AZ AZ - Scottsdale, WhtFem 15-19, UP12148, Skull Found in Desert, (jawbone fnd Feb'82), Oct'82

The woman, who authorities said had been decapitated, was found on a dirt road on February 16, 1982. According to an article from The Associated Press at the time, the young woman’s hands were tied behind her back and her body was badly decomposed.

In October of that year, a skull was found in the desert near Scottsdale, Arizona. Eventually, forensic pathologist Dr. Ralph Erdmann said at the time he was convinced both the body and the skull were from “a white female from the same age group,” according to the AP.

After Erdmann’s conclusion, the skull and the body were buried together in a grave in Plainview under the marker “Jane Doe.” The grave was exhumed in 2015 after doubts were raised about Erdmann’s conclusion and so DNA samples could be taken.

According to nonprofit DNA Doe Project, after the exhumation, it was determined that the skull and the body did not belong to the same person. Additionally, results obtained by the DNA Doe Project in 2019 suggested the woman was predominately African American.

However, as of February 2022, the official listing on the National Missing and Identified Persons System listed the unidentified woman’s race as white.

The DNA Doe Project said Wednesday that efforts to identify the woman are still ongoing as of February 2022.

The organization said it has been working to build a family tree based on distant DNA matches.

The organization said the woman found in Plainview had DNA matches that came from California, Pennsylvania and several southern states. However, the woman only shared a low amount of DNA with those matches.

The DNA Doe Project encouraged people who have submitted DNA for sites such as Ancestry.com, 23andMe and MyHeritage to upload their DNA profiles to the GEDmatch database.

The database has been used by various law enforcement agencies to solve cold cases, including uncovering the identity of the Golden State Killer in 2018. The DNA Doe Project has used the database to identify dozens of John and Jane Doe’s.

The organization explained how to upload matches in a video uploaded to YouTube. You can find that video here.

I'd love to know why the DNA first said she was African American and then it later said she was white.

I wonder if she could be Sheila Pauley. The main idea of this is location. Unfortunately Sheila doesn't look to much like the reconstruction. Mainly the nose doesn't fit for me.
Original
1523UFAZ_LARGE.jpg

Sheila Annette Pauley MP35495Scottsdale Jane Doe 1523UFAZ
SexFemaleFemale
Age2015 - 19
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/Caucasian
DLC/DODSeptember 1, 1980Unknown (Remains were skeletal)
Height5'6 - 5'8Unknown
Weight120 - 130 poundsUnknown
Hair Color"Blondish brown"Brown
Eye ColorBrownUnknown
Distinctive FeaturesMoles on neck, birthmark on nose.Unknown/None
CircumstancesLast seen in Ehrenburg, Arizona.Skull found in Scottsdale, Arizona
DistanceEhrenburg, Scottsdale156 miles

I wonder if she could be Sheila Pauley. The main idea of this is location. Unfortunately Sheila doesn't look to much like the reconstruction. Mainly the nose doesn't fit for me.
Original
1523UFAZ_LARGE.jpg

Sheila Annette Pauley MP35495Scottsdale Jane Doe 1523UFAZ
SexFemaleFemale
Age2015 - 19
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/Caucasian
DLC/DODSeptember 1, 1980Unknown (Remains were skeletal)
Height5'6 - 5'8Unknown
Weight120 - 130 poundsUnknown
Hair Color"Blondish brown"Brown
Eye ColorBrownUnknown
Distinctive FeaturesMoles on neck, birthmark on nose.Unknown/None
CircumstancesLast seen in Ehrenburg, Arizona.Skull found in Scottsdale, Arizona
DistanceEhrenburg, Scottsdale156 miles
The jaw looks different to me but considering there was “gnawing” to it the recon may not be entirely accurate. JMO. These articles mention she may have had protruding upper teeth and recent dental work. I think it would be worth submitting and hopefully they can use dental records to compare.

I hope someone is working on identifying her. I don’t want her to be forgotten now that Debra has been identified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back