AZ AZ - Grand Canyon, 'Little Miss X' UP9859, Wht/Hisp Fem, 11-17, nail file case "P" & "R", Oct'58

This is the only info I could find:

- Oct. 31, Mary M. Begay: Reported missing in 1957. Skeletal remains found just outside Grand Canyon believed to be Begay, but no positive identification was made. Homicide.
- Oct. 31, Little Miss X: Skeletal remains of young female found at Grand Canyon believed to be Connie Smith who disappeared from Salisbury, Conn., July 16, 1952. Homicide.

http://azdailysun.com/news/special-report-cold-cases-to-heat-up/article_c427901d-a310-5185-8fac-e6b957283781.html

- Oct. 31, Mary M. Begay: Reported missing in 1957. Skeletal remains found just outside Grand Canyon believed to be Begay, but no positive identification was made. Homicide.
- Oct. 31, Little Miss X: Skeletal remains of young female found at Grand Canyon believed to be Connie Smith who disappeared from Salisbury, Conn., July 16, 1952. Homicide.

http://azdailysun.com/news/special-report-cold-cases-to-heat-up/article_c427901d-a310-5185-8fac-e6b957283781.html

Thank you.If any one finds any more on Mary M Begay.Please let me know.

I always thought Little Miss X was Donnis Redman.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Are these Two different skeletal remains found? I assumed it was the same one.

I always thought Little Miss X was Donnis Redman.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Are these Two different skeletal remains found? I assumed it was the same one.

I am not sure it looks as they are two different cases ,because each has it own suspected identiy?

But it sems far fetched for that time two have found two girls in the same loaction and it not have made huge huge headlines.

Here is WS' link about little miss x
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143238

I agree it does sound like two different ones.

I am interested in knowing more about Mary M Begay.

Are there any numbers or coding systems on any of the cemetery files? Its possible the caretakers used their own system for tracking burials which might, with some work, be deciphered.

Barring that, it really seems like an impossible task. There are possibly hundreds of graves in that 40 acres.

(My own familiarity with this cemetery comes from the fact that many of the victims of the tragic 1956 midair passenger liner collision over the Grand Canyon are buried here).

In your research what have you discovered as far as a number or coding system there? Am I remembering correctly when I say that these victims were first buried in the Williams Cemetery before being moved to this one?

I agree it does sound like two different ones.

I am interested in knowing more about Mary M Begay.

Mary Begay is/was a young Native American women reported missing by her family, other than that, I have no further information on her.
I understand that then Sheriff Richardson of Coconino County collected a list of missing women from around the country. But back in the day, communication was by teletype or US mail, the list may be but only a small fraction of the missing. And just because a person was listed as missing there never seems to be a correction to say that the person is no longer missing, either.

The Coconino County sheriff's cold case unit has a large case file on missing persons, and now NamUs is being utilized by the medical examiners office to list unidentified. Perhaps we'll be lucky and start matching one with the other.

Thank you Ms Suzanne for your interest. I hope I answered your question and you will help us with digging into these AZ cases further.

I doubt she will be buried under Little Miss X?? Wouldnt she be a Jane Doe?

"Lil' Miss X" definitely needs to be identified (as do any set of unnamed corpses/remains, no matter the circumstances).
But I feel pretty certain she is not Connie Smith. Does anyone know why Connie was even considered a "possible" for Ms X? I know her bones were "misplaced," but were there ever any stats (or description of some type) out there that led people to consider Connie? Was the search for X's identity widely publicized at the time? If so, I could understand a family with a missing child who heard about the remains wanting to rule their kid out.
One of my main interests (or OCD-targets, or whatever you'd call it) is geography, more specifically "maps." It would be a hell of a journey from Connecticut to Arizona even now in 2012. We now have a fairly well-developed Interstate highway system.
I cannot imagine what it would be like in 1957, especially:banghead: with a "hostage" and/or victim or remains. I live in central KY (not far from Louisville) and, as late as the mid-80s, I-64 wasn't really completed. So to get to the Philly area, as my family occasionally did, the longest part of the trip (in time, not actually distance) was on US-60 between the existing portions of I-64. (Imagine a 5-ft strand of spaghetti stuffed into a small test-tube. That's what that section of US-60 is like in West Virginia.)
There were very few, if any, Interstates/parkways/etc around in 1957. I'm looking at a 1957 KY "Official Highway Map" right now. The closest thing to a multi-lane divided highway in my state was the Kentucky Turnpike. It was a toll-road from Louisville to Elizabethtown, 40-50 miles at the absolute most, that was eventually absorbed into I-65. Thus I cannot see how someone could make it from CT to AZ with a kidnappee (?what would you call one?) or their remains. If it were Connie, how would they keep her docile enough to avoid detection on such a long ride? If she were only a corpse, I can't see how they could keep the "odor" under control long enough to make it to Ohio, let alone Arizona.
Sorry if I missed some details that would make Connie a likely possibility, but as of now I just don't see how "X" could be her.

But I feel pretty certain she is not Connie Smith. Does anyone know why Connie was even considered a "possible" for Ms X? I know her bones were "misplaced," but were there ever any stats (or description of some type) out there that led people to consider Connie? Was the search for X's identity widely publicized at the time? If so, I could understand a family with a missing child who heard about the remains wanting to rule their kid out.

The "Little Miss X" case was brought to the attention of the Connecticut State Police (CSP)when a letter from Colorado alerted them to a young girl's remains found outside of Flagstaff, AZ. And, since a few years earlier the CSP had discounted the strange confession of Fredrick Pope in Ohio (See http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=jXtWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=G-YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2601,3425106 for details) to the murder of Connie Smith; the letter and remains needed further investigation.

[FONT=&quot]POPE's[/FONT][FONT=&quot] confession recounted how he and a buddy picked up Connie Smith in CT to "take her to her family in WY". A lot of his "confession" information describing Smith was based on a missing person flyers POPE read while in police custody, as well as seeing her father
on the Art Linkletter showdescribing Connie and her being missing . POPE’s "confession" said his buddy murdered Connie Smith in AZ, buried her nearby and POPE then murdered his buddy and threw him in a nearby ravine. POPE'S confession, even after he recanted it, rang true in some parts to the CSP detectives,.

CSP requested of the Coconino County Sheriff's that Jane Doe remains, nicknamed Little Miss X’s, (a skull and jawbone and other evidence) be compared to the dental records of Connie Smith. A CSP dentist had compared paper dental record card of Little Miss X to information from the sheriff's department and his conclusion was the remains were Connie Smith. (The years between Smith going missing and when the remains were found in AZ makes me suspect of that possibility. But understanding law enforcement and science were still not aligned then, I might have made the same decision for the family.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To further investigate the remains, a Coconino County Undersheriff's hand carried Little Miss X’s remains to Connie Smith’s dentist for comparison; however, no conclusion was positively reached by her dentist. Even a follow-up forensic investigation in Denver, CO, before returning the remains to Coconino County, issued the same conclusion. The discrepancy, a tooth or location of where a tooth should have been located in the jaw seemed to be the sticking point. Dead-end.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Little Miss X’s remains are now missing or misplaced. No one knows what happened after their return to Coconino County, there is a recorded death certificate however, but it is not clear if the remains were re- entombed or if they had ever been buried in the first place. (Back then, "evidence" was often "shelved" in case of further developments.) The search for the remains has been extensive these last few years but this too be seems to be at a dead-end. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The area, Citizen Cemetery in Flagstaff, where Little Miss X, would have been laid to rest is now only a grassy field without makers and no records of plot, location map or listing of who is buried where. Another dead-end...

Evidence found, a couple of years ago, in the cold case file at the sheriff's office, was not successfully DNA matched because of the age and type of material and until further scientific methods are discovered, we are at a dead-end, unless someone can locate the exhumation records.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Considering the fact that someone may have put Little Miss X’s remains aside, maybe resting on a shelf, in drawer or file box someplace waiting for future developments, we’re at a dead-end.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any help or ideas would be appricated.
[/FONT]

There is pictures of the skull in the images section.

How frustrating that they cannot find the gravesite for Little Miss X.

To me, this particular UID screams "Donnis Redman"--from the location, to the age, to the clothing (very similar to what she was last seen wearing) and the accessories (the nail file case with initials "PR"--her nickname was Pinky). The only thing that doesn't jibe is the Native American part, but it seems possible she had that heritage somewhere in her family but they didn't identify as such.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was the teeth that led to the Native American ancestry connection. I had a great-grandmother who was full Cherokee and a great-grandmother who was half Cherokee, but you would never know it to look at the family because we turned out mostly redheads and blondes. So even though Donnis's looks didn't show any any Native American ancestry, her teeth may have held characteristics. Something to do with "shovel-shaped incisors" which I believe could only be seen from the backside of the teeth.

I can't say LE dropped the ball, the southwest was the Wild West back then, the area has always been known as a body dump, even today. Since Route 66 was a main road to California people from all over the country and the world passed through the area.

Little Miss X's remains might be logged in some note, court paper or file, but since computers are the way of life today, someone has to sit down and dig through all the paper to find the information; some of the papers have been purged, shredded or destroyed. Or the opportunity to put aside time to do the digging when your desk has a pile of open cases that might have a little more information to go and the person who committed it or has additional information is still available.

It would have been a lucky break if they found out who killed Little Miss X but since truckers, vacationers and just about anyone traveled that road, where do you start? I am thankful there is a cold case team who are trying to unravel the evidence they have and collect more to pull cases together, it's about footwork, computers and people like us that uncover bits and pieces of information that helps to provide the breadcrumbs that lead to the main story and ultimately an ending. We just have to keep at it, because like Silvia Pettem, who spent years putting out breadcrumbs until someone follow her tidbits, asked questions, shared information and tested DNA was compared did Boulder Jane Doe find her peace with a named on a grave new stone. Everyone deserves to be found and identified. Let’s hope we can do the same for Little Miss X.

There's more information about Mary Margaret Begay here: http://azdailysun.com/blogs/crimina...cle_aa7bb154-abcf-11e3-aca7-0019bb2963f4.html

This article also notes that Begay was, at the time, considered for Miss X, but ruled out - Miss X is believed not to be Natiuve American, and younger than Mary Begay (who was 20). DNA was taken from Begay's sisters and a final rule-out comparison attempted, but they couldn't get DNA from Miss X.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels
Back