2016

(23)
http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/32067408/interrogation-video-released-of-accused-i-10-shooter
Interrogation video shows detectives pressed I-10 shooting suspect for a confession
Wednesday, May 25th 2016, 7:00 pm MDT
Thursday, May 26th 2016, 9:26 pm MDT
By David Baker

(24)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...y-shooting-suspect-leslie-merritt-jr-released
DPS Director Frank Milstead said in a late-April news conference that he still believes that Merritt is their suspect.

I am interested that there was the Phoenix freeway shooter last year, still not caught, and now a serial street shooter in the Maryvale area of Pheonix. LE says they're not perpetrated by the same person. But still. Anyway, I was wanting to find a thread about the Maryvale Monster or the serial street shooter, but only found this thread here. I just find the whole thing interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/us/phoenix-serial-shootings/

I am interested that there was the Phoenix freeway shooter last year, still not caught, and now a serial street shooter in the Maryvale area of Pheonix. LE says they're not perpetrated by the same person. But still. Anyway, I was wanting to find a thread about the Maryvale Monster or the serial street shooter, but only found this thread here. I just find the whole thing interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/us/phoenix-serial-shootings/

Here you go.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...West-Phoenix-serial-shootings-April-June-2016

The case against Leslie Merritt Jr was presented as slick and sophisticated, using advanced investigative and forensic techniques. If all of it were true, then these guys were almost as good as the investigators on the CSI line of TV shows. Then something funny happened. The case against Leslie Merritt Jr fell apart. He is now being called a "former suspect". (1)

First, the investigators linked 4 of the cases of shooting at cars to each other. The bullets and bullet fragments had come from the same gun. The gun was identified as a Highpoint 9 mm C9 pistol. Second, the investigators were able to narrow down the gun to a particular batch of guns made in the factory. This can presumably be done because test fires are done and saved, and the rifling on the bullets from guns made at about the same time will be more similar. Third, the investigators theorized that the gun may be in a pawn shop. When the investigators checked local pawn shops, lo and behold, a gun of that model was found. Fourth, the investigators had the bullets and bullet fragments compared with test fired bullets from the gun and found matches on all 4 cases. Fifth, the investigators found that all 4 of the shootings happened before the gun was pawned at the pawn shop. Sixth, it was reported to the media, who reported it to the public, that video from the Arizona Department of Transportation was used to identify the shooter.

Post #76:
"DPS Director Frank Milstead has even said publicly they looked at Arizona Department of Transportation video to identify the shooter. However, ADOT does not record video on Valley freeways."

When the bullets and bullet fragments were compared again later, it was found that there was no match with Merritt's gun (Post #76). When the date that Merritt's gun was pawned was cross-checked against the dates of the 4 shooting, it was found that one did not match. (2) The shooting had happened on a day when Merritt's gun was in the pawn shop. Investigators changed the timeline, changed the date of that shooting, so that it happened on a day before Merritt's gun was pawned.

(2)
"Records show Merritt's gun was in a pawn shop, Mo Money Pawn, on August 30 when officials initially said the fourth shooting had occurred. But detectives later changed the timeline. They said after re-interviewing witnesses, they discovered that particular shooting could have happened days earlier, before Merritt pawned the gun."

Defense attorney Jason Lamm pointed out that cell phone data from the FBI showed that Merritt was nowhere near the scene of at least one of the shootings (on August 29, 2015). (3) His "phone was pinging at a tower near his Glendale home".

"They [Defense attorneys for Leslie Merritt Jr] say if investigators had done their jobs, Leslie Merritt Jr would have been cleared at the start." (4)

Like falsely accused Brandon Mayfield, Merritt stood up in court and told the judge that he was innocent. In an initial interview with investigators, Merrit told them they had the wrong guy 72 times. (4) And during and after 222 days in solitary, his story never changed.

It appears that investigators did not figure out on their own that there was no case against Merritt. The facts came out at the instigation of the defense.

Firearms expert Lucien Haig looked at the firearms evidence.

New reports from the dismissed I10 shooting case reveal none of the bullets marked as evidence could be linked to the gun owned by former suspect Leslie Merritt Jr. The report also suggests none of the bullets may ever point investigators to any individual weapon. The findings were done by firearms examiner Lucien Haig, an expert in the ballistics field. (1)

There are some guns that do not leave prominent rifling marks on bullets, and the Highpoint 9 mm C9 is apparently one of them.

However, Haig said the weapon rarely leaves enough of a marking on its rounds, making linking it to found bullets nearly impossible.(1)

This report also suggests that the 4 cases were improperly linked to each other through the bullet comparisons done by the Arizona Department of Public Safety crime lab. It also casts doubt on the claim that the bullets were narrowed down to a batch of guns from the factory with a range of serial numbers. There were no news reports confirming that the serial number on Merritt's gun was on that list of serial numbers.

Further, there was no video of Merritt from Arizona Department of Transportation video cameras (post #76).

Investigators and the Maricopa County Attorney's Office are dealing with Merritt's 10 million dollar civil suit. They also have some questions to answer. How did this happen?

Here is another reference about Merritt getting his car and gun back:
Judge: Former Phoenix freeway shooting suspect Leslie Merritt Jr. to get gun and vehicle back (5)

(1)
http://www.azcentral.com/videos/news/local/phoenix/2016/06/17/84297662/

Ballistics report in Phoenix freeway shootings details gaps in Merritt case

New reports from the dismissed I10 shooting case reveal none of the bullets marked as evidence could be linked to the gun owned by former suspect Leslie Merritt Jr. The report also suggests none of the bullets may ever point investigators to any individual weapon. The findings were done by firearms examiner Lucien Haig, an expert in the ballistics field. Haig agreed the four bullets found in vehicles shot in the freeway case last summer were fired from a Highpoint 9 mm C9 pistol, the model of handgun Merritt owned. However, Haig said the weapon rarely leaves enough of a marking on its rounds, making linking it to found bullets nearly impossible. The reports go on to raise serious doubts that
former suspect Merritt was the one who shot at four vehicles in Arizona last summer.

(2)
Freed Phoenix freeway shooting suspect: 'I did not do it'
By Ana Cabrera and Sara Weisfeldt, CNN
Updated 2:13 PM ET, Thu June 23, 2016

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/us/phoenix-freeway-shooting-suspect-merritt/

The state's crime lab concluded that bullet fragments collected at the shooting scenes were fired by a 9mm Hi-Point pistol, a make of gun that Merritt had recently sold to a pawn shop.
"There's no way it's possible. I know for a fact that they can't match my gun because I wasn't shooting on the freeway," Merritt told CNN. "And as a matter of fact, during one of the incidents, my gun was already in the pawn shop."
Records show Merritt's gun was in a pawn shop, Mo Money Pawn, on August 30 when officials initially said the fourth shooting had occurred. But detectives later changed the timeline. They said after re-interviewing witnesses, they discovered that particular shooting could have happened days earlier, before Merritt pawned the gun.
"So when they realized that Leslie's gun was in the pawn shop for the fourth shooting, they tried to maneuver the timeline," said Merritt's defense attorney, Jason Lamm. "They had a theory and the facts simply didn't fit. So they had to massage the facts to fit the theory."

(3)
Leslie Merritt Jr. update: Defense attorneys slam Department of Public Safety
Joe Bartels
7:39 PM, Apr 28, 2016

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...se-attorneys-slam-department-of-public-safety

Attorney Jason Lamm revealed details in the case that he claims eliminated Leslie Merritt Junior from the start.

He showed cell phone data recovered from the FBI showing Merritt Jr.'s phone was pinging at a tower near his Glendale home at the time of the shootings on August 29, 2015.

(4)
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...se-attorneys-slam-department-of-public-safety

Newscaster:
Just how badly did investigators handle the freeway shooting investigation? Defense attorneys for Leslie Merritt Jr say it is some of the worst they have seen in all their years practising law. The defense went on the offensive today, revealing details we haven't heard before in the case. They claim DPS didn't take even simple measurements, including bullet angles. They say if investigators had done their jobs, Leslie Merritt Jr would have been cleared at the start. And from day one, Merritt has said he wasn't the right guy.

Defense attorney Jason Lamm:
"Leslie was interviewed for over an hour, and throughout that interview in one form or another, he denied his involvement 72 times."

(5)
Judge: Former Phoenix freeway shooting suspect Leslie Merritt Jr. to get gun and vehicle back
abc15.com staff, wire reports

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...leslie-merritt-jr-to-get-gun-and-vehicle-back

2:06 PM, Jun 17, 2016
5:42 PM, Jun 17, 2016
central phoenix | phoenix metro

PHOENIX - A judge ruled that the former suspect in a series of Phoenix freeway shootings will get his car and gun back.

The ruling Friday comes nearly two months after all charges against 21-year-old landscaper Leslie Merritt Jr. were dismissed.

Prosecutors said Merritt's property was part of an ongoing investigation, but Merritt's defense attorney Jason Lamm argued that nine months was more than enough time to test the materials.

Both items will be returned to him June 30.

The Maricopa County Attorney's Office declined to comment on the ruling.

Merritt had been the only named suspect in four of 11 shootings that caused panic on Phoenix-area freeways in August and September of 2015.

An expert for the prosecution found bullets in those four incidents could not be linked to Merritt's firearm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back