BBC to drop BC, AD; it's BCE, CE now

According to the Mayan calender we've only got a year left anyway, so why worry?

You are correct that the BBC is not an academic institution, but it is one of the rare media outlets that handles the news in a serious and respectable manner. People all over the world tune in to them for information and so it makes sense that they wish to use terminology that recognizes their global audience.

Well guess what??? I will never understand those terms! I'll be 60 in October. It's a point of reference for me period and I'll never use the new terminology and will probably ask 100 times what does that mean?

I am so sick of all this period!

I am a Christian and usually have tolerance but it is getting ridiculous. I know that my Savior died for my sins without a doubt! I don't force my beliefs on anyone else but I will share. This time I'm standin up and roaring! I am secure in my faith and know where I'll be after I die.

As far as I'm concerned we can be in the Paleolithic Age and I will feel the same. Matter-of-fact if I'm returned in time BC and Ad would still be a reference point for me.

I respect everyone's opinions and feelings stated here but it is time I speak.

I'm getting older and more prong to outbursts...probably senile too so I will have to be drug screaming into the future wherever this is going!

New calendar system, new metric system BC AD etc...sometimes I just get tired of having things forced down my throat!!!

One thing I can guarantee all you youngsters...change gets harder as one get older...so much harder.

Soooo I'm leaving now and it's ok to scratch your heads and say "what was that she said?" and "where did that come from?"

Don't worry if you don't understand this post cause I just had to get it out of my system...

Why should I change my stance? What is different now?

But speaking of the End of Days, what would Jesus say about condescension toward those with differing beliefs?

The difference is that it is a media outlet rather than "academia."

As for what would Jesus say about condescension toward those with differing beliefs? The Pharisees could answer that question very well for you.

Well guess what??? I will never understand those terms! I'll be 60 in October. It's a point of reference for me period and I'll never use the new terminology and will probably ask 100 times what does that mean?

I am a Christian and usually have tolerance but it is getting ridiculous. I know that my Savior died for my sins without a doubt! I don't force my beliefs on anyone else but I will share. This time I'm standin up and roaring! I am secure in my faith and know where I'll be after I die.

As far as I'm concerned we can be in the Paleolithic Age and I will feel the same. Matter-of-fact if I'm returned in time BC and Ad would still be a reference point for me.

I'm getting older and more prong to outbursts...probably senile too so I will have to be drug screaming into the future wherever this is going!

New calendar system, new metric system BC AD etc...sometimes I just get tired of having things forced down my throat!!!

One thing I can guarantee all you youngsters...change gets harder as one get older...so much harder.

Soooo I'm leaving now and it's ok to scratch your heads and say "what was that she said?" and "where did that come from?"

Don't worry if you don't understand this post cause I just had to get it out of my system...

Don't worry, tiredblondy. Nobody is being forced to change anything. The BBC just CHOSE to use BCE/CE in their own broadcasts.

I know what you mean about it getting harder to change with age.

Whether 2011 is attached to A.D. or CE does not change what the basis of the numbering system is. Pretending as if the numbering system for years is not based on some rough estimate by the Catholic Church of when one of their gods was born (or when he died, maybe?) is just covering up the truth. Other religions/cultures have their own numbering systems, which would not count this year as 2011. However, the counting-backwards-or-forwards-from-a-Christian-god's-lifetime system is used internationally and everybody knows what the number before BCE and CE really means.

ETA Forgot to mention that "Common Era" means the era in which Jewish and Christian histories merged, so the designation is Western-centric anyway. I mean, Asians and Africans are probably going, "Common WHAT Era?"

I am unable to confirm your definition of "Common Era." If anything CE marks the beginning of the divergence of the Jewish and Christian religions.

What is "common" is the inter-cultural (and interdenominational) use of the date as a demarcation in time.

There's no cover-up. All BCE and CE do is acknowledge that the resulting calendar is used by many as a matter of "common practice", not as a recognition of the divinity of Jesus. Christians are still free to think of CE as "Christian Era."

So you "don't force (your) beliefs on anyone else," you just insist that they use a calendar system that enshrines your belief that Jesus was God.

Yeah, I see the tolerance there.

The difference is that it is a media outlet rather than "academia."

As for what would Jesus say about condescension toward those with differing beliefs? The Pharisees could answer that question very well for you.

Indeed they could. Which is why I'm always surprised when Christians behave like Pharisees.

Indeed they could. Which is why I'm always surprised when Christians behave like Pharisees.

Funny. I meant that Jesus' scolded the Pharisees as well as others. He called a spade a spade and didn't sugar coat too many things.

Mountain out of a molehill, in my estimation. I've been using these terms for at least fifteen years, I can't believe it took them this long.

Progress, folks. imo

(As far as the religious nod to Christ, it still starts with him-- nothing but a term is being replaced.)

Funny. I meant that Jesus' scolded the Pharisees as well as others. He called a spade a spade and didn't sugar coat too many things.

Funny. Jesus scolded the Pharisees for many things, including corruption and legalism. But I can't recall the passage where Jesus smugly condescended to people of other faiths. Perhaps you'd like to cite that passage for us.

Funny. Jesus scolded the Pharisees for many things, including corruption and legalism. But I can't recall the passage where Jesus smugly condescended to people of other faiths. Perhaps you'd like to cite that passage for us.

He scolded pagans and unbelievers. Moses and the other authors of the Old Testament scolded believers in Bal and other false idols. It's really not uncommon. Were they smug? Probably not. But neither am I (usually.) Confident in what we know, perhaps, but not smug.

You people do understand that Jesus didn't coin the terms B.C. and A.D. right?

I'm a Christian and I don't see this change as a religious slight-

but language and terminology change constantly it shouldn't be taken as an attack on any one group of people.

He scolded pagans and unbelievers. Moses and the other authors of the Old Testament scolded believers in Bal and other false idols. It's really not uncommon. Were they smug? Probably not. But neither am I (usually.) Confident in what we know, perhaps, but not smug.

Throwing the "End of Days" at me because I believe in respecting diverse opinions is smug, not confident. (And also pointless, since I couldn't care less about your "End of Days.")

What you call "confidence" strikes me as exactly the opposite: defensiveness and doubt, because despite supposedly having the full power of an omnipotent deity behind you, you still aren't able to convince the majority of mankind that your theology is correct. So instead you reassure yourself with repeated assertions that you will be proved right in the end. Since no one can disprove idle claims about the future, yours suffice for now.

Throwing the "End of Days" at me because I believe in respecting diverse opinions is smug, not confident. (And also pointless, since I couldn't care less about your "End of Days.")

What you call "confidence" strikes me as exactly the opposite: defensiveness and doubt, because despite supposedly having the full power of an omnipotent deity behind you, you still aren't able to convince the majority of mankind that your theology is correct. So instead you reassure yourself with repeated assertions that you will be proved right in the end. Since no one can disprove idle claims about the future, yours suffice for now.

It is prophesied that mankind will become more and more Godless before Armageddon, so when I see society take another step in that direction, I see it as a sign that the End of Days (Armageddon) is getting that much closer, i.e. we took another step in that direction. I am confident in that prophesy. It isn't a smug weapon in a discussion/debate, it is an merely an observation based on what I am seeing. You took it wrong, methinks.

It's as idiotic as it was 6 years ago. I am not surprised that a European media group is the first to make the change, however. Nor am I surprised Nova is taking the same stance as 6 years ago, lol. Just one step closer to the end of days.

Here is the post in question, DK, just to refresh your memory.

Noting my alleged recalcitrance in the face of your "end of days" speaks for itself. Now this is no more upsetting to me than a warning I will encounter a hungry wolf on the way to Grandmother's house.

But I do find it smug on your part, to a degree that would likely make Jesus frown. Matthew 24:36 and all that.

Here is the post in question, DK, just to refresh your memory.

Noting my alleged recalcitrance in the face of your "end of days" speaks for itself. Now this is no more upsetting to me than a warning I will encounter a hungry wolf on the way to Grandmother's house.

But I do find it smug on your part, to a degree that would likely make Jesus frown. Matthew 24:36 and all that.

I should have used paragraphs, lol!

The comment about you having the same opinion was just me teasing you, and the comment about the end of days was NOT related to that, but instead the original topic. But I can see how it looks that way, so I will do a better job of paragraphs to separate my thoughts. My bad.

But to reiterate, the comment about you and the comment about the end of days were not supposed to be related at all. :)

ETA: Regarding Matthew 24:36, I certainly do not claim to know the EXACT date or time of the End, but I can see from the turn towards more Godlessness that it will be sooner rather than later, it would certainly seem, anyways. Watch out for those wolves, they're more real than you can imagine. ;)

I should have used paragraphs, lol!

The comment about you having the same opinion was just me teasing you, and the comment about the end of days was NOT related to that, but instead the original topic. But I can see how it looks that way, so I will do a better job of paragraphs to separate my thoughts. My bad.

But to reiterate, the comment about you and the comment about the end of days were not supposed to be related at all. :)

ETA: Regarding Matthew 24:36, I certainly do not claim to know the EXACT date or time of the End, but I can see from the turn towards more Godlessness that it will be sooner rather than later, it would certainly seem, anyways. Watch out for those wolves, they're more real than you can imagine. ;)

Explanation accepted. :truce:

(I'm deliberately not calling it an "apology." Since you didn't intend to offend in the first place, no apology is necessary.)

I'm not sure the world is any more or less godless than it ever was. At least no more than at any time since the Enlightenment.

But you're right: the wolves are real.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back