AZ AZ - Glen Hyde, 29, & Bessie Haley, 23, 15 Nov 1928

Okay I have come to what I believe. Having read the book, I think that their bodies were found, in a way. The rope hanging from the boat was stuck completely stuck. They could not get the rope out no matter how hard they tried to pull it out from the water. So they cut in. In the book, it states many people criticized them for cutting that rope, stating the rope may have been caught around the foot of Bessie. Probably not wrapped around the foot of Glen, because odds are Bessie would know she would have had no chance to save Glen and would have been too afraid to try it. But Glen on the other hand, the strong swimmer, would have gone in after Bessie. So I think, Bessie was tied by the ankle, and her body was stuck under some rocks, thereby holding the raft in place. I think Glen went in after Bessie, tried to save her, and got caught in the rapids. I think he succumbed to the cold water and the hard pounding waves, currents, etc. In the book they say it is doubtful that a "leather jacket" alone would float, yet a prospector saw a floating leather jacket. I think he saw the jacket bobbing in the water and didn't realize that Glen's body was still in the jacket, making it float. As for the strange stories, I am not sure what to make of them. The two women, one who claimed to be Bessie on a river trip, and the other who had Glen and Bessie's marriage certificate, were proved to have not been Bessie. I still retain that the one woman found the certificate somewhere, maybe it had been dropped accidentally by Bessie and Glen at one of their camps and was found when this woman recreated their route, searching for signs of the couple. The other woman was a big joker and liked attention, so perhaps she just said those things for attention.

Unfortunately, this is one of those cases where there are so many questions and since it happened nearly 81 years ago, there won't be many answers. Of course I thought the same thing about Everett Ruess and they found his remains after 75 years!

This case is fascinating... many twists and turns... I'm going to get the book- I can't wait to read more about it.

Maybe the mystery will be solved someday.

Praying for the missing...

Thanks to Meaghan from Charley Project, here is images of Bessies diary-and all the words that are in them, mostly poetry. Very interesting, almost ghost like to read it and see it!
It's called Wandering Leaves:
http://archive.library.nau.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/cpa&CISOPTR=34099&REC=1

Thanks for the link. And thanks to Meaghan from Charley Project for posting the diary. You're right, it's quite eerie to look at. You can feel yourself being transported back to that time period. It was fascinating to read! I think of Glen and Bessie Hyde quite often. I wish there could be a proper resolution to this case, but after 84 years, it's doubtful.

I agree! I think that they under estimated the Rivers they sailed down, maybe poor weather, maybe a snag or miscalculation got them to fall off the raft, than drown. I have always wondered why their remains would have never washed up, but possibly (not to be gory) they were eaten by animals or are still snagged somewhere down below? We may never know, I think this one is for the books!

I know this is an old thread, but this case has long intrigued me. I have one concern about the woman who had the marriage certificate - supposedly they were married in Twin Falls, Idaho and Glen had a home near there. Why would they have brought the marriage certificate on a rafting trip? Which then begs the question, if they did not have it on the trip, where did this Georgie woman get it? Perhaps she knew Bessie, or someone in Glen's family?

I know this is an old thread, but this case has long intrigued me. I have one concern about the woman who had the marriage certificate - supposedly they were married in Twin Falls, Idaho and Glen had a home near there. Why would they have brought the marriage certificate on a rafting trip? Which then begs the question, if they did not have it on the trip, where did this Georgie woman get it? Perhaps she knew Bessie, or someone in Glen's family?

I remember being intriqued by this case as well.

I know this is out ther and since I haven't re-read the case it may have been discussed but, could it be possible that this person may be Bessie?
Could she have gotten out of a bad situation and changed her identity?

Bump. Just read the book Sunk Without A Sound. Fascinating read.

I've just watched the unsolved mysterious with this case in. And I know a couple have mentioned there are inaccuracies, but this case is incredibly fascinating.

I think the obvious outcome is the drowning and definitely the most plausible, but there's just something about it that peaks my interest.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back