Baez' Statement Regarding DP News

"Very few women are put to death in Florida," defense attorney Jose Baez said. "She's not a serial killer."

Isn't he kinda admitting she is a killer just NOT a serial killer? In a backasswards kinda Anthony way?

Pretty much...

"Very few women are put to death in Florida," defense attorney Jose Baez said. "She's not a serial killer."

Isn't he kinda admitting she is a killer just NOT a serial killer? In a backasswards kinda Anthony way?

Apparently she did not kill ENOUGH people?

Now there's an affirmative defense that the jury will love.

The first part of your post had me wiping tea off my screen while laughing.

The last sentence sobered me up quickly. I did not know that media statements by a lawyer could be used against his client in court. I have read that the Anthony statements could be used but never even considered Mr Baez's blustering making it into evidence. I am off to read/ listen to some of his comments. Thank you kindly for the food for thought.

I don't have time to look for linkage right now, but I am fairly sure (result of following the McCann Case) that a 'spokesperson' or 'lawyers' words can't be used against the client.

It is the very reason that high profile cases have the clients rushing to spokespeople and lawyers.

It allows them to 'speak' without being responsible for any fallout.

The first part of your post had me wiping tea off my screen while laughing.

The last sentence sobered me up quickly. I did not know that media statements by a lawyer could be used against his client in court. I have read that the Anthony statements could be used but never even considered Mr Baez's blustering making it into evidence. I am off to read/ listen to some of his comments. Thank you kindly for the food for thought.

An attorney is a representative of a client. An admission of a party opponent, made by their representative can be admitted into evidence. See the exception to hearsay from the Florida Rules of Evidence below:

(18) ADMISSIONS.--A statement that is offered against a party and is:

(a) The party's own statement in either an individual or a representative capacity; ...

(c) A statement by a person specifically authorized by the party to make a statement concerning the subject;

(Note: I doubt KC specifically authorized JB to make that statement.)

(d) A statement by the party's agent or servant concerning a matter within the scope of the agency or employment thereof, made during the existence of the relationship; or ... .

Yes, he is! Oops! There he goes again! Maybe KC has some duct tape left for his mouth.

If not, Lee can loan her his! :D

roflmao.gif

You CRACK ME UP, girlfriend! The mods should require you to supply Depends with your posts!
:crazy:

Only because she was caught before there were multiple victims. People like KC do not stop at one...

I swear Jose really needs to rely on his spokeperson. Since his client is not a serial murderer she doesn't deserve the DP ? Well, she murdered a child Jose, her own daughter no less, and the state of Florida says SHE QUALIFIES !

I swear Jose really needs to rely on his spokeperson. Since his client is not a serial murderer she doesn't deserve the DP ? Well, she murdered a child Jose, her own daughter no less, and the state of Florida says SHE QUALIFIES !
Could otherwise law abiding serial killers now sue Baez/KC.

Surely it is defamatory to announce that they are worse than this monster?

They can't have witnesses listening to what other witnesses are saying because it could influence their testimony. Even if it's an innocent influence, what the first witness said could make the following witnesses rethink or question what they know or saw if the interpretations of the incident are different. I hope that made sense?

How do they prevent that if the whole thing is televised and goes on for days/weeks?

TO JB: She is not a serial killer, you are correct, but she is indeed a baby killer.

He should have said Casey is NOT a killer, not that she is not a serial killer, because it sound slike he admits she is a killer. What a loser!

Not through the whole thread yet, so hope someone answers this.

CAN JB state she is not a killer if he knows otherwise? Ethically, I don't think he can.

Perhaps that is why he didn't?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back