Benjaman Kyle Statement from Owner of Websleuths.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I understood..

Wesley Cox is the man who had amnesia..he apparently "chose the name James Simmons - James after the bible * Simmons after a store he seen - HOW he ended up with a SS# belonging to James Simmons- I have no clue!
He was then identified, and chose to keep the name James Simmons????

Thanks Zaha. I have not seen that one before.

I found two more links regarding Wesley Barrett Cox.

http://parklibrary.jomc.unc.edu/carolynedds.html

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/040601/sta_040601094.shtml

So is Wesley Barrett Cox, or is it James Simmons, still living in Texas? Or did he disappear again after the news stories revealed his identity?

From what I read about Cox, he was 33 when he first disappeared, and when he was found 16 years later, he had to be 49. So that means he had to be born in 1951.

So if BK is actually Wesley Barrett Cox, then BK was 53 when he was found in Savannah in 2004. So that would make BK 59 years old now.

Are there still people on this forum that believe BK wants Websleuth's help???

I believe that BK knows who he is and wants it to remain that way. I think he is happy as Benjaman Kyle leaving his "other" life behind. His has been on here the last couple days, no response, yet, maybe that is the nurse on here under his name, and he has no clue about what is going on in this site...

It is pure stupidity on my part to be so intrigued with his case, bit I just can NOT help it! I do not want to know who he is, I want to know WHY he did it..

I believe that BK knows who he is and wants it to remain that way. I think he is happy as Benjaman Kyle leaving his "other" life behind. His has been on here the last couple days, no response, yet, maybe that is the nurse on here under his name, and he has no clue about what is going on in this site...

It is pure stupidity on my part to be so intrigued with his case, bit I just can NOT help it! I do not want to know who he is, I want to know WHY he did it..

I think in order to answer that question we would have to have access to medical records (past and current) and because of that, we may never know.

I am of the firm belief that actions speak louder than words. All of his actions, in my opinion, lead me to believe he doesn't want our help.

Quite possibly. On the flip side of the coin, though, it could be downright scary to not know who you are, where you belong....your roots. I think if I was in a position to not know where I came from or who I am, that it might cause me to retreat inside myself more than it would make me want to shout out ....I imagine it could be a very lonely feeling. Especially when there are so many variables that could be involved...

I am intrigued by this case for many reasons.

ETA: Our identity is everything...the very core of our being. If we don't have that very simple thing to build on, what DO we have?

While I wish the best for BK, I am not sure if I felt that he really ever wanted "help" from WS to begin with. The contact seemed too sporadic, IMO, for it to seem like he or his nurse were seeking help. I could be wrong, it's just the impression I got.

The more I read here, the more skeptical I am of the entire story and at the same time I'd like to know who BK really is. It's almost like being between a rock and a hard place, ya know? :banghead:

(JMO)

When I click on this story some dell website comes up.

What is in the story?

A man who disappeared for 16 years and when he was ID'd claimed he had been found beaten and unconscious, suffering from amnesia.

There were a few problems with his story-there was no record of a John Doe being found beaten and unconscious by children, hence there was no police report. The identity the man assumed could be traced back to his "prior" life.

He claims his caretaker gave him the identity.

EERY.

Quite possibly. On the flip side of the coin, though, it could be downright scary to not know who you are, where you belong....your roots. I think if I was in a position to not know where I came from or who I am, that it might cause me to retreat inside myself more than it would make me want to shout out ....I imagine it could be a very lonely feeling. Especially when there are so many variables that could be involved...

I am intrigued by this case for many reasons.

ETA: Our identity is everything...the very core of our being. If we don't have that very simple thing to build on, what DO we have?

I get your point-but he has an identity now. He has been Benjaman Kyle for almost 5 years. He has a family, both immediate and an internet one. People love, care for and are concerned for him. He can petition the court to obtain an SSN.

The flip side of this coin can also be that the life he left behind was one of deprivation.

You know,I think that this what bothered me most. The only vetting of leads, was NB and BK and the team. I am pretty sure I asked this question one time, about who was really doing this and the answer was NB and BK. I guess I thought for a long time that LE had determined he was suffering from Amnesia, and that they, LE, were trying to determine his identity. I don't know, something was just always off. And now, I am left to wonder if Websleuthers found his real identity early on, or even not so early on, and he is the one who said it wasn't him.

I will join the chorus of those who doubted and I know for me, I saw others shot down, so I didn't say anything. I realize we are a victim friendly forum, and for the most part, that is right and I think it works well. But, I do wonder if sometimes that keeps the truth from coming out. I know in the future when I get a strong hinky reading on something, even if I don't bring it up in a thread, I will go to a moderator with my feelings.

I have wondered what the motive and I really didn't realize until this weekend that there was what - a 2 year gap between his being found and the beginning of the search. I do think after all I have read, I think Kentjbkent hit it when he said something about the possibility of a lawsuit.

I do hope we can continue trying to find out who he is. As many have said, there are those wanted that might not have prints or DNA on file.

I don't really understand why a wanted man would take the risk of going on TV and posting his photos on the internet.

Then again, Rodney Alcala was a contestant on Dating Game...

I doubt it... If he's a fraud, he'll stay away if he knows what's good for him.

If he's the real thing, I think he is likely to stay away as well. Some personalities might take the brave route and come here to argue one's own case but it is very difficult for many people to confront and to hold their own among a bunch of people who all think you're done something wrong even if you haven't. A lot of people might want to avoid it because they know they'll just get beaten up again by angry people if they do and wouldn't like it.

And supposing he's not completely healthy, supposing he has really got some sort of brain injury or a psychological trauma that makes him forget his identity and possibly other things too it might have other cognitive or emotional effects as well and those might make him more anxious, more apathetic, more avoidant, less capable of solving problems, less capable of arguing his case calmly and convincingly in writing, less able to handle stress etc... I've worked with many brain injured people whose principal approach to problems is, "If I ignore it maybe it will go away" (quite often it doesn't, it gets worse, but they're somehow incapable of taking constructive action). And one could argue that the whole philosophical meaning of psychogenic amnesia is to avoid confronting the problems and ignore them. Instead of facing whatever it is that is bugging you and deal with it upfront, you just forget it all and hope it will go away. Other brain injured persons I know might be more likely to come here and write incoherent angry rants that wouldn't help anybody here feel more sympathetic towards their plight, and if he's like that and if there are any trustworthy people with him they might advise him not to.

If he's got something to hide it wouldn't do him much good to come here and refuse to answer questions so he won't come until he's got the answers prepared, if at all.

(bold by me) Thank you for posting this. I hope that every member reading here will take away from this experience that EVERY opinion is worth listening to and considering, even if it doesn't fit with what some (or the majority) believe.

Websleuths can still operate as a Victim Friendly site but that doesn't mean discounting very valid points just because those same valid points don't paint the victim in a very favorable light.

I personally can see how some people are questioning and wondering what to believe on this thread if for no other reason than because so many times we were told that LE dropped the ball, didn't follow up, didn't do their job and we were told THAT was fact, take it or leave it. Now the same people are telling us the opposite is fact, take it or leave it. Gets confusing!

One thing is clear, for those who have made up their minds to continue the search to try and unravel the mystery behind BK, there will be no other way than to start at square one and go back through all the possible matches one by one.

BBM. My first bold. Yes, you are somewhat correct with this point, however painting a victim in a not so favorable light should only be done when and where it is relevent to the case. I think our mistake in BK's case was we definately overlooked certain aspects very RELEVENT to the case when it came to being victim friendly. We need to use this case as an example of where that fine line exists. A lesson learned I hope.

As for your second point. 99% of the possible matches which were eliminated were done so with very good reason. The people were definately not BK. Hence looking back over each and every one is not necessary. I think, a better way of phrasing it is for those who wish to continue to seek BK's identity, should Tricia decide to keep that avenue open here at WS, is to consider ALL aspects of who Mr. Kyle might be.. whether it be that he does in fact have amnesia, knows who he is but does not wish to identify himself because of his background... There can be no tunnel vision with the possibilities. No stone left unturned, what ever might come up from the ground kind of thing.......

Well, why shouldn't people be able to sleuth his identity further here on WS if they want to? I can see how some wouldn't want to and they don't have to but IMO it might be worth finding out even if there is some fraud involved. If he's been listed as a missing person, apparently somebody has been looking for him and they might like to have the closure, even if there will be no happy reunion. If he's some sort of fugitive trying to escape his past misdeeds these may be good reasons why he should be found.

Well, why shouldn't people be able to sleuth his identity further here on WS if they want to? I can see how some wouldn't want to and they don't have to but IMO it might be worth finding out even if there is some fraud involved. If he's been listed as a missing person, apparently somebody has been looking for him and they might like to have the closure, even if there will be no happy reunion. If he's some sort of fugitive trying to escape his past misdeeds these may be good reasons why he should be found.

That is for Tricia to decide. I think, and this is just my opinion, is if she decides to leave this avenue open, there won't be any room for arguing over whether he is telling the truth or not. It will simply be discovering his identity even if that means looking for both missing persons as well as people who are wanted, skipped out on child support, abandoned a family or whatever the circumstances may be. I am sure Tricia does not want to make a rash decision and is considering what is best for Websleuths as a whole.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member