Berkeley to Marine Corps: You're Not Welcome

I don't believe anyone needs to be too far either way!!! LOL I'm seriously offended by this story though. I guess we can expect all of these idiots to sign up and defend our great country!

I'm perfectly happy with the town expressing their dislike for the war, but I'm also perfectly happy with the federal government threatening to pull funding. Fair trade in my opinion, and now it's funny to see the town scrambling to reassess their position when money is on the line. :)

Balance is justice.

I'm perfectly happy with the town expressing their dislike for the war, but I'm also perfectly happy with the federal government threatening to pull funding. Fair trade in my opinion, and now it's funny to see the town scrambling to reassess their position when money is on the line. :)

Balance is justice.
I think expressing dislike for the war is a bit different then telling Marine recruiters that they are uninvited unwelcome guest. (IMO of course!):waitasec:

Balance is justice.

No joke!!!! They're definately trying to scramble!!! There are a lot of us against the war, but this doesn't seem like the way to handle it, IMO!!!

I think the problem here is people need to differentiate between their feelings about the war and the military. I am not exactly for the war in Iraq(Afganistan,I completley agree with),but I am pro military.We need a strong military,whether we are at war or not,and if someone wants to serve their country,they deserve to have that option. Don't condemn these fine young men and women because you don't agree with the politicians in power.

Is the mlitary presence in that town a little too intimidating for them or what? I love how people who don't have the guts to sign up and fight to defend the country they so deeply love usually have the biggest mouths of all.. They have no problems using their ''freedom of speech''. I wonder who fights to give them those freedoms? Hmmm..

The Mayor of Columbus denied a full-scale urban warfare exercise because he had no notice of the event and he was concerned about alarming citizens. I know that many high schools in poorer neighborhoods have been coping with military recruiters who have full access to the lunchrooms, etc. The parents wish that additional opportunities, such as business or trades recruiters, would be offered to their kids. Schools which have attempted to limit military recruiters' access have also been threatened with a cutoff of funding. I imagine these issues are not as pronounced in wealthier or private schools.

By law, if the school permits recruiting by companies, corporations or anyone else they also have to allow recruiting by the armed forces. You have a choice as a parent to opt your child out of this. I doubt it's more in the poorer neighborhoods as opposed to anywhere else, you just hear more grumbling. The armed forces takes anyone qualified and does not base entry on wealth or lack of.

I think the problem here is people need to differentiate between their feelings about the war and the military. I am not exactly for the war in Iraq(Afganistan,I completley agree with),but I am pro military.We need a strong military,whether we are at war or not,and if someone wants to serve their country,they deserve to have that option. Don't condemn these fine young men and women because you don't agree with the politicians in power.

The problem is the military is somewhat overextended right now; and fewer women and men are signing up. So they have to recruit pretty HARD.

I know several mothers who are not happy that their sons were heavily recruited at high school and decided to sign up.

Just like any other "recruitment", sometimes the benefits are presented more heavily than the dangers and drawbacks. Few men or women really think the "bad part" will happen to them and they will come severely maimed or dependent on society for the rest of their lives. Living on a set pension, forget about finding someone to marry, or the opportunity to have a family.

I think military recruitment should be with families involved. Why can't the military send out mailers like they used to, and brave young men or women make up their own minds and go to a recruitment office and inquire?

Why are they having to recruit so much now anyway? I think we can all answer that question.

Sounds like the councilman made unfortunate statements - what they seem to be against is the war. Obviously they don't want the recruitment office downtown; why don't they move it to the suburbs or some other location?

Downtown San Francisco does seem to be "out there" as far as the "unusual" groups who march into churches and demonstrating against the gay policy in the military. They seem to have all kinds of groups, but I bet out in the suburbs the recruiters would not find as much resistance.

I am the proud MIL of a Marine. J, is a Gunnery Sergeant at Camp Pendleton, CA. He has served our country for 19 years. His unit was
first to arrive in Desert Storm, he has since served 4 tours in Iraq.
He enlisted in USMC in 1989 and just re-enlisted again. He has a teeshirt that has a poem on it, I don't remember all the lines in it, but this one sentence stands out to me "I MAY NOT ALWAYS AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT."
J & my daughter have been married 14 years and is the father of my
only grandson, who wants to be a Marine just like his father when he grows up. I feel very fortunate to have J as a member of our family.

I am the proud MIL of a Marine. J, is a Gunnery Sergeant at Camp Pendleton, CA. He has served our country for 19 years. His unit was
first to arrive in Desert Storm, he has since served 4 tours in Iraq.
He enlisted in USMC in 1989 and just re-enlisted again. He has a teeshirt that has a poem on it, I don't remember all the lines in it, but this one sentence stands out to me "I MAY NOT ALWAYS AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT."
J & my daughter have been married 14 years and is the father of my
only grandson, who wants to be a Marine just like his father when he grows up. I feel very fortunate to have J as a member of our family.
paddy....What a wonderful example of a great American! Please thank J for protecting our freedom for me !!:blowkiss:

Is the mlitary presence in that town a little too intimidating for them or what? I love how people who don't have the guts to sign up and fight to defend the country they so deeply love usually have the biggest mouths of all.. They have no problems using their ''freedom of speech''. I wonder who fights to give them those freedoms? Hmmm..

Sadie - this isn't directed at you; your post just reminded me to post it.

I feel like the people who are so gung-ho for the war should be willing to sign up and fight themselves. I know a few who like to shout loudly about how justified the war is, but I sure don't see them signing up. They would never risk their health or job security. When my friend was in Iraq fighting, I was terrified every single day. One of our mutual friends started having problems with her blood pressure because she was so stressed about him being there. I can't even imagine what the families feel like. From my perspective, the reasons given to justify the war in Iraq did not equal the potential cost of my friend's life or the lives and health of anyone who has been injured or killed. Nor was it worth the civilian toll. That is what I mean when I say I support the troops but not the war. I love my friend so much that I think he should only risk his life when our country is in danger and Iraq did not fit the bill here. That is my personal opinion and I respect those who differ because this in an immensely personal issue.

paddy....What a wonderful example of a great American! Please thank J for protecting our freedom for me !!:blowkiss:

NOT to mention that Marines are hot!!!! If Berkeley doesn't want them, send 'em all here!!!!!
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

NOT to mention that Marines are hot!!!! If Berkeley doesn't want them, send 'em all here!!!!!

No joke. Two of my cousins were Marines. I always thought they were awesome.

"I MAY NOT ALWAYS AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT."
quote]

A great quote attributed to French Enlightenment satirist Voltaire. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." (Scholars have learned that a female aquaintance of Voltaire's actually coined the phrase.) It is a wonderful sentiment; I am glad that decent people everywhere apply it as a motto.

Since I had to look up the quote to remember who said it, here are a few more Voltaire quotes:

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."

my boyfriend was a marine.

i'm anti-war myself, but NOT anti-military. military men (and women) enlist to help our country and our country's citizens!! this lack of respect towards our troops, who are just trying to give us security and a better life, just ticks me off so much!!

By law, if the school permits recruiting by companies, corporations or anyone else they also have to allow recruiting by the armed forces. You have a choice as a parent to opt your child out of this. I doubt it's more in the poorer neighborhoods as opposed to anywhere else, you just hear more grumbling. The armed forces takes anyone qualified and does not base entry on wealth or lack of.

No Child Left Behind introduced this requirement into law. In many school districts, if a student opts out of giving all of his or her personal information to military recruiters, then they are not entitled to receive any information from colleges, either. If they do share their information, then families are bombarded with adult recruiters calling their teenaged children numerous times a day at their homes. Families want more control over who has access to their kids during the school day. A kid can't opt out of eating lunch.

Wealthier districts may only see an Officer Candidate School recruiter on Career Day, amongst the symphony of Ivy League University and Fortune 500 representatives. I imagine that the promise of paying for college in exchange for an 8-year military contract does not have the same appeal as it might to a kid whose parents can't afford college.

No lie...My ex husband was a Marine (we met when I was in the Navy)....unfortunately his looks weren't even skin deep.....He and his friends were hot though!!

Libs. Can't live with 'em. Can't kill 'em.:bang:

Actually, they can:

Martin Luther King
John Kennedy
Robert F. Kennedy
Harvey Milk
Abraham Lincoln (conservative plot)
Patrice Lamumba, Africa
Meddgar Evers
Binazir Bhutto
John Lennon

:(

Bombing of Fed. Building in Okla. (McVeigh hated the liberal govt. of Clinton)

And Barack Obama, the earliest candidate ever to receive full Secret Service Protection; God help us that he does not get killed

Actually, they can:

Martin Luther King
John Kennedy
Robert F. Kennedy
Harvey Milk
Abraham Lincoln (conservative plot)
Patrice Lamumba, Africa
Meddgar Evers
Binazir Bhutto
John Lennon

:(

Bombing of Fed. Building in Okla. (McVeigh hated the liberal govt. of Clinton)

And Barack Obama, the earliest candidate ever to receive full Secret Service Protection; God help us that he does not get killed

Sad. Very said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back