BREAKING: NY - James Burke, ex-police chief of Suffolk County, arrested for soliciting a male undercover officer, 22 Aug 2023

But the county dropped charges of offering a sex act and criminal solicitation after discussions with Suffolk police detectives, Suffolk County spokeswoman Marykate Guilfoyle said Tuesday.

Suffolk District Attorney Ray Tierney’s office ultimately reviewed and approved two charges — public lewdness and indecent exposure, according to Tania Lopez, a spokeswoman for his office. The district attorney's office did not receive additional charges and did not reject charges, she said

Well, I am GOBSMACKED!! I love that expression! But I'm so disgusted by JB. I used to babysit for a former neighbor who was a
local police officer and have such wonderful memories of him and his family, and never heard a bad word about him. And then you have the creeps like JB. I just wanted to reiterate that there ARE
GOOD COPS OUT THERE, THANK GOD!! JMO MOO

That's exactly what it sounds like to me.

It's interesting to watch it all play out, after so many years. It's encouraging that other LE agencies are watching the process, namely NY state police and FBI, not to mention national news media.

Rex Heuermann has been arrested and his case is moving through the criminal justice system, so progress is being made.

It is quite possible that Johnny Pius III was murdered by an adult. We really don't know since the investigation was so tainted.

That occurred in Smithtown. Smithtown is in Suffolk County.

Massepequa Park is hardly far away in Nassau.

I can't think off hand of a "gimme" for their knowing each other before adulthood for similar illicit recreation interests.

Rex testified to being involved in competition rifle, though when and where? Idk. Reportedly, he had to get home from school to mom.

I don't know if they were both Catholic and doing Catholic kid things?

James Burke was reportedly a low-level criminal and marijuana enthusiast in his HS years.

The not-wild speculation is Jimmy Burke, a young JD-type, got off of some minor charge by helping Spota, a young prosecutor, close the Pious case. And he did it really well, a fantastic lying states witness. (We can add child abuse to Spota's rap sheet-you don't teach children to crime better for your own convenience.)

MOO
check his locations against the buildings rH had access to during the relevant years?
Check whether RH ever had a contract for a building occupied by or about to be occupied by Suffolk LE?

check his locations against the buildings rH had access to during the relevant years?
Check whether RH ever had a contract for a building occupied by or about to be occupied by Suffolk LE?
I don't see them coming across each other in teen years because afaik, neither was into activities, like a sports team or music, that would cause them to meet other scools. They also didn't grow up that geographically close to easily mix leagues. I have no knowledge of their upbringing, so I'm basing this on the name Burke and the report that Rex has been meeting with Catholic clergy. But they could have gone to the same Catholic camp or something.

i Don't recall where Rex went to college at all. I think Burke went right to trying for the NYS police force/academy? Or did he go to college first, maybe for an AS?

it would be interesting to trace how far back the party scene goes in their backgrounds.

MOO

I'm thinking about this a little more and I've always assumed Burke was a sociopath who didn't want any agencies he couldn't control digging around in the sex trade and subcultures that surround it on LI because his participation in that underworld would likely be discovered- but I ruled him out as LISK: too risky, too far-fetched.

But this latest arrest?

This tells us he's got compulsions around transgression and taboos (I don't want to say *deviance* because gay/queer sex isn't deviant). He could have easily hooked up on an app or in a bar, but that probably wouldn't have delivered the same thrill for him, too vanilla. I'm starting to finally believe that his sociopathy and thrill-seeking could include murder, and I'm back thinking about the asian person listed as male, but dressed in women's clothing, and Sugar Bear again.

I REALLY would like to know what type of "deviant pr0n" was in that bag of his that was stolen consisted of, and whether there were real or simulated acts of violence or torture. If there were, I super hope the task force is taking another look at him with fresh eyes too.
I really worry and wonder about James further victimizing SA survivors who came to him for help. Not saying he did do that, but he clearly is capable of such acts.
I have always thought that Burke was involved in some kind of smut p*rn industry. Whether as a consumer, a producer, or all of the above. And when you brought up Asian Doe and Sugar Bear in this post my heart dropped and it’s feeling a bit eerie. The coincidences and connections. My mind is all over the place! I too hope the task force looks into this. Interested to see where this rollercoaster is going to take us.

JMO
Who is Sugar Bear?

<modsnipped: No link to support information stated as fact>

ALL MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Two of four original charges against James Burke, Suffolk's disgraced former chief of police, have been dropped following his arrest last week during a sex solicitation sting at a Farmingville park, a spokeswoman for the county said Tuesday.

The park police recommended charging Burke, 58, with offering a sex act and fifth-degree criminal solicitation in addition to public lewdness and indecent exposure. County officials announced Burke's arrest and the four charges at a news conference last week.

But the county dropped charges of offering a sex act and criminal solicitation after discussions with Suffolk police detectives, Suffolk County spokeswoman Marykate Guilfoyle said Tuesday.

Suffolk District Attorney Ray Tierney’s office ultimately charged Burke with public lewdness and indecent exposure, court documents show. Officials also confirmed the dropping of the two charges.

It's not so great that instead of Harrison's podium statement of "more charges may be added" we instead get "2 charges have been dropped."

We know from news reports the crude comment he made. But if that was all there was it doesn't seem it was enough to make out the elements of the charge: (1) to solicit, request, importune or otherwise attempt to cause [the undercover to engage] in the crime (2) with the intent that the [undercover] commits the crime. N.Y. Penal Law § 100.00 All JMO

Looks like they got out ahead of their skis. If they had not hopped right on him he very well could have reached full solicitation. Not great.

Moo

It's not so great that instead of Harrison's podium statement of "more charges may be added" we instead get "2 charges have been dropped."

We know from news reports the crude comment he made. But if that was all there was it doesn't seem it was enough to make out the elements of the charge: (1) to solicit, request, importune or otherwise attempt to cause [the undercover to engage] in the crime (2) with the intent that the [undercover] commits the crime. N.Y. Penal Law § 100.00 All JMO

Looks like they got out ahead of their skis. If they had not hopped right on him he very well could have reached full solicitation. Not great.

Moo

maybe he had some chips they didn't want cashed in?
This was a sting operation, after all.

They state they didn't recognise him while they arrested him and that he reminded them of who he believes he is.

I would hazard a guess that they acted correctly.
But there was a thing he might have had...
edit typo

Last edited:
maybe he had some chips they didn't want cashed in?
This was a sting operation, after all.

They state they didn't recognise him while they arrested him and that he reminded them of who he believes he is.

I would hazard a guess that they acted correctly.
But there was a think he might have had...

If all he said is what they reported he said, they moved too fast. Not enough to make out the element I', thinking. jmo

<modsnip: quoted/referenced post was modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:
Soliciting get legalised overnight then?
For whatever reason, not offer of money or anything to show he was in fact, paying the cop to do something illegal was ever mentioned.

This could be because there was no evidence of solicitation- just an offer of sex. If this is the case, LE should have had their ducks in a row before making the charge.

It could be because there was evidence of something more serious than soliciting sex. I believe this may be the case, because when the news was just breaking, there were drug rumors. If Burke offered the cop illegal drugs as a currency to solicit, then that could have explained the "possible other charges," possession.

Buying sex is yucky IMO, and certainly illegal. But truth be told, Burke isn't getting treated better than others afaik for the charges. He has brought upon himself extra public attention. But that is because of his own crime history, not because LE was treating him extra harshly. IMO the only difference is his arrest was more public than average, which I guess is "worse," but he caused his own infamy.

Now if there was something like, he was caught with drugs and did not get charged---to me that might be good news. Maybe some negotiation occurred where LE felt they gained something from Burke in exchange for dropping charges/not charging. I certainly hope so. And if Burke makes LE regret that deal, it's probably just a matter of time until he gets caught doing something similar, anyway.

MOO

i dont think he is a sex worker, just a massive creep
For what we know of these charges, agree. In the universe of illegal stuff, it could be worse. He has proven it.

We also know he is a convicted violent felon. It just so happens the recent charges not felonies.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back