Boy dies from swallowing pool water

They were talking about this on the news this morning. I had never heard of it either. Good to learn about it though. Scary.

I actually learned of this about 15 years ago. My DH was surfing in 15-18' waves when his leash broke while under a wave...being thrashed in the surf and quite disoriented, he grabbed for his leash to figure where his board was...or basically...which was was up. He was under water for at least 1 1/2 minutes and was only resued as he managed to get his hand above water so the lifeguards could see where he was. He was treated on the beach and transported to the hospital for overnight observation. I was told by the attending physicians that they closely monitor for secondary drowings which are extremely prevalent in salt and chlorine water. I've shared this story with many who have never heard of such a thing. Please spread the word...you never know whose life may be saved!

kayceebee, I'm so glad your dh is alive to tell the story!

This is so interesting to me. Thanks for all the helpful links, everyone. :blowkiss:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/24982210/

Here's a good article that includes warning signs to look out for. This troubles me, I always think when the kids are home from the pool we are free and clear! Another thing for me to parannoy about!

Welcome and thanks for this excellent link. I come from a family of big swimmers and have heard of this phenomenon before, but I couldn't tell your exactly what to look for. This was an excellent article.

My prayers to this boy's family.

Thanks for the welcomes! I've been reading for quite a while and just started posting. I really enjoy the conversation here. Although if I see another post about a murdered child, I may have to take a break!

Thanks for the welcomes! I've been reading for quite a while and just started posting. I really enjoy the conversation here. Although if I see another post about a murdered child, I may have to take a break!

I think that describes all of us here!

Pace yourself with the sadness. There are plenty of places here to escape some of that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back