Brianna Dennison 19yo Reno NV #9

The thing about drug users are that they are normally thin, excluding steroid users. So he may be an occasional user but I doubt an addict, IMO. Now I don't know a thing about steroid users.

I haven't posted in quiet some time on this case, but I have peeked in to see if there were any new leads. I am so happy and relieved that this has been caught.

The pain and fear that he has inflicted on these families, people in the community and elsewhere has finally come to an end. I can only hope that justice prevails and he gets what he deserves.

Thank goodness for the person who made the connection and called the police.

Feb. 2010? I guess the wheels of justice are turning very slowly on this one. Wow. They could drag this out for years. GRRRRR!

This stinks. I was hoping we would be seeing a trial by the summer. Bringing Bri justice will take 3 years!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx . I was so hoping to possibly go to this trial in person, but because it's been pushed til Feb 2010, school will be in session and I won't be able to attend. I keep wondering if they'll be able to seat a jury here. I don't want to see this go to Clark Co.

It'll be interesting to see what the defense comes up with, in my opinion this man waged terror on this city for over a year. I still don't feel comfortable going out alone downtown at night. I do feel like RPD did a superb job in solving this horrific crime.

Hmmm Feb 2010 now. I might actaully have alot of PTO saved up if not layed off. This is one I wold love to see closure on.:crazy:

Makes no sense to me. They dealt with Darren Mack much faster.
But it didn't take LE almost a year to identify & arrest him either. Doesn't a lot depend on the trial judge's calendar too?

Well, in general, if the defense wants something it's to make their client look better if at all possible. He can be tied to the crimes in different ways, and based on what I saw at the preliminary hearing I can tell they are going to try to pull a real slimy character assassination on the first girl he raped (who saw him) and will try to mess with the second girl (who did not see him but they have DNA evidence from - but she does NOT speak English well and lives in a different country). The idea is to not let the jury see the totality of his behavior.

I think it's a long shot. Even if they do separate the trials, he can get the maximum sentence for the crimes against Brianna. But with the various organizations that will rush to his defense the moment he is convicted I'd like to see as many charges as possible proven at once to make sure he gets the needle without delay.
I'm wondering what the defense is going to say about the fact he left the first two vics alive. Do you think they'll try to say he has a merciful side and didn't mean to kill Bri?

I'm wondering what the defense is going to say about the fact he left the first two vics alive. Do you think they'll try to say he has a merciful side and didn't mean to kill Bri?
Is he going to confess to any of the crimes? :confused:

I've been poking around. One thing they may be trying to do is avoid the death penalty by not having the murder of Brianna tied in the same proceeding to any other crime that could be an aggravating element.

There was a guy in Reno - David Middleton - who is on death row for abducting and killing 2 women in separate events. He was tried for both murders together and got the death penalty for committing more than one murder. He appealed on various grounds, and lost the appeal. Here is an excerpt:

Source: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=nv&vol=114nvadvopno120&invol=2

I'm not up on Nevada law, but is it possible for him to split these trials up? I read your post above, but can't decipher legal jargon too well~I'll blame it one the blonde hair..lol- works everytime)

Can he he be tried for the rapes/att rapes/assults where these young women lived, and then they cant bring up Brianna since her case hasnt been tried yet?
or
Can he be tried for the other girls and have those cases thrown out for some crazy reason and the jury in Brianna's case wouldnt have that info of his priors?

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I dont remember seeing it anywhere? What a shame it would be if this isnt held accountable for all offenses at once, so they can have the the full picture of exactly what type of monster could possibly run their streets on day on parole?

Thnak - You have been and are SPOT ON on all of your replies so far :blowkiss:. Thank you my fave Mod (OK,tie between you and Christine :))

Lawyer for Biela argues for 3 separate trials

The strangulation of Brianna Denison, the rape of another woman at gunpoint in a parking garage and the abduction and sexual assault of a third woman were all distinctly different crimes, and each should be tried separately, a lawyer for James Biela argued Friday.

"They would like the court to believe there was a similar attack pattern," Deputy Public Defender Jay Slocum said of the prosecutors. "Our contention was there is not."

But Deputy District Attorney Elliott Sattler cited a list of similarities among the three cases -- they occurred near the university, late at night, against women who had similar builds -- and asked Washoe District Judge Robert Perry to keep the cases together.

"What we have here is a man who basically is a predator," Sattler said.

Sattler said Biela conducted "sexually motivated attacks on unsuspecting
college-aged girls. The facts, they all point to the same person committing all of these acts one month after the other."

Perry said he would announce his decision on the request on Monday or Tuesday. At present, the trial is set for Feb. 22. If Perry separated the three charges, Sattler said he would keep that date for the Denison trial, and hold the two others sooner, in chronological order.

Denison, a Reno native, was a 19-year-old student at Santa Barbara City College when she disappeared from a friend's house near the University of Nevada, Reno campus early on Jan. 20, 2008. Her body was found on Feb. 15, 2008, in a field in southeast Reno.

Biela also is charged with raping a UNR student on about 10 p.m. on Oct. 22, 2007, as she headed toward her car. She testified at Biela's preliminary hearing that she was grabbed from behind and raped on the ground. She did not report the attack until January, and no DNA evidence was saved.

more at: http://www.rgj.com/article/20090502/NEWS01/905020352/1321/NEWS

I have a question for you legal-eagles out there:

IF Biela gets lucky and gets his trials split in three, will the Prosecution be able to use those convictions in his other up-coming cases? Im just curious if SAs are able to use prior convictions against you.

I can honestly see both sides of the argument and Im not sure where I would look it up online, so sorry for wasting anyone's time :)

TIA

Chico, not a legal-eagle but in other cases they have allowed past criminal history in to show a pattern of behavior.

Chico, not a legal-eagle but in other cases they have allowed past criminal history in to show a pattern of behavior.
You're so right, and in the two trials of Phil Spector, "prior bad acts" (PBA) witnesses were allowed to testify as to his behavior, even though he was never charged with prior 'crimes'. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back