Brad Cooper: Appeal info

Status
Not open for further replies.
PART 5

HK: Now there was a...in addition to the Master File Table you were provided by the FBI, did they also include their own Vista "fresh install" test in there?
GM: yes

HK: If we can move on to that (new slide) with respect to valid vs invalid standard information entry modified timestamps, there has been testimony...the FBI said "well its the same as what it was on the IBM" Is that what you found?
GM: No. There was a higher percentage on the IBM laptop.

HK: and on the FBI's version of the Vista install do you recall how many files total there actually were?
GM: I can't recall right offhand, I apologize.

Attachments

• vista-fresh-install.jpg
    vista-fresh-install.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 14
  • cursor_file.jpg
    cursor_file.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 43
PART 6

HK: That's okay...with respect to the time of the google map search, did you take the time to evaluate the cursor files?
GM: I did.

HK: And in evaluating the cursor files did you note the times at which the cursor files were created, accessed, modified for each one of those files?
GM: Yes. Everything was the same.

HK: Now, can you explain how it is the cursor file really works? and what you would expect to see with those times?
GM: Typically when you run the cursor, and even if you are going to different levels, it will register in the computer. It will register, showing that you are going to another level, and another level, and another level...or if you're moving the file around everything gets registered. So when you're clicking down it becomes what's a closed hand, when you're scrolling you still have an open hand. Now in the files here for instance, registered as a bitmap and that's again not uncommon, because it does happen, typically a cursor file is a dot cur.

HK: If you were to take a pointer, take that open hand or closed hand and actually use it on the map to move from one place to another, would you ever expect to see the same time listed for for the last time it was accessed and the time it was created?
GM: when you first create that file, like as you see up there that's the file that's been created and hasn't gone back to. If you change that file it will show a change on that file. I didn't see any changes. Everything was exactly the same. If I'm moving to the next level, if I want to zoom in, and I'm using the cursor, it should show another timestamp showing another creation date, but everything was the same on all the cursors. It didn't make much sense to me.

HK: when trying to corroborate what happens over the internet, what someone's doing on the internet, is there a value in looking towards cookies?
GM: Absolutely.

HK: can you explain what that is and why that is?
GM: cookies are like a tracking device. Anytime you're on the internet, a cookie will attach to your browser. That's how - we love that as a forensic examiner because we can go in and see where you've been. If there's no cookies, I can't technically see what time you were there...I may find a trace that you have been to a website, but if there's no cookies, I can't validate that. But the cookie is extremely important.

HK: Was there any cookie present at all that corresponded to the search on July 11th in Google maps?
GM: I did not see that

HK: Did you see a deleted version of a cookie from-
GM: I did. Here's - as I recall there was also a deleted watermark stamp on a google search, google map.

HK: And what do deleted watermark stamps mean?
GM: Okay, that told me that - in fact I think it even had a deleted invalid timestamp associated with it I believe - that means that file isn't a good file. Based on other cases I did with timestamps and watermarks which are proprietary information like Google's information is proprietary - we see an altered watermark that means that file has been tampered with.

HK: inside the cookie itself, what kind of information is contained inthere?
GM: Where the person has been, metadata, there's metadata in there.

HK: And there's no real way to forge a cookie, to put it on someone's computer is there?
GM: I could drop a cookie on someone's computer if I wanted to using the right forensics or quote unquote hacker tool.

HK: But if somebody were to subpeona the records from Google to ask who did this search and when was it done, would the information they got back trace to the person's machine you put in on? or would it trace back to you?
GM: It would give you the information on that cookie for that user.

HK: and when you say for that user, are you saying the person-
GM: the browser that's identifiable with that laptop

HK: The person who actually did the search, not the person who's machine it gets put on?
GM: Absolutely, yes from the someone who did the search.

HK: of the deleted cookies that you found, there were none from July 11th is that correct?
GM: correct, which again led to suspicion.

HK: In your experience, does law enforcement rely upon cookies to seek out more information from internet providers?
GM: Yes, they - what happens is that, because we write search warrents for law enforcement, and we put everything and anything that's applicable to that user account, we want all the information, and we try not to leave anything out. You want to get the Google cookie because that gives us browser information, so everythings there. I did look and I didn't see anything by law enforcement that was written in the search warrant, there was no mention of "cookie". It is my experience that Google will only give you what you ask for amd that's it...same thing with Yahoo and some of the other providers.

HK: did you look at the single sheet of data from the FBI's test search where they attempted to replicate the Google maps search?
GM: yes.

HK: And in their test search, did they actually show a cookie had been downloaded onto their system?
GM: It was an...I can't recall I might be getting confused there was a bitmap, do you have a - do you mind if I refer to my notes?

HK: go right ahead although I should be able to-
GM: do you have it on the-
HK: yeah (new slide)

Attachments

• fbilist.jpg
    fbilist.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 68
PART 7

HK: now the second line down from the bottom?
HK: Is that essentially what we're talking about when we're talking about cookies?
GM: yes, I did review one of the reports with the net analysis utilized you can bring up the cookies.

HK: and several lines above that is there a cursor file?

HK: and what's the extension that exists for that particular cursor file?
GM: dot cur

HK: did you read the report on tampering, or the rebuttal report on tampering that was initially anonymous, that was written by officer Chappell?
GM: I did but I can't recall everything on it

HK: do you recall whther or not he had said he ever found a cookie on the system?
GM: I believe he did say there was a cookie, but I think I heard he said it was redacted(?) I haven't seen any evidence of a cookie, nothing has been shown to me - let's put it that way.

HK: were there other issues that you found with the IBM thinkpad that concerned you in terms of how it had been handled by law enforcement subsequent to collection?
GM: yes, first of all again - the computer was left on, which again is not typical forensic protocol. The RAM should have been extracted using a forensic tool, and the computer should have been powered down. Its my understanding it was left on for 27 hours in which I can see evidence of files being changed, deleted - deleted was very surprising to see that files were deleted on there, don't understand why the files would be deleted when there should have been no access to that computer. I did find evidence of malware, and as I stated in my report those malware are command and control and though they are low threat, they still have the potential of having backdoors.

HK: and when you say backdoor, what are you referring to?
GM: WHat happens is that when a hacker hacks in and puts a trojan on a computer, they leave an opening. its kind of like leaving the backdoor open on your house, or making a duplicate key, so you could have your door locked, but they can still have access through that backdoor - or front door is locked, but backdoor is open...they leave an opening, a crack.

HK: And are you aware of how the computer was stored at the cary police department after it was collected?
GM: I know part of it, thepart that I understand is that the computer was locked in a room. I do not know if there was security all I know is that 3 officers had keys, and it was left on a desk.

HK: was that room an evidence room?
GM: to my knowledge it wasn't..which again I was very surprised.

HK: Having looked through the data on the machine, do you have an opinion satisfactory to yourself as a computer forensics expert as to whether or not that machine was tampered with?
GM: It is my opinion that with all the suspicious activity I found on it, the files that were altered, that there's definite spoilation on that computer - which would lead me to believe it was tampered with. I can't tell you who exactly did it, but I can tell you its been tampered.

HK: And when you say you can't really tell who did it is that because of the wireless network?
GM: well you can see that - true, I don't know who's on the other end...I know for a fact the CIsco net was on - the VPN, so the computer was being accessed by the VPN tunnel; the program that was there.

HK: And once in this condition, is there any way to verify that the data is accurate - or remove this taint?
GM: I've worked all sorts of cases, I do a lot of work with law enforcement and government agencies besides corporations and one of the first things I do is ask "who touched it?" who touched the computer, I need to know because I'm going to see that there was access, and I see those things, and I tell them: you need to document everything you do. Because you can look in the registry and you can find that things have been altered, because its going to show up in the registry as well. Whether somebody used a USB device or not, or whther someone didn't use a write-protect - files were altered. I get those cases, and more often than not. I'm sorry I lost my train of thought - I apologize.

HK: that's okay, are you familiar with the title "Network Security Expert"? are you familiar with people who perform that function?
GM: Yes.

HK: And is a Network Security Expert capable of - well...are they capable of extracting information from workstations in an effective and competant manner?
GM: Yes, that's part of their job. I've got colleagues in the industry and I deal with these corporate folks.

HK: And, are they capable of evaluating Master File Tables?

HK: Are they capable of evaluating login trees?
GM: Yes, they have to. When there's an intrusion on the network, or if somebody came in through the network, and it affects other computers on the sys- on the network, they have to look at those logs. A lot of times we're relying on those IT security folks or network Administrators because they know their system better than we do and...we rely on them, we get called in we're looking at those logs, we have them preserve those logs. Any data that's accessible whether its event logs on the computer, whether its on the router, whther its on the network server, we need those...so we can evaluate them and analyze them.

HK: Having reviewed Mr. Ward's report, do you agree with the conclusions that he drew?
GM: Mr. Ward is a - I know he was deemed as an expert in network IT security, that's all he's done, I mean that's his job. I'm not a network IT security person. That is not who I am, I am a digital forensic examiner. I examine data that is given to me from those folks. So, I would conclude what he had said, as far as I looked over his data, and I believe it to be true.

HK: A better way to put it - excluding those things in Mr. Ward's report that he understands as a Network Security Expert...excluding the things that are just network security related-
GM: strictly, I know he's not a computer forensics examiner
HK: those things he opined upon that do fall within your expertise, do you believe he was competent to form those opinions?
GM: Yes, on the network stuff - yes.

HK: And do you believe his conclusions on those things were accurate?
GM: I believe so.

HK: Is it required to be certified in EnCase or FTK to actually competently use those tools?
GM: Not necessarily, I've been using EnCase since I started in FTK I go for training every year. I've even signed up for the exams, I haven't actually had time to sit down and take the exams . Just with the caseloads I haven't had time to go and get those certifications. Its half dozen of one and one half dozen the other.

HK: That's all I have, thank you.

----------------------END OF DIRECT--------------------------------------

Thank you for your hard work.

IMHO, I don't see anything appealable there.

We'll see.

fran

Wow, jbr, you spent a lot of time on that. You may have a future in court reporting!

The issue, as I see it, is not the content of what G.M. spoke about, but the disqualification of J.W. as a forensic expert. JW himself posted on this board that he agreed with the judge's decision to not classify him as an expert. Further, he said he told the defense that from the beginning. This does not bode well for the defense.

Instead of finding a qualified and recognized forensic expert in plenty of time for trial (and it sounds like there were some months to do this), the defense put JW on the stand anyway, and tried to get him qualified by the judge as an expert (forensic/network, the whole shebang). The defense lost that gamble, and it was their gamble. You can't blame the judge for a ruling that even JW himself agrees with!

So now the defense rushes out to find another expert at the last minute, yelling how unfair this all is, when it was they who knew ahead of time that this very thing could occur. They march into court with their new expert and try to get the judge to accept this new expert witness.

< buzzer >

The only way to accept this guy is to stop the trial for a long enough period of time so the state has enough time to prepare. But there's a jury waiting, you can't just stop the trial, there are rules to how this all proceeds. This witness cannot testify. Seems unfair, yes. But is it legally wrong?

That's the real question. Not the MFT, not the .cur versus .bmp, not the files on the computer. No, at the appellate level it's did the judge make a proper legal ruling to exclude this new witness?

I believe the appellate judges will find the judge's ruling to be valid.

PART 8

(begin cross)

BZ: I just have a couple of questions for you this won't take long, in formulating your - your opinion is this computer was tampered with? is that correct?
GM: Yes, there was spoilation.

BZ: Spoilation...so is there a difference between tampered with and spoilation?
GM: Anytime I deem a computer's been touched - tactically its the same thing.

BZ: So if there's...there's a computer and its not received properly or not acquired properly - like if you don't do the thing to take the RAM out and...and then you go back and look at it and there's evidence that seems suspicious to you is that spoilation? is that a fair way to characterize it?
GM: No, I understand what you're trying to say...if the RAM - and there are times when you can't get the RAM, and you do the best that you can, you lose that live volatile data - you document it. If, once its in our custody, if anything has happened to that computer, whether the drive crashed, whether its the write-block is off and now we have file changes - I have to document that.

BZ: I think you moved away from the microphone a bit (GM adjusts position)...with a spoilation or tampering, that conclusion, what did you rely on - I think you said the fact that it was left on factored in there?
GM: Yes, I looked at the FBI report, I kind of looked at what's..I mean I work with the FBI, they do a phenomenal job, and I relied on their report, and then looked at how many files were altered...how many files were deleted. When I looked at the computer and did the imaging and so on - I could see that after the time it was in custody things were changed. That's an issue when you're doing forensics. Was it notated? I haven't seen any documentation - to me that's spoilation, and its a problem-

BZ: And then, so you have that evidence...what else helps you form that conclusion? I guess-
GM: Protocol, if theres no protocol in place - there should be policies and guidelines on how you do a forensic examination. There's standards out there - there's NEST, there's USDoJ...there's all the different associations out there that have standards: ethics, integrity, making sure at any given time that you're documenting everything you do - there's forms (looks over at defense) I don't know if you have any of those forms with you? if you - I brought a couple

BZ: Okay, okay...so to form this conclusion you looked at the altered and deleted stuff, the fact that you haven't seen any protocols...what else leads you to that conclusion? I just wanna - I just
GM: okay, I can run you through. What happens is that - let's say I'm going onsite to grab, let's say in this instance I'm working with Law Enforcement, one of the first things I'm going to do is take digital photographs of the scene-

BZ: And I don't need a list of protocols and how you think are appropriately done
GM: okay based on what I saw-
BZ: Yah what did you see?
GM: and based on what I heard, and what I saw: the files were altered. There was access to that computer after it was suppossedly - should have been, shut down...that didn't happen.

BZ: okay
GM: That was the biggest reason that I saw why files were altered. When we have metadata that's altered after the fact that's spoilation, and it can be considered tampering.

BZ: So is the altered data plus the lack of protocol and some of these facts that you heard around the case that equals tampering? or spoilation?
GM: spoilation-
BZ: spoilation is the word you want to use-
BZ: correct?
GM: (nods affirmative)

BZ: And when did you first get involved in this case?
GM: Thursday. I believe it was Thursday.
BZ: Welcome (laughing)
GM: pardon?
BZ: welcome
GM: Yah well I was sitting on the sidelines and every once in a while kind of looking at it, when I heard Jay testify and I was - you know, anyways - when I saw the data wasn't being done right and things weren't being handled right, as a forensic examiner...and I teach both law enforcement and non-law enforcement on following protocol - it bothered me.
GM: and I felt like I needed to get involved.

BZ: And um, Thursday - or whenever you got involved in this case, what ... did you look at an image copy of the defendent's hard drive from that laptop?
GM: not on Thursday

BZ: have you ever?
GM: I did.

BZ: okay and when did you do that?
GM: first time was Saturday. I had received a copy from the defense and more recently got a copy that was actually from the FBI through another forensic examiner.

BZ: I'm sorry...explain that?
GM: I received one copy from defense, I believe late Friday night
BZ: uh huh...
GM: kind of did a little bit of a preview, but then one...think it was Tuesday, I went to another forensic examiner who was holding all the data from the FBI.
BZ: and who is that?
GM: RMA
BZ: sorry, R M A?
GM: RMA, yes - its the name of the company

BZ: and who is the examiner there that was-
GM: Rusty Gilmore

BZ: And um, did you ever have occasion - what did you look at to determine spoilation in the files and that sort of stuff, what...
GM: I looked at last-accessed
BZ: okay and
GM: and the dates
BZ: okay but more generally at that image hard drive
GM: yes, I did

BZ: did you ever look at any routers?
GM: I don't have access to any routers

BZ: did you ever look at any router logs?
GM: in the past? yes
BZ: for this case - sorry about
GM: oh - yes, briefly
BZ: you looked at router logs from this case?
GM: yes, briefly, recently
BZ: okay, and when did that happen?
GM: I believe...late Tuesday night? I believe it was Tuesday...there was a lot of data there.

BZ: and nothing about that helped you form your conclusion of spoilation or tampering correct?
GM: I didn't have time to analyze that - I have other cases going on at the same time.

BZ: so your conclusion about tampering or spoilation is independent of those because you didn't have time to-
GM: correct, its all based on that Thinkpad and what I've seen.

BZ: And that defendent's exhibit 80...your honor could I approach?
JG: you may
BZ: (approaches witness and hands document) did you ever look at this?
GM: I believe no (reading)...no I looked at something different
BZ: and do you have some notes up there? I -
GM: (hands his report to BZ) oh, here

BZ: And going to your report, your report's-
GM: Its not even all there I believe
BZ: okay, the part of the report you wrote is 3 pages? is that correct?
GM: No there's a total of maybe 16 pages or more...I can't remember, I had 48 hours to write this report, and ah...it was intense.
BZ: (with defense report open) so you're saying that this doesn't include your entire report.
GM: This right here (indicates what BZ is holding open) I don't think its an exact copy its just bits an pieces - I grabbed it off my desk...the reports actually 33 pages, but I just grabbed this one, may not be an exact copy - sure looks to be, it is.
BZ: okay the first 3 pages are something you wrote
GM: yes,
BZ: the next pages are Jay Ward's report and you put things in the margins?
GM: yeah
BZ: and that comprises everything that you've done in this case?
GM: no, I'm still working on the hard drive, reviewing it.

BZ: okay, with those items written in the margin did you write all of those? or did Mr. Kurtz write some of those?
GM: which? the boxes? myself
BZ: the boxes are all yours?
GM: that's my - that's all mine

BZ: and when you first received these hard drives, what were you told?
GM: That I need to pay particular attention to the IBM thinkpad, and they gave me the times to look at, dates, kind of an overview of the case...there was just a LOT of data. In the amount of time I had originally when I wrote this, I had very limited because they needed to get a report to you.

BZ: Yes sir, and when you looked at that image copy of the hard drive - that Saturday I guess which was 5 days ago, did you um - in terms of dates and times what dates and times were you told to look at?
GM: The um I believe the - July 11th-
BZ: okay, okay and were you told something like "we see some evidence of tampering can you confirm or deny that?"
GM: yes, I believe so
GM: they wanted me to give my opinion on what I saw.
BZ and you were pointed to the specific times?
GM: pardon?
BZ: I mean you were pointed to the specific times they didn't
GM: yes I was pointed to the specific time, I need to know the parameters of my searches - what am I looking at,
BZ: sure because you're not going to look at
GM: I'm not going to look at-
BZ: like stuff from 2007-
GM: April I mean...
GM: there's data on there from long ago

BZ: you talked a little bit about malware, um that doesn't appear anywhere in your report does it?
GM: I think I mentioned, um , where ... (skimming through report) I did mention a finding ... 3 files - actually there were 4 files. On a forensic workstation we have symantic one point and I have a business license for those and so many licenses, and we have them at our workstations because, in the past you know, it seems like a good majority of hard drives we get on cases have malware. They're infected with viruses and so on. So we have that on there so we can detect it and document it, and in this case there was actually 4 that popped up.

BZ: okay, and do you recall what those were?
GM: the one was...let me see (reading) I apologize - beagle? I think a beagle dot 32, which is a trojan - there is an email trojan on there as well, I'd have to look at the ah - let me see here if I can find it...I think when I wrote that (to defense) when did I send that in there? I apologize - I put that in one of my reports...(flipping pages) don't see it in this report...I told the defense-
BZ: okay, are there any other documents that you've made in this case?
GM: I've made an EnCase eo1 file image, and indexed the hard drive and FTK. And I can tell you actually what versions I used.
BZ: okay, I guess have you made other reports I mean
GM: not yet, I'm documenting what I'm doing.
BZ: okay, but you haven't completed it yet
GM: No, I haven't, there's just so much data to go through and I like to make sure I'm researching everything I'm doing - so this way I can testify to the truthfullness of what I'm finding.

BZ: and um, I think you said "we" a couple times...
GM: its a habit, because I'm a company - I apologize to that, I know I put that in my notes, and its just a habit...
BZ: it wasn't - was somebody else helping you with the analysis?
GM: no, nobody else was helping me on the analysis just myself - believe me...
BZ: you mentioned Rusty Gilmore earlier, was he doing anything for your-
GM: not for me, I don't know what he did exactly previous to me

GM: I've been pretty much consumed by this case...
(long pause)
BZ: I apologize...Mr. Masucci, and just to be clear, on the - you haven't had a chance to go through those routers correct?
GM: I don't have any actual routers- I wish I did.
GM: and that was one of my other questions..I don;t have...I would love to see the router logs because the only logs I am seeing are the event logs that are from the IBM Thinkpad, I can't validate or verify anything if I don't have those logs. That event log can say anything it wants, but if I can't validate it against a router - I'm not doing my job.

BZ: well, then, so you've had a chance to look at those event logs.
GM: just briefly...
BZ: just briefly?
GM: I mean theres a lot of data there to sift through, it would take me at least a week to do that and corelate that to see if I can find any corelation.

BZ: but you have the, I guess my question is with those logs they're all contained on that image hard drive correct?
GM: they should be on there, um - they pulled them out, I haven't looked at those I've got-

HK: Objection your honor - I'd just like some clarification here since Mr. Masucci doesn't even know about the newest provided logs that I -
BZ: I didn't object during his voir dire
HK: I'm saying there's a disk we just got that Mr. Masucci doesn't even know about yet, that contains event logs

BZ: (to GM) regardless of whether there's any disk floating out there, event logs exist on these image hard drives, correct?
GM: I haven't looked for them yet, potentially yes
BZ: but, I mean...
GM: potentially, yes - I mean they could be gone
GM: I actually have to see and validate that

BZ: And this is all part of an investigation you're doing that started last Thursday correct?
GM: I hate the term investigation because the ah, certain department of justice and the state doesn't like us to term it as an investigation unless you're a private investigator.
GM: so its part of the "forensic exam". Depending on what is the perimeters of the search, what I'm asked to do - that's what I'll do. I will not go outside the perimeters of the search unless I'm told to.

BZ: And you said "what they provided" right before Mr. Kurtz objected who is "they" that your referr-
GM: the defense.
BZ: do you know where "they" got those logs from?
GM: I believe the FBI? I can't recall exactly.
GM: actually the prosecution - it would be you I believe?
BZ: okay - thank you sir I don't have anything else.

-----------------------------------------------------END CROSS-----------------------------------------------------

PART 9

HK: excuse me, one more clarification, Mr. Masucci you mention router logs at one point, and you mention it a second time and to be clear: you've not looked at any router logs in this case
GM: correct, there were event logs off of the IBM Thinkpad - that's all I've seen
HK: okay...
GM: and barely...
HK: Thank you.

JG: anything else from the State?

BZ: can I have one moment?....no your honor, thank you.

(witness excused)

JG: any other matters that we need to resolve outside the presence of the jury?
HK: your honor at this time I would move the court to reconsider Mr. Masucci as an expert witness in our case in chief, um at this point I think its clear that the State is going to be introducing additional technical information. I believe Mr. Masucci was candid, he was quite direct responding to any concerns or questions, I think that the data set that he has operated from is one that essentially originates with the FBI, and as such is inherently reliable for these purposes - the FBI has provided - and it clearly cuts to the heart of this particular case in that the inculpatory material that exists, exists exclusively in digital form. If there is - I am aware of other case law, and I think Mr. Zellinger cited some, where the defense had clearly, intentionally: withheld expert information, kept experts off their witness list, not turned over reports, and under those circumstances - the court sanctioned the defense, and kept the expert from testifying. And in that situation it was certainly upheld and it was noted that given the extent of the defense's complicity - to the deception in such a a dramatic, drastic sanction was really appropriate. In this case...we're in our ninth week, we have done everything within our power to provide the information that we've received, as soon as we have received it. We've done - frankly the only reason we were able to get Mr. Masucci is that he immediately contacted us and said this is ah - this is a case that deals with digital forensics, and its going to set important precedent...I don't want to see it happen without an even playing field. And judge, I'm asking the court to please reconsider its ruling on this particular matter. I think that without the ability to effectively address digital forensics evidence that has been presented against Mr. Cooper, that he is unable to present an effective defense.

JG (to BZ) you wanna be heard?
BZ: I do your honor, we're in the same position except today you heard that Mr. Masucci hasn't even finished his, not an investigation - his research into this case. the State again is prejudiced and additionally I'm not in a position where I can offer...there's a time when I might have been, where I could have offered - I could have intelligently cross examined him, but at this point I have a 3 page report - and I can't cross examine him on his report because he's not even done with it yet. So there's definitely prejudice that has befallen the State. Additionally your honor the only other thing I'd point out in relitigating this issue again is that the defendent's witness list contains Mr. Gilmore's name and also contains Jim Yule's name who I believe is some sort of computer science professor at NC State: I don't know why those folks aren't being called, but the fact still remains that its inherent upon the defense to give us notice of these experts so that - and the State, for both parties - to give notice of expert before they are called so that they have an idea of who the person is, so they have their resumes so that where they - the, the ability of them to testify to their expertise, and something meaningful so that we know what they're going to testify to - and we don't have that from Mr. Masucci in this instance and uh, to go back on the court's ruling previously would prejudice the State further because we no longer have the ability to cross examine Mr. Masucci based on the report that we haven't even received. The only other thing I point out is, um - well I'll just leave it at that - I think its clear its a huge prejudice that's befallen the State at this point, and without having notice which is required by these general statutes and the rules of evidence, we are prejudiced, and because the defendent failed to do that we're the one that gets the prejudice. Based on that Mr. Masucci should not be able to testify.

HK: I would just like to add judge that the State has recently received information that they intend to introduce in their rebuttal case. It is information where we don't have a formal report yet...we're just getting dribs and drabs in as they get it, but truly just getting it in in little pieces where we'll have the exact type of prejudice that Mr. Zellinger is worried about with Mr. Masucci. And so, I think that we're on a much more level footing in this argument in that we're all going to have to adapt to new information quickly and probably we're all not going to be as artful with it as we like. But the bottom line is this investigation has been underway for over the last 2.5 years, and they are still getting information - that is not their fault...but its something we are going to have to deal with. I dontt think that prejudice that will befall us is any worse than whatever prejudice might befall them essentially having to deal with the same report they've had for some time.

BZ: the only thing I'd say your honor is that Mr. kurtz is asking you to speculate on what the State is going to do, and what the defendent has received is discovery from the State as we recieve it pursuant to the requirements of 15A905 and the open file discovery rules. those are totally different situations and if we get to that point we can cross that bridge but just because I've provided discovery to the defendent on things that I've received I don't think puts us in any different situation from where we were before Mr. Masucci.

HK: We actually did get notice from the State they intended to introduce a new witness - Chris Frye as an expert witness-
JG: He's already on the witness list

BZ: he testified and they already had his resume, they had his resume before the trial started...additionally I'm not sure he needs to testify as an expert witness, but if I'm going to be punished for going out of my way to put myself in my best position weeks later...then this is completely different issue, but its Chris Frye, Paul Girault might be testifying as well who is an expert wotness, who testified as an expert witness, and Greg Maclucci um, is another person involved in this email string because I've already - all these folks have testified and their information is out there already. Its a completely different situation, I mean the defendent doesn't - this research and investigation started last Thursday and its not even done yet, so to allow him to - it just seems like there's incomplete data at this point. And that...I don't mean to belabor the point but - he's not even done yet.

HK: and neither is Cisco, with what they're doing and neither is their oranthologist that we got notice of just recently so there are new experts "flying around" so to speak.

JG: but until they get ready to land, its really not an issue for me to deal with. So your objections I think are a bit premature...because at this stage of the dance, they may not even offer rebuttal evidence. They may, um, be telling you that to see what's gonna happen.

HK: judge I wasn't saying "objection", I didn't object to what they were saying - I'm simply saying-

JG: I know but, what I'm saying is that, um ... we may not even GET to rebuttal evidence. I mean so - to project what they're gonna admit through whatever witness or whatnot I think is a bit dangerous and I have to look at each individual witness at each stage independent and apply the law. At this point at my discretion the motion to renew the motion to allow the testimony of Mr. Masachi is denied...just for thr record I'm going to indicate that um...(reading) the failure to comply with 15A905 and the defense has not established a good faith basis upon which, or showing that the witness should be called...and also under rule 403 as I stated the other day. these are all - I'm sure, fish that we're gonna have to fry at a later stage - if we get to that point. But...you know, I don't even know if there's been evidence admitted um, that can be rebutted so that's an argument you may need to make as to any rebuttal witness. So that's I mean, I mean for me to project out whther I'm going to let anybody testify in rebuttal testimony at this point, I think its a bit premature. So at any rate, let's take it at the stage we are now from that.

HK: understood you honor I would like to offer Mr. Ward's report as defendent's exhibit 84 for appellate purposes - I realized I had not put that in the record yet.

JG: alright, ahh

---------------------------END COURT SESSION------------------------------------

Attachments

• masucci.jpg
    masucci.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 7
  • judge.jpg
    judge.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 8
Thank you for your hard work.

IMHO, I don't see anything appealable there.

We'll see.

fran

Thanks, I think its helpful to everyone with interest in the case regardless of where you stand.

As for the appeal angle for this proffer, IMO we'll have to wait for a few things to happen - mainly Kurtz's characterization of the value to bear out the way it is expected to by many.

I had not posted the entire session at the time of your reply, its up now including the motion at the end.

note: some interesting chat about Frye, and perhaps some insight into why he was not called at the end? remember - JG allowed him...which could play into the appeal as well.

Wow, jbr, you spent a lot of time on that. You may have a future in court reporting!

No, at the appellate level it's did the judge make a proper legal ruling to exclude this new witness?

LOL, no thanks I couldn't wear that mask.

IMO, what the Appellate court will have to decide re: the testimony itself (ultimately) in this case is the weight of exculpatory value (for the defense) & judge discretion. Yes, he cited to support his ruling but that may or may not be enough.

There are other issues intertwined with this episode as well which may also make their way into an appeal.

I've written/typed too much to get into it now though ;)

The issue, as I see it, is not the content of what G.M. spoke about, but the disqualification of J.W. as a forensic expert. JW himself posted on this board that he agreed with the judge's decision to not classify him as an expert. Further, he said he told the defense that from the beginning. This does not bode well for the defense.

Instead of finding a qualified and recognized forensic expert in plenty of time for trial (and it sounds like there were some months to do this), the defense put JW on the stand anyway, and tried to get him qualified by the judge as an expert (forensic/network, the whole shebang). The defense lost that gamble, and it was their gamble. You can't blame the judge for a ruling that even JW himself agrees with!

So now the defense rushes out to find another expert at the last minute, yelling how unfair this all is, when it was they who knew ahead of time that this very thing could occur. They march into court with their new expert and try to get the judge to accept this new expert witness.

< buzzer >

The only way to accept this guy is to stop the trial for a long enough period of time so the state has enough time to prepare. But there's a jury waiting, you can't just stop the trial, there are rules to how this all proceeds. This witness cannot testify. Seems unfair, yes. But is it legally wrong?

That's the real question. Not the MFT, not the .cur versus .bmp, not the files on the computer. No, at the appellate level it's did the judge make a proper legal ruling to exclude this new witness?

That is not at all what he said. He said that he agreed he shouldn't be classified as a "forensics expert". There is a huge difference. I believe what the appeals court is going to have to do is to decide what a "network security expert" versus a "forensics expert" is allowed to testify about. And here is what I found relevant from the testimony of GM:

HK: that's okay, are you familiar with the title "Network Security Expert"? are you familiar with people who perform that function?

HK: And is a Network Security Expert capable of - well...are they capable of extracting information from workstations in an effective and competant manner?
GM: Yes, that's part of their job. I've got colleagues in the industry and I deal with these corporate folks.

HK: And, are they capable of evaluating Master File Tables?

HK: Are they capable of evaluating login trees?
GM: Yes, they have to. When there's an intrusion on the network, or if somebody came in through the network, and it affects other computers on the sys- on the network, they have to look at those logs. A lot of times we're relying on those IT security folks or network Administrators because they know their system better than we do and...we rely on them, we get called in we're looking at those logs, we have them preserve those logs. Any data that's accessible whether its event logs on the computer, whether its on the router, whther its on the network server, we need those...so we can evaluate them and analyze them.

I look at it this way. CF wasn't being offered as a forensics expert, but he was allowed to testify about the systems event logs (even though he ultimately didn't testify). So why wouldn't he have to be a forensics expert to testify about system event logs? It's the same thing for JW. He was to testify about things he looks at all the time with regards to his job. I agree that he shouldn't have been allowed to present his own mft...but he should have been allowed to testify about what he saw in the prosecutions version of the mft.

No metadata for files involving Google Maps search.

Another interesting piece of the testimony by GM is that the disk, before it was imaged and after the system was shut down, was accessed in read/write mode by another system. Did not use a write block.

I think what it comes down to is the def had 2 1/2 years to review this evidence. We know they had two experts who didn't testify. That speaks volumes to me.

This guy was only looking at the dates from the day before NC went missing to the time it was confiscated by LE. It had already been testified to that LE made a HUGE error in not turning off the computer. So you have some guy watching the trial and he knows about computer forensics and thinks he can find more evidence than what has already been provided in testimony.

It's called dueling experts and happens all the time.

I didn't see anything in that testimony that was exculpatory to the defendent. This expert was only looking for specific data, period. He found a way to IMPLY it was LE that altered the computer. Yet, the defendent was in possession of the computer for three days after the disappearance of his wife. He last had access at 3:10p.m. on 7/15, just two hours before it was confiscated. Then it was left on, which also gave him 'oppotunity' to access his account from his friend's home. There's also the issue of the router that may have been used. Yes, and then the trojan, etc, etc,.........already testified to.

Nope, there's enough already in testimony to dispute this guy's findings, as far as I'm concerned. If he were allowed, it would put the case on hold. Then the pros would have to have an opportunity to cross and have THEIR newly found expert to dispute this guy's findings. IF there was REALLY evidence of LE tampering, the defense had plenty of time to prove it BEFORE trial and they didn't.

While many who are into computers found the technical evidence fascinating, all of this computer detail forensic speak is subterfuge to the jury. They had to listen carefully to grasp what was relevant to the case and not try to become a computer expert. They used common sense in their guilty verdict.

I just don't see this flying on appeal basing this (not formally presented) evidence.

JMHO, of course!
fran

I think what it comes down to is the def had 2 1/2 years to review this evidence. We know they had two experts who didn't testify. That speaks volumes to me.

This guy was only looking at the dates from the day before NC went missing to the time it was confiscated by LE. It had already been testified to that LE made a HUGE error in not turning off the computer. So you have some guy watching the trial and he knows about computer forensics and thinks he can find more evidence than what has already been provided in testimony.

It's called dueling experts and happens all the time.

I didn't see anything in that testimony that was exculpatory to the defendent. This expert was only looking for specific data, period. He found a way to IMPLY it was LE that altered the computer. Yet, the defendent was in possession of the computer for three days after the disappearance of his wife. He last had access at 3:10p.m. on 7/15, just two hours before it was confiscated. Then it was left on, which also gave him 'oppotunity' to access his account from his friend's home. There's also the issue of the router that may have been used. Yes, and then the trojan, etc, etc,.........already testified to.

Nope, there's enough already in testimony to dispute this guy's findings, as far as I'm concerned. If he were allowed, it would put the case on hold. Then the pros would have to have an opportunity to cross and have THEIR newly found expert to dispute this guy's findings. IF there was REALLY evidence of LE tampering, the defense had plenty of time to prove it BEFORE trial and they didn't.

While many who are into computers found the technical evidence fascinating, all of this computer detail forensic speak is subterfuge to the jury. They had to listen carefully to grasp what was relevant to the case and not try to become a computer expert. They used common sense in their guilty verdict.

I just don't see this flying on appeal basing this (not formally presented) evidence.

JMHO, of course!
fran

Okay, 2 points. First, we know the defense didn't have the money to pay the other 2 expert witnesses. And second, the prosecution had the same evidence for an even longer period of time, yet found "new evidence" after they rested.

The pros is given the last word. They countered with discovery that showed up in response to witnesses who had already appeared. They also did NOT introduce a NEW witness. These were people that were already listed BEFORE the trial started. IIRCC, the one guy from Cisco, who ended up not testifying before the jury, had already been on the witness list but hadn't been called up to that point.

Apples and oranges.

JMHO
fran

June 23 seems to be a magic date on that laptop.
I wonder the significance.
Is it system caused: Was an OS update done on that date? Was the browser software updated on that date? Was this the day the BC started using this laptop? (Older files copied from older PC)
Is it person caused: Could BC have started using the laptop in a different way on that date? Is that the day the planning started? What day did NC leave on vacation?

HK: and is there any limitation as to what time it could have actually occured, given the way computers work?
GM: It could happen at an earlier time, things change I can use a program to make it say whatever I want ot to say...especially with Vista, Vista - when it came out, I still have my old Vista machine from 08, I purchased mine in April as well and numerous problems.
Is GM implying that the laptop was a new purchase in April and that it is running Vista?
BZ: And um, did you ever have occasion - what did you look at to determine spoilation in the files and that sort of stuff, what...
GM: I looked at last-accessed
Does this imply that the invalid timestamps were limited to the last-access timestamps?

Too many open questions to have a reasonable discussion about the technical merits of this testimony.

BZ had a lot of questions about router logs. If BC gets a second trial, I think he'll have more digital evidence to deal with, that we never heard about in the first trial.

NCSU, read the sentence right before the one you highlighted. I clearly said "as a forensic expert."

Cisco is the entity that found info they hadn't talked about before--specifically those log files showing BC was using that 3825 on Fri 7/11 at 10:30pm. Chris Frye. He wasn't called and that was a decision the state made (whether to call him or not). The IM chat log from an existing and already-testified witness (Greg M) didn't put the state in the same spot, so he was called, and it was enough proof to show BC had a 3825 router.

The defense made decisions that didn't work out for their client. Spaghetti defenses are messy and imprecise and, often, simply not very effective.

NCSU, read the sentence right before the one you highlighted. I clearly said "as a forensic expert."

Cisco is the entity that found info they hadn't talked about before--specifically those log files showing BC was using that 3825 on Fri 7/11 at 10:30pm. Chris Frye. He wasn't called and that was a decision the state made (whether to call him or not). The IM chat log from an existing and already-testified witness (Greg M) didn't put the state in the same spot, so he was called, and it was enough proof to show BC had a 3825 router.

The defense made decisions that didn't work out for their client. Spaghetti defenses are messy and imprecise and, often, simply not very effective.

My mistake. I clearly have an issue with reading comprehension today.

I've asked this before - is there a professional certification for any expert?

Or is ti just if both parties agree they are an expert? These areas of forensics and network security and tampering and file alteration / spoilation, etc or so intertwined - I am wondering if the judge was not splitting hairs that should not have been split?

Are we talking about a Dr. using Dr. Nelson, or Greg Nelson, MD? Or a vet using DVM, or VMD designations?

I can easily see how forensics and network security would have huge overlap....

I've asked this before - is there a professional certification for any expert?

Or is ti just if both parties agree they are an expert? These areas of forensics and network security and tampering and file alteration / spoilation, etc or so intertwined - I am wondering if the judge was not splitting hairs that should not have been split?

Are we talking about a Dr. using Dr. Nelson, or Greg Nelson, MD? Or a vet using DVM, or VMD designations?

I can easily see how forensics and network security would have huge overlap....

here's the relevant statutes in the evidence code....

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_8C/Article_7.html

In June 2008, Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 8 was in Beta test. IE8, not released until March 2009, introduced "inPrivate Browsing" and "ClearTracks". These features automatically clears the digital bread crumbs left on a system when a user uses the browser.

I wonder if BC had an Beta copy installed. If so, it must have been buggy to leave the evidence of the map search. If he did not have this software, BC had to manually clean up after himself each time he did research on the web.

It would be interesting to know what OS and software was installed on the laptop, and see the windows system event log from June 23 to see what changes were made on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500