MISTRIAL AZ - Isabel Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012, found deceased in 2017* *Arrest* #27

Now I am stuck in not knowing the sentencing for the contraband as @PayrollNerd is on vacation. But - maybe, just maybe she will pop in soon - looking for:
Case #CR20230759 - no need to look up his murder case - I have sentencing hearing on 4/10/24 for that.

Wednesday, April 10th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ am PT) – AZ – Isabel Mercedes Celis (6) (missing from home April 21, 2012, Tucson, found in a desert area in Marana, located off of Avra Valley & Trico roads on Mar. 3, 2017, Id’ed Mar. 31, 2017) – *Christopher Matthew Clements (30 @ time of 1st crime/36/now 42) aka James Johnson indicted (9/15/18) & arraigned & charged (9/24/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, 1 count of kidnapping a minor under 15 & 14 counts of sexual exploitation of minors. Plead not guilty. $2M cash only bond. DA will not seek DP.
Murder trial for Isabel began on with jury selection on 2/9/23 & a jury was selected. Jury: 9 men & 6 women. Only 12 will actively participate in the trial (other 3 will be alternates). Pima County Superior Court Judge James Marner presiding.
Trial began on Tuesday, 2/14/23 thru 3/3/23. Jury deliberations for a total: ~7 hours. Jury could not come up with a verdict & Judge James Marner declares a mistrial. 11 voted for conviction, one for acquittal. Mistrial declared by Judge.
Re-Trial began on 2/6/24 with jury selection. Done. The jury has only one alternate. (4 women & 8 men).
Jury deliberations: 2/27/24: ~2pm to 5pm/~3 hours. 2/28/24: ~10:30am to 5pm/~5 ½ hours. Total deliberations: ~8 ½ hours. 2/29/24: ~4 hours. Total deliberations: ~10 hours.
Court in session Tuesdays thru Fridays. 2/29/24, 3/1 & 3/5/24. State rested their cases on 2/21/24. Defense began their case on 2/21/24 & rested their case on 2/23/24. Closing arguments on 2/27/24.
The Pima County Superior Court jury found Clements guilty (2/29/24) on charges of 1st degree murder, kidnapping & 2nd degree burglary for killing Isabel. Sentencing date on 4/10/24.
Judge James Marner presiding. Prosecutor Tracy Miller & defense attorney Eric Kessler.

Court hearings from 8/23/19 to 12/20/23 & Jury Selection (2/6/24) & Trial Day 1-13 (2/7-2/29/24) & Verdict Watch Day 1-3 (2/27-2/29/24) reference post #794 here:
[URL='https://www.websleuths.com/fo...eceased-in-2017-arrest-27.464075/page-40[/url]

3/6/24 Update: A status hearing on 3/25/24 @ 11am is to set a sentencing date according to Tracy Miller of the Pima County Attorney’s office. Tracy Miller said that the State will pursue a natural life sentence for Clements. Kessler said that sentence is likely what the judge will have to hand down.
3/25/24 Update: A 4/10/24 sentencing date for Clements was set Monday after a status hearing in Pima County Superior Court.
*Maribel Victoria Gonzales (13) – Trial started 9/13/22 & ended 9/30/22 with a guilty verdict. Sentenced on 11/14/22 to natural life in prison & 17 years for kidnapping. The kidnapping sentence will be served consecutively with the sentence of natural life.
*Trial for Fraud began on 1/30/23 & ended 2/2/23 with a guilty verdict. Sentenced on 3/27/24 & received probation & ordered $$ to be repaid.
*Contraband charges – Motions hearing on 3/26/24. No update as of 4/10/24.

Man convicted of killing 6-year-old Tucson girl sentenced to natural life in prison.
Natural life sentence.
From article:
A man convicted of killing a 6-year-old Tucson girl, whose body was found years later in a remote desert area, was sentenced Wednesday to a natural life prison term.
Before sentencing, Christopher Clements read a rambling statement in court and said he didn’t feel he was given a fair trial.
Judge James Marner also sentenced Clements on Wednesday to a 17-year prison term for kidnapping and 3 ½ years for burglary, all to be served consecutively to previous convictions.

4/10/24

Christopher Clements gets a sentence of life without parole in the killing of 6-year-old Isabel Celis

TUCSON, Ariz. (KGUN) — For some people the kidnapping and killing of 6-year-old Isabel Celis is burned into their memory. It happened 12 years ago, but just imagine the terror of a girl who disappears from the family house and is never seen alive again.

Now we know the punishment for the man convicted in that murder.

There was no sign of Isabel Celis until five years after she disappeared, when Christopher Clements offered to take investigators to her in return for getting unrelated charges dropped. He said he didn’t kill her, but simply knew what he knew.

[..]

Isabel’s parents, Becky and Sergio, did not want to appear on camera as they spoke in court but their voices carry a grief that will not go away.

“The Bible speaks of God's wrath, and it has been shown to be great. He has hurt many many little ones, including my baby girl Isabel. Punishment in this world will never be enough for the amount of pain and suffering he has caused. God, Karma, Mother Earth, whatever you believe in. All of this has a way of making things right that no one can escape.”

~Becky Celis
“Myself, until the day I die, I will feel responsible for not doing my job and protecting my little girl from the evil that lurked outside her window.”

~Sergio Celis
The law allows Clements to speak. The Celis family had stepped out of the courtroom by the time he did. He claimed his innocence, complained Judge James Marner ran an unfair trial and compared him to dictators from history.

Oh good! Another life sentence!

Now all he has left is the contraband charge.... Any updates on that on @PayrollNerd ? I have his last date on that on 3/26/24. Or will they just vacated that charge? TIA!

Case: CR20183978 Murder
CLEMENTS, CHRISTOPHER

Case: CR20230759 Contraband
CLEMENTS, CHRISTOPHER

There's nothing on his calendar online. Is the 3 1/2 years for burglary for the Contraband case?

Judge James Marner also sentenced Clements on Wednesday to a 17-year prison term for kidnapping and 3 ½ years for burglary, all to be served consecutively to previous convictions.

Case: CR20183978 Murder
CLEMENTS, CHRISTOPHER

Case: CR20230759 Contraband
CLEMENTS, CHRISTOPHER

There's nothing on his calendar online. Is the 3 1/2 years for burglary for the Contraband case?

from what I have in my notes -

indicted (9/15/18) & arraigned & charged (9/24/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, 1 count of kidnapping a minor under 15.

and the contraband charge reads like this:

charged & arraigned (2/28/23) with promoting/possession of prison contraband a felony (2/7/23).

So nothing really that says "buglary" - do not know where that came from.

from what I have in my notes -

indicted (9/15/18) & arraigned & charged (9/24/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, 1 count of kidnapping a minor under 15.

and the contraband charge reads like this:

charged & arraigned (2/28/23) with promoting/possession of prison contraband a felony (2/7/23).

So nothing really that says "buglary" - do not know where that came from.

@Niner -- here you go:

^^rsbm

So you are saying the burglary charge was added with Isabel's murder charges? Has nothing to do with the contraband charge?
I think it was bad reporting where it was easy to conflate a burglary charge for one case with another. I don't know how one could be charged with burglary while in jail/prison but we know contraband charges while locked up are very common. For example, I think one of the Shover brothers has a contraband charge on the books that occurred while being held in custody, accused of murdering Aranda Briones.

I think it was bad reporting where it was easy to conflate a burglary charge for one case with another. I don't know how one could be charged with burglary while in jail/prison but we know contraband charges while locked up are very common. For example, I think one of the Shover brothers has a contraband charge on the books that occurred while being held in custody, accused of murdering Aranda Briones.

Yes - that would be Owen. Hopefully his trial is still on 4/25/24! :)

Yes - that would be Owen. Hopefully his trial is still on 4/25/24! :)
@Niner -- you've done an incredible job keeping up the the criminal activity of this pathetic worm, Christopher Clements. But he will forever be active on the criminal rolls of the Court until the day he dies. He has nothing else to do with his time and this is just entertainment for him. MOO

A perfect example is where Clements, a convicted double murderer, in 2021, petitioned the Court to RESTORE CIVIL RIGHTS RESTORE FIREAM RIGHTS pursuant to an APPLICATION UPON DISCHARGE.

Worse yet is it appears the Court recently granted him the application in February 2024.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back