Bottled Tap Water ???!!!

we drink bottled water & i won't drink anything but......i even give it to our cats....pour some tap water in a glass here, & you'll see all kinds of 'things' floating in it....uh uh, bottled water here only....i use the tap water to boil, cook with & of course for the dishwasher, & washing machine, & baths.....i buy the cases of Kroger brand bottle water for $3.99 & it's crystal clear......nothing will change my mind from buying bottled water, lol....

the bottle water i buy 'says' "purified drinking water", which more than likely IS tap water run though some kind of filtration system...works for me:)
I'll drink to that!
I agree close_enough. Same with me, I agree with both your posts. I will buy whatever bottled water is on sale. I even go to the dollar stores for it. :)

Our tap water tastes funny but I do use it to boil water etc. We have an ice maker/with water spout on our fridge and we have an 'inline filter' on it so we usually just refill and refill on hand water bottles from that. You can taste when the filter needs to be changed.

We live in OC, Calif and our water is what they call 'hard.' It leaves scum etc on the faucets.

fran
I have a filter on my faucet, as I have hard water. Bottled water is convenient and don't we always pay for convenience?
I also have a Brita pitcher. Still I buy the bottled water.;)

Message in a Bottle

Americans spent more money last year on bottled water than on ipods or movie tickets: $15 Billion. A journey into the economics--and psychology--of an unlikely business boom. And what it says about our culture of indulgence.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/117/features-message-in-a-bottle.html

Some interesting quotes:

"If you bought and drank a bottle of Evian, you could refill that bottle once a day for 10 years, 5 months, and 21 days with San Francisco tap water before that water would cost $1.35. Put another way, if the water we use at home cost what even cheap bottled water costs, our monthly water bills would run $9,000."

"Water bottles are made of totally recyclable polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic, so we share responsibility for their impact: Our recycling rate for PET is only 23%, which means we pitch into landfills 38 billion water bottles a year--more than $1 billion worth of plastic."

I used to be a bottled water drinker (and always recycled) when on the go with a Brita at home and then learned a lot about the environmental harm all that bottled water causes. I now have a Kleen Kanteen, which is a reusable stainless steel container, that I fill with water whenever I am out and about. Please recycle your water bottles if you choose bottled water!

I am really torqued about this. Our local water has a heavy chlorine smell and taste so I frequently buy those bottled waters. Wonder if anyone will sue them?

There is one town I know about that I wouldn't drink the water. It's about 70 miles west of us: Limon, Co. Their water is so disgusting you can smell it. No one there drinks it. There are a number of natural springs around there. Everyone buys bottled water for their homes in those 5 gallon bottles that fit on dispensers. That I can understand. It's disgusting. I also wonder, with their water, if it is associated with the relatively high number of people with MS that live there. I know of at least 10 people who are friends or related to people I know in this town of 2000 people that have MS or have died from MS. It kind of makes you wonder.

I have my water ready to go for tomorrow. I've been saving all my bottles and filling them, ready for the cooler.

we drink bottled water & i won't drink anything but......i even give it to our cats....pour some tap water in a glass here, & you'll see all kinds of 'things' floating in it....uh uh, bottled water here only....i use the tap water to boil, cook with & of course for the dishwasher, & washing machine, & baths.....i buy the cases of Kroger brand bottle water for $3.99 & it's crystal clear......nothing will change my mind from buying bottled water, lol....

Where I used to live, the tap water was plain nasty. It tasted terrible, in the morning, the smell of chlorine was strong enough to make you gag. When we built our home in the country, the man who dug our well told me they called our water supply the Utica sewer, because it came from the Mohawk river, & we were downriver from Utica, NY. Nice. I bought Poland Spring 2.5 Gallon jugs, 2 or 3 a week.
Now, our water is the best I have ever tasted in my life. I will buy bottled every now & then, but only when my old bottle has disapeared, or fallen apart - I refill them with my own tap water.

HA!! We have a Culligan water filter - reverse osmosis - and I've been telling my husband for years that he's drinking the same thing out of the Dasani bottle as I am out of the tap... He won't drink Dasani again.

We now buy bulk bottled water at Whole Foods - and I just checked - it's spring water.

However, I've also read that reverse osmosis is a process that produces a lot of waste water - so it's not a perfect option either.

I guess the only solution is to marry into BarnGoddess's family!

I have to wonder what people thought they were buying. I've never seen a Dasani or Aquafina bottle labeled as being spring water or any other special water so why would people assume it was something special and now be acting as though they had been lied to? I buy bottled water for one reason only... It's convenient. And I'm grateful that when I find myself thirsty on a hot day that since I don't pack around my own source of hydration 24/7 I can get a bottle of cold water out of a vending machine instead of having to have a soda or a sugar loadd lemonaid. Geez... it's always something and someone's always out to getcha..

I rarely buy bottled water!
I have a artesian well at our cabin so I always fill my gallon jugs up & have cold water all the time.

Will never buy Dasani bottled water again & sent it out to everyone I know.

i guess I always thought bottled water came out of a tap. I just assumed it was purified or filtered before it was bottled. This doesn't seem like news to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back