Band Banned From Performing "Louie Louie"

I don't know what these parents are complaining about!

Today is Gothic Day-dress up like a goth day at my dd school (8th grade). We also have coming up ....
Rainbow Day -- aka Gay Pride - wear rainbow
Transexual Day - girls dress like guys, guys like girls

I swear to you that is exactly what the note says that she brought home from school.
:snooty:

lex said:
hi cozy! i grew up in east brunswick, new jersey. the garage band where we made all the racket was in a small town called Old Bridge. i've lived here 26 years, and 7 years in your neck of the woods, berkeley and oakland. where abouts are you? yes santa cruz has many friendly people, great place to live!

I'm in Sunnyvale...just "over the hill" from you. :) Born and raised in Texas, then moved out here almost 20 years ago...love it love it love it!

Are you still into music? That is, do you still play in a band or anything? This area seems to be a great place for musicians.

MidnightMyst said:
Ya reckon they mean THIS Louie Louie? I couldn't find who sang it....it said Hot Chocolate but I don't think that's right? This is the song I thought of when I saw the title to this thread

She was black as the night
Louie was whiter than white
Danger, danger when you taste brown sugar
Louie fell in love over night

Well, could be...but this song has a very different melody from "Louie Louie." I can't see it being played by a school band...not "march-y" enough if you know what I mean.

But the principal certainly could have thought these were the lyrics to "Louie Louie" though. ;)

kgeaux said:
...That principal has his mind in the gutter, if you ask me. There are many, many benign versions out there, and he gloms right onto the dirty one.

LOL! Kgeaux that's exactly what I thought when I read the article.

I'm in full agreement with you that this story strongly smacks of censorship, and I deplore censorship in any form. It's also IMO a story of the "tail wagging the dog" for no good reason.

Just because one or two people got their knickers in a twist over some imagined smutty lyrics, all of the kids in the band are in effect being punished and denied the chance to participate in an important event. My kids are both in their middle school's band and I know how long and hard their band practices and how much they look forward to events such as the parade mentioned in the article. I think it's a crying shame that a couple of busybodies and a spineless principal ruined what would have been a great experience for those kids.

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw115401_20050505.htm

Benton Harbor lifts "Louie Louie' ban for middle school band
May 5, 2005, 8:04 PM

BENTON HARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- "Louie Louie," the center of a decades-long pop culture controversy, is back on a middle school band's program for a weekend parade.

But she reversed herself Thursday after consulting with parents.

"Based on them granting permission and the multiple versions of the song, the students will march in the parade and play "Louie Louie," she said in a news release.

On Tuesday, band members and parents complained to the Board of Education that it was too late to learn another song for the parade four days away.

"It's very stressful for us to try to come up with new songs for the band," eighth-grader Laurice Martin told the board. "We're trying to learn the songs from last year, but some of us weren't in the band last year."

At the time, Dawning said that if a majority of parents supported their children playing the song, she would reconsider.

The FBI spent two years investigating the lyrics on the Kingsmen's recording before declaring they not only were not obscene but also were "unintelligible at any speed."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-louielouie06.html

If he were still alive, Richard Berry, the man who penned the lyrics for the iconic fraternity-rock anthem "Louie Louie," might be shaking his head in disbelief.

WHAT HE SANG

The real lyrics, created by Richard Berry:

Louie, Louie,
me gotta go.
Louie, Louie,
me gotta go.

A fine little girl, she wait for me;
me catch a ship across the sea.
I sailed the ship all alone;
I never think I'll make it home

Three nights and days we sailed the sea;
me think of girl constantly.
On the ship, I dream she there;
I smell the rose in her hair.

Me see Jamaica moon above;
It won't be long me see me love.
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again.

(Copyright 1957-1963 by Limax Music Inc.)

Golfmom, thanks for the update! I'm glad the ban was lifted and those kids will get to march in the parade. Too bad it was such a drama in the first place, but all's well that ends well. :)

And thanks for the "authoritative" version of the lyrics. They make perfect sense now, don't they. Amazing how many mis-interpretations there have been of such simple words. It's a nice song!!!!!

Cozy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dressie
Back