Beware Conficker worm come April 1

So...I guess if I don't see you guys tomorrow...the worm got me. :( I updated and did everything I think (except I didn't update windows patch as I heard it crashed a few computers already).

Can't these people use their brilliant minds for good instead of evil?!

hmph!!! hope I am still here tomarrow! PC I am, and AVG protected w/o the MS patch (unless automatic update happened w/o me seeing it) I did go into "Tools" (IExp) and disable my smiley add on as I think that may have been where I got last years malware issues from.

Here's to all of us bounding back from carp feeinding bottom dwellers!

CHEERS! See ya on the flipside :)

On the Symantec site, it said one way to know if your computer is infected with this worm is if you are blocked from the major security sites.

As of 1:55 am Central Standard time, I am worm free!! Yay ... :woohoo:

I was able to get into the major security sites and all is well.

I was able to get into this website easily, also.

Laney

So...I guess if I don't see you guys tomorrow...the worm got me. :( I updated and did everything I think (except I didn't update windows patch as I heard it crashed a few computers already).

Can't these people use their brilliant minds for good instead of evil?!

~ bold mine ~

SS, I hope I see you today, then I will know all is well with you and your computer. :blowkiss:

Laney

Hi RiverRat, If it doesn't hit till the 1st what will a scan show tonight?

I am totally perplexed. I tried Dark Knight's link for free protection and it wouldn't work for me. I have a Windows 2000 and it wasn't listed ;{

Dark Knight, Thanks so much for this thread. :blowkiss:

Oh no....hope all is okay this morning! Mine seems to be okay -unless it's doing something I don't know about yet. DK's first post had this: "which should be able to detect all Conficker versions." :waitasec:

My next one will be a Mac! I am sick of replacing pcs.

That's why my husband (who is my personal IT director) made me switch to Mac - my PCs were constantly giving him fits and grey hairs. It was a little hard for me - I have been a PC lover for many many years - but I have adjusted.

When I tried to run the scan it said it encountered a error.

My understanding is if you can't run the scan or access the Windows scan site, it is because you have the worm. The worm is instructed to block fixes, but there are ways around it. I'll see if I can find the link I used.

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx#EQB

How do I remove the Conficker worm?

If your computer is infected with the Conficker worm, you may be unable to download certain security products, such as the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool or accessing certain Web sites, such as Microsoft Update. If you can't access those tools, try using the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner.

Where can I find more technical information about the Conficker worm and how can I stay up to date on the Conficker worm?

•For additional information, see Centralized Information About the Conficker Worm.
•For more technical information about the Conficker worm, see the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Virus Encyclopedia
•Bookmark the Microsoft Malware Protection Center portal and the Microsoft Malware Protection Center blog for updated information.
•For symptoms and detailed information about how to remove the Conficker worm, see Help and Support: Virus alert about the Conficker Worm.
•To continue to get updated information on security, sign up for the Microsoft Security for Home Computer Users newsletter.

For more information, see How to prevent computer worms and How to remove computer worms.

If your computer is infected with the Conficker worm, you may be unable to download certain security products, such as the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool or accessing certain Web sites, such as Microsoft Update. If you can't access those tools, try using the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner.
snipped for length.

So if I can run and access these security products, I'm probably ok?
I have Symantec Security with Norton Anti-virus, etc. and Spybot, plus Windows Defender and updates for all.

Do I need to continue running scans daily?

snipped for length.

So if I can run and access these security products, I'm probably ok?
I have Symantec Security with Norton Anti-virus, etc. and Spybot, plus Windows Defender and updates for all.

Do I need to continue running scans daily?

I would at least run Windows One care today Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner to see if it catches anything. IMO, Norton or any of the bought virus scans are the worst. I currently use AVG free as my main default anti-virus program. It was recommended by a techie with Apple. It will automatically update and scan daily.

I also manually run a couple of other programs once a week or so, because what one doesn't pick up, the others will. Spybot search and destroy and C-cleaner work well for me. This one Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner yesterday caught 352 registry issues.

Make sure when downloading antivirus programs you do so from the official site or cnet.com. Also, make sure you only have one default program and run the others manually.

FYI, I'm not a techie at all. I just have learned from trial and error and through a couple of computer crashes. :)

Good luck to all you Windows users today. Hope your computers stay worm free. I really don't miss dealing with these worms.

I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but can you still get the virus if you log off and just don't use your computer for the day?

I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but can you still get the virus if you log off and just don't use your computer for the day?

Yes. Your PC may have already gotten it, and it is simply scheduled to open/run today.

My theory is not to download anything from sites such as Microsoft or others because they could be the very ones with the worm. LOL OMG! I have been on WS too long and trust no one or nothing.

BOSTON — A malicious software program known as Conficker that many feared would wreak havoc on April 1 is slowly being activated, weeks after being dismissed as a false alarm, security experts said.

Conficker, also known as Downadup or Kido, is quietly turning thousands of personal computers into servers of e-mail spam and installing spyware, they said.

~snip~

The Waledac virus recruits the PCs into a second botnet that has existed for several years and specializes in distributing e-mail spam.

Conficker also carries a third virus that warns users their PCs are infected and offers them a fake anti-virus program, Spyware Protect 2009 for $49.95, according to Russian-based security researcher Kaspersky Lab.

If they buy it, their credit card information is stolen and the virus downloads even more malicious software.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517817,00.html

I have a pretty good spam and junkmail filter, but yesterday I got something like 78 pieces of junkmail within a 4 hour period. It was crazy. I deleted without opening any of them (I never open them) and today things seem to be back to normal.

ETA: Today I've only gotten two pieces of junkmail.

BOSTON — A malicious software program known as Conficker that many feared would wreak havoc on April 1 is slowly being activated, weeks after being dismissed as a false alarm, security experts said.

Conficker, also known as Downadup or Kido, is quietly turning thousands of personal computers into servers of e-mail spam and installing spyware, they said.

~snip~

The Waledac virus recruits the PCs into a second botnet that has existed for several years and specializes in distributing e-mail spam.

Conficker also carries a third virus that warns users their PCs are infected and offers them a fake anti-virus program, Spyware Protect 2009 for $49.95, according to Russian-based security researcher Kaspersky Lab.

If they buy it, their credit card information is stolen and the virus downloads even more malicious software.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517817,00.html

ALL of that has been going on for years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back