Big News!!! Simon names who's 'So Vain'

Whoops. Sure sign it's time for Ducky to head to bed. The mind's starting to go. :blush:

If I went to bed every time my mind gave out I'd sleep 24/7.
biggrin.gif

I think I'm disappointed. I want it to be about Warren Beatty.

Confession:
Warren Beatty was my first real love. Seriously. Even though he was about the same age as my father, I loved Warren, and couldn't wait to grow up so he and I could get married.

It all started with that movie, 'Heaven Can Wait' (1978). He played 'Joe Pendleton' who was "plucked from Earth too soon by an over-zealous angel". I wanted to be Julie Christie. I went to see it in the theater, and was hooked so bad, my older sisters took me to see it over and over and over again.

Soon after, I saw an old re-run of 'Splendor in the Grass' (co-starring Natalie Wood), and that was it- I was a gone-er. Whatever that meant.

Warren (I can call him by his first name, as he was my first love) had a beach house in Malibu, just one town over from where I grew up. Every week-end, we went to the beach, and my friends and I would slowly walk past his house, so he would hopefully look out his window, and fall in love with me. He must have been looking out a window on the other side of the house, because it never happened. Kind-of creepy to think about now... I was a 12 year old stalker.

When I found out that some singer named Carly Simon used to date him, and had written a song about him, it became my favorite song. I hate to admit this, but I was one of those girls that sings in front of the mirror, using a hairbrush as a microphone.

The fantasies I had because of that song... walking onto a yacht with Warren, his hat strategically over one eye, his scarf- it was apricot...

I don't know. I'm just a little disappointed.

I think I'm disappointed. I want it to be about Warren Beatty.

Confession:
Warren Beatty was my first real love. Seriously. Even though he was about the same age as my father, I loved Warren, and couldn't wait to grow up so he and I could get married.

It all started with that movie, 'Heaven Can Wait' (1978). He played 'Joe Pendleton' who was "plucked from Earth too soon by an over-zealous angel". I wanted to be Julie Christie. I went to see it in the theater, and was hooked so bad, my older sisters took me to see it over and over and over again.

Soon after, I saw an old re-run of 'Splendor in the Grass' (co-starring Natalie Wood), and that was it- I was a gone-er. Whatever that meant.

Warren (I can call him by his first name, as he was my first love) had a beach house in Malibu, just one town over from where I grew up. Every week-end, we went to the beach, and my friends and I would slowly walk past his house, so he would hopefully look out his window, and fall in love with me. He must have been looking out a window on the other side of the house, because it never happened. Kind-of creepy to think about now... I was a 12 year old stalker.

When I found out that some singer named Carly Simon used to date him, and had written a song about him, it became my favorite song. I hate to admit this, but I was one of those girls that sings in front of the mirror, using a hairbrush as a microphone.

The fantasies I had because of that song... walking onto a yacht with Warren, his hat strategically over one eye, his scarf- it was apricot...

I don't know. I'm just a little disappointed.

Don't be, smart. I have a feeling the song is really about Warren Beatty, anyway, and if not, keep your fantasy! Warren Beatty and David Geffen may both be vain, but only one of them would have girls dreaming he'd be their partner, and only one could get by with a scarf being ap-ri-cot. And it ain't David Geffen. The backwards thing is "Paul is dead all" over again, not buyin it. Don't think Carly would do it.

Eve

Carly Simon has been giving "teasers" about this song since it first came out. I think she enjoys the attention this song gets,and will contine with these "little hints" forever.It probably was never written for a specific person,just a great song.But since the public just won't let it go...she's having fun with it/us.

Carly Simon has been giving "teasers" about this song since it first came out. I think she enjoys the attention this song gets,and will contine with these "little hints" forever.It probably was never written for a specific person,just a great song.But since the public just won't let it go...she's having fun with it/us.

In fairness to Simon, Vanity Fair seems to care about this. I suspect Simon is asked about it quite a bit.

But I agree with your other point: although the song may have started with a single individual as inspiration, it's a rare creative work that doesn't draw on many influences.

Could the song be about David Bowie?

(I'm just throwing names out there... :crazy:)

Could the song be about David Bowie?

(I'm just throwing names out there... :crazy:)

I started to sing the song and asked my husband "who do you think that song is about?. He replied, "Jim Morrison?":waitasec: I started laughing and he said, "David Bowie?"
I told him at least he didn't reply 'me' (meaning him).

I always thought/heard she wrote it with Mick Jagger in mind.

I prefer it to be left as a mystery in regards to CS's love life, this way all the girls can continue to apply it to their very own VAIN :devil:

The attitude of the song and its production, back in its release day, suggested Jagger to me...keyword: strut!

Now some decades later, revisiting the lyrics, I can see Beatty as a runner-up.

Perhaps after all, it was a composite and in significant part her imagination.

Whatever...the song reached many and it worked!

(I am also one of those who, for the longest time, wanted Carly & JT to re-unite; but I'm glad to know that they are each happy with their choices since.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back