AZ AZ - Maricopa, WhtMale, 40-50, UP1901, homicide by gunshot, decapitated, prominent buckteeth, watch stopped on Aug 30, "Ohio Brass" pen, Jan '83

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score

NamUs #UP1901 / Doe Network 1190UMAZ

1901_7282.jpg1901_7276.jpg1901_7278.jpg

Demographics​

Sex: Male
Race/Ethnicity: White/Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Cannot Estimate
Estimated Age Range (Years): 40-50
Estimated Year of Death: 1983
Estimated PMI: N/A (likely 4-5 months)
Height: 5'5" to 5'7" (65 to 67 inches) (news reports say approximately 5'8")
Weight: Cannot Estimate (news reports describe the man as "heavyset" with a 38-inch waist)

Circumstances​

Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: January 10, 1983
NamUs Case Created: May 11, 2008
County: Maricopa County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped): N/A
Found On Tribal Land: N/A
Circumstances of Recovery: At around 5:30 p.m. on January 11, 1983, a woman taking her Doberman pinscher for a walk in the desert north of Union Hills Drive near Cave Creek Road found a human skull with two bullet holes. The woman had allowed her dog to run freely through the desert and when the dog returned, it was carrying the skull.

After the woman alerted authorities, detectives with the Phoenix Police Department combed the desert area where the skull was found and uncovered several vertebrae which apparently matched the skull.

On January 14, 1983, a 20-member posse of members of the Maricopa County sheriff's department conducted an additional search for the rest of the remains. The remainder of the man's skeleton was found under a pile of trash about a mile east of Cave Creek Road and one-quarter mile north of Pinnacle Peak Road.

The remains were examined by a forensic anthropologist who concluded that the skull recovered on January 11 and the skeletal remains recovered on January 14 belonged to the same individual, believed to be a white, middle-aged. The anthropologist also stated that man had prominent buckteeth and may have walked with a noticeable limp as a result of arthritis in his left leg.

Although the anthropologist did not provide an estimated date of death, Detective Gus Oviedo speculated the man disappeared sometime in August of 1982, since a watch found with the remains was stopped on Monday the 30th. The last time the 30th fell on a Monday was in August 1982.
Inventory of Remains: N/A
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Physical Description​

Hair Color: Unknown (News reports say brown)
Head Hair Description: Unknown
Body Hair Description: N/A
Left Eye Color: Unknown
Right Eye Color: Unknown
Distinctive Physical Features: Prominent buckteeth; prior fractures of the right leg just below the knee and the left leg at the knee; possibly walked with a limp due to arthritis in the left leg.

Clothing and Accessories​

Clothing: Red, long-sleeve "Western-style" dress shirt with embroidered flowers above the pockets and pearly snaps, jeans (inseam 28), belt (38.5 inches from buckle to first hole) (On the Body)
Footwear: Brown Dura brand cowboy boots (On the Body)
Jewelry: Timex wristwatch, stopped at Monday the 30th -- the last time Monday fell on the 30th was in August 1982 (On the Body)
Additional Personal Items: Orange and black Ohio Brass pen.

News Coverage
Susan Leonard, "Pierced skull is found in north Phoenix desert," Arizona Republic [Phoenix, AZ], 12 January 1983, B12.

"
Skeletal remains that match skull found by posse north of Phoenix," Arizona Republic [Phoenix, AZ], 15 January 1983, B5.

"Study of bones profiles victim," Arizona Republic [Phoenix, AZ], 25 January 1983, B3.

<modsnip: removed copyrighted material>

this man could possibly be from MX too, many men dress in western wear there. the fact another head was found close by around the same time makes me wonder if it was old school cartel related. was the other head ever ID?

this man could possibly be from MX too, many men dress in western wear there. the fact another head was found close by around the same time makes me wonder if it was old school cartel related. was the other head ever ID?
I didn't find any articles about the other head being identified, but I'm going to dig a little deeper into the archives to find out more information. The other head isn't listed in NamUs, but not every agency is fastidious about entering all UID cases so it's possible the other head still remains unidentified. If I don't find any articles about it being identified, I will go ahead and reach out to either the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's Office or the Phoenix Police Department to suggest they enter the case into NamUs.

Given the fact that both heads were found in the same area at basically the same time, and both men were decapitated, I wonder if the same individual (or group of individuals) was responsible for both murders.

In searching for potential matches, I noticed something. If he was discovered in January 1983 and his watch had stopped on Monday, August 30th, it would have been in 1982, not 1983. (I updated the title and OP.) ETA: It’s possible it could have stopped on a different Monday the 30th (March 1981, June 1980, etc.), but August was the most recent month it fell that way. JMO

Last edited:
I wonder if this could be Adolphus Von Gontard, missing from Phoenix since March 1981. He was going to meet someone at the Sky Harbor International Airport who was to give him $200,000 for the sale of property he owned in Canada. Supposedly, a ticket he had purchased to fly to Las Vegas was used, but no one saw him get on the plane and no one saw him in Vegas.

John Burroughs School, Missouri 1975
IMG_3454.jpegIMG_3456.jpegIMG_3455.jpeg

Ohio Brass made electrical equipment for the power industry, railroads and trolley systems, as well as pipe valves and other brass items. They were acquired by Hubbell, Inc. in 1978. Orange and black were the company colors, as found on the UID's pen, and seen in some of the photos in the link below.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201
Back