Bosma Murder Trial 03.31.16 - Day 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
If DM and MB applied to build an automotive workspace I would think he would been aware of the township's requirements for any other projects and had a Survey showing what was where on the property ie: well/septic
. http://www.cbc.ca/news/homeowner-charged-35-000-by-archeologists-1.872910

Landowners are supposed to have services cleared before digging. However, there might be some spots that are obviously clear. For instance, people I know own property that drops into a valley. They dirt bike back there so have taken a bobcat just to fill in low areas where water ponds. I doubt there is anything illegal about moving dirt around like that.

Surprising DM is direction? Nah....he's a wanna be superstar attorney himself, don't ya remember? He's goin' solo for the WM trial

No biggie, but just to keep the record straight for down the road, it is the LB trial in which DM will represent himself.

If DM was pulling in a salary of $125k and spending $180k a year on his cars...plus fuel and insurance, living expenses like food and dining (DM's Euro pal said “He didn’t count money or anything, when he was at a restaurant, he was always paying, always organizing things,” http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-was-always-a-little-different-classmate-says), then there were the trips and vacations (SS reports DM paid for everyone in Baja), and the renovations to the many sites where DM was living or intended to live.

We're supposed to believe that DM is the kind of guy who likes to make money, because he intended to start a nickle-and-dime pet cremation business but that never got off the ground. And that's how he made money and was going to fund his lifestyle?

I see a massive outflow of cash and nothing coming in.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 1m1 minute ago
You'd agree it's worth more than $20,000 bucks this stuff? He asks.
Oh yeah, Schlatman says.

Possessions aren't evidence that you have money; money is evidence you have money.

SS seems to agree that DM spent money like it was no problem to him, and that's how he expects someone with money to behave.

Mar 10 2016 3:05 PM
"You're probably saying 'Jesus Christ,' this guy buys the excavator, blows the engine, and then has the money to buy another engine. Good guy to go into business with," Sachak says.

Yeah, I'm just smh. Blows engine, blows money, that's the kind of responsible guy you want as your partner.

Sachak wants us to understand that DM didn't care about money. But we know the MRO situation was cramping his style, and things never got better.

“He advised [me] that the family coffers were running low and that he was very apprehensive to keep pouring money into the facility,”

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/m...-bosma-murder-suspect-started-to-dismantle-it

Just as a comparison- 3 years ago it cost approximately $1,600/month to keep a Piper Arrow (single engine) at the beautiful Jet Port Hangar in Hamilton. IMHO, SS may have been a bit misinformed- 1500 a month would be more believable. I would imagine Citations, Lear Jets and the like would fetch 5K a month. It's more related to the size of the aircraft- how many square feet of hangar space it's taking up. Not sure how much of the hangar was being used for office space. IMO, SS's numbers were a bit off. MOO

I believe it was a tweeting error.

Susan Clairmont : Soon after Millard is arrested May 10, planes finally start coming into Millardair hangar. $1,500 night for plane to stay there for a night.

Wouldn't it have been easier to outfit a truck with a freezer unit and do the collection rounds and then take them back to the cremation unit? There are fellows out here in the countryside who will come by to sell you frozen fish and meats out of the back of their vehicles....and the freezer units work just fine for their purposes. I'm just saying :fence: .

You (DM) may buy them used too (or even steal them perhaps).

Originally Posted by andreww View Post

His expenses were paid right? His salary was presumably paid as well. Sounds like a nice week away from working.
<modsnip> For a guy with basic labourer skills, no education, no money and a language issue, Millard actually set him up quite nicely didn't he?

Some of 'those guys' are invaluable to their employers, even if they might not happen to be 'schooled', have an accent, and usually *those* guys have much more than basic labourer skills. I know some myself who work for successful homebuilders and/or renovating companies. They are skilled in a number of areas, they manage crews of workers, organize and stay on top of outside contracted tradesmen, advise what needs to be ordered, are on top of timelines, permitting, and etc. In return, they get paid quite handsomely, on top of being supplied with a company vehicle that they take home each night, which is fuelled by a company credit card.. all of that on top of the regular benefits of being an 'employee' which include being paid for statutory holidays, getting some weeks of paid vacation time, contributions towards CPP, the ability to collect EI in the event of illness or something, coverage in case of accident and injury on the jobsite (via WSIB).. some are even included on their company's group benefit plans to cover prescriptions, dental, etc.

The ones that I know work d@mned hard, and they are respected and valued. It *sounds* like that was what Mr. V was offering to DM, but DM *seemed* to be taking advantage of a person who perhaps isn't well versed in the employment laws of our land.

I get it, what DM was trying to do.. and perhaps if Mr. V's remuneration was MUCH higher, it could have worked for both parties... if Mr. V knew how, or even wanted to run his own business, or even knew that he WAS running his own business. DM was instead having his cake and eating it too, by paying him joe wages, and expecting him to pay expenses, with none of the standard perks of being a regular employee.

If out of Mr. V's hourly wages, he had to spread that out to compensate for any vacation time, holiday pay, contributions to his CPP, sick pay, and everything else that a regular employee would be entitled to receive on TOP of his wages, he was probably comparatively making closer to minimum wage. It disgusts me, and yet DM's legal counsel is touting him as Mr. Generosity. Then on top, he publicly chastises him for having been 50 years old, and not knowing how much he owed DM. His head must have been SPINNING! Just wow.

And contrary to popular belief, if an employer sends an employee on a trip, of COURSE he's going to pay wages, on TOP of the expenses of the trip, on TOP of accommodations, fuel and food. I don't know anyone who would give up their personal/family life to go on a trip for their employer, for whatever reason, to whichever location, without compensation at least as above. And yet DM seems to be presented as being Mr. What-a-Great-Guy, just for paying the same as any other employer would be paying. SMH

I am very curious as to how DM managed to keep his father's credit card active, considering he was dead. Granted, it was only February 2013, I believe, when Mr. V was given WM's credit card for fuel, when he travelled to New Mexico to pick up the dune buggy for DM. Perhaps the bank was not yet aware that WM had died?

I can understand perhaps forgetting to close your father's credit card account(s), but it almost feels like *fraud* to continue to use them. moo

This thread is now closed. Please continue in the weekend discussion thread here until court is back in session on Monday morning, April 4.

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members