Belgium - Roger Vangheluwe, former Bishop calls sex abuse just a "little game"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110424/wl_afp/belgiumreligionchildsex_20110424174259

Belgian Catholic head 'shocked' by ex-bishop's confession
April 24, 2011 Easter Sunday

"The head of the Catholic Church in Belgium, Andre-Joseph Leonard, described as "shocking" Sunday an ex-bishop's televised confession that he had sexually abused two of his nephews. "It is inappropriate and shocking," Leonard told Belgium television RTBF of Roger Vangheluwe's "detached and vacant tone" during the interview, in which he had described "a kind of game" with one of the youngsters.

Leonard said Vangheluwe "should not have spoken".....

more at link

Which is inappropriate and shocking? Sexually abusing a child or talking about it? I'm afraid that Father Leonard appears to forget to put the victim's pain first.

Missizzy, of course he means talking about it. He never cared an ounce about the victims. If it was up to him, everything would be kept silent.
O/T a bit, but when the previous archbishop - Godfried Danneels - was up for retirement it was hoped that another bishop who was more progressive would be chosen. Of course with the present pope that turned out to an idle hope. Léonard is very conservative (amongst other things he still thinks homosexuality is an illness), and he will do his utmost to keep things as they are or to regress them.

One would think that these esteemed men would have advisors, to prevent these types of outrageous statements. I'm just left shaking my head as to how clueless they seem to be. Even if these are the sentiments in his heart, can't he be taught to mention the pain wrought upon children. They can't even pretend that they are concerned!!

Some new information here, the nephew speaks:

http://ncronline.org/news/accountability/belgian-bishop-insists-he-not-pedophile

Belgian bishop insists he is not a pedophile

"....Vangheluwe said, “I knew it wasn’t good. I confessed it several times.”

The Belgian Federal Police in Brussels announced April 18 that they are considering filing new sexual abuse charges against Vangheluwe and his confessor, who has been identified as 90-year-old Fr. Jozef Legast. Police have received complaints that Vangheluwe and Legast sexually abused two boys at a camp for altar boys in the 1960s, one of whom reportedly later committed suicide.

After watching the interview on Flemish television, Vangheluwe’s nephew, speaking through his lawyer, said he was happy the interview was made public so that people could see firsthand what kind of man his uncle is. He went on to stress that he had never been a consensual participant in sexual activity with his uncle and that the uncle’s narration of the molestation details is simply false...."

more at link

That's all I need to hear. Guilty as hell.

At first I thought he confessed to Legast in confession and therefore Legast was in trouble. I may be wrong or the Church has changed, but you could go into confession and say you murdered your own mom yesterday and they're (Priests) not allwoed to dime you out. Maybe it's just that they are not allowed to testify in court?

Never mind it as I now see Legast is also suspect of molesting children.

Can you imagine you confess you rape kids to a man that rapes kids?:banghead::banghead::banghead: My heart breaks for the poor nephew although I admire his bravery. His Uncle sure showed his true colors.

Where's the esteemed Padre at now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back