GUILTY Brock Turner, college swimmer, CONVICTED of rape - sentenced to only 6 months in jail

http://time.com/4362949/stanford-sexual-assault-not-rape/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Why We Can’t Call Brock Turner a ‘Rapist’

But we should be able to

Brock Turner has been convicted of sexual assault. He is not, technically, a rapist.

Legally, the distinction matters. The definition of rape varies state to state. California, like many states, defines rape, specifically, as “an act of sexual intercourse” under circumstances in which a victim is unconscious or incapable of giving consent, among other criteria. Other types of sexual assault—including forcible acts of sexual penetration by any foreign object—are defined and categorized as different crimes.

ETA: Absolutely not defending him in the slightest. I just know there has been talk about why the media aren't calling him the "Stanford Rapist" What he did was awful but as a non-American I found the explanation helpful

Bless you, my Friend. Tell it Sister, I'm sure you speak for so many -- you speak for me, but I'm gonna speak for me, and for others whom I hope will pass this on to let daughters or sisters or other young women know that date rape is NOT THEIR FAULT and it is a felony:

Date rape happened to me. Date rape is rape. Period. We were both in college. We were watching a live concert on TV at my girl friend's apt. She was on the back patio with her boyfriend. My date and I were sitting side by side on the sofa -- we had never even kissed. Fully cIothed -- jeans, shirts, etc. I was not drinking because I had stopped the alcohol thing a while back. He had a beer. So there was nothing "drunk" about it. He just rolled over on me & started taking off my jeans. I was shocked, saying stop, trying to pull my jeans & underwear back up, trying to get up -- he held me down, it hurt. I could not stop him. He got done quickly, but he did "finish." I got up, pulled my pants back on, slapped him hard in the face, got my bag and walked out. I hid outside because I had no car. He left quickly. Then I went back in. Call the police? Not a thought. Not back then. Hell, Nixon was in the White House.

And I did nothing more about it because I was then, and am now, a wimp.

But don't let anyone ever say that date rape is not rape. Because it is.

Anyway, I just checked the petition:

977,046 supporters -- they're going for a million. For whatever good it will do. You bet your butt I signed it. Made me smile. For a second or too. I'm back to mad, angry, insulted, I find myself unable to breathe with I read about it. I have to stop & catch my breath.

Stanford, Vanderbilt, they're just a couple. Anywhere.

You. Are. Not. A. Wimp!!! Hugs to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could we possibly have this thread moved to the "Crimes in the News" forum?

http://time.com/4362949/stanford-sexual-assault-not-rape/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

ETA: Absolutely not defending him in the slightest. I just know there has been talk about why the media aren't calling him the "Stanford Rapist" What he did was awful but as a non-American I found the explanation helpful

That sort of makes sense. But no way should they be calling him a swimmer. Can we all agree he's a pervert? Convicted criminal? Sex offender?

Bless you, my Friend. Tell it Sister, I'm sure you speak for so many -- you speak for me, but I'm gonna speak for me, and for others whom I hope will pass this on to let daughters or sisters or other young women know that date rape is NOT THEIR FAULT and it is a felony:

Date rape happened to me. Date rape is rape. Period. We were both in college. We were watching a live concert on TV at my girl friend's apt. She was on the back patio with her boyfriend. My date and I were sitting side by side on the sofa -- we had never even kissed. Fully cIothed -- jeans, shirts, etc. I was not drinking because I had stopped the alcohol thing a while back. He had a beer. So there was nothing "drunk" about it. He just rolled over on me & started taking off my jeans. I was shocked, saying stop, trying to pull my jeans & underwear back up, trying to get up -- he held me down, it hurt. I could not stop him. He got done quickly, but he did "finish." I got up, pulled my pants back on, slapped him hard in the face, got my bag and walked out. I hid outside because I had no car. He left quickly. Then I went back in. Call the police? Not a thought. Not back then. Hell, Nixon was in the White House.

And I did nothing more about it because I was then, and am now, a wimp.

But don't let anyone ever say that date rape is not rape. Because it is.

Anyway, I just checked the petition:

977,046 supporters -- they're going for a million. For whatever good it will do. You bet your butt I signed it. Made me smile. For a second or too. I'm back to mad, angry, insulted, I find myself unable to breathe with I read about it. I have to stop & catch my breath.

Stanford, Vanderbilt, they're just a couple. Anywhere.

I'm sorry for what you went through. Thank you for sharing your story.

You were not a wimp! How many girls and women kept their stories to themselves? MANY. And many still do. They don't report assaults and rapes for many different reasons and I know you wouldn't consider them wimps so guess what?

You are not a wimp.

Hugs for your honesty and bravery.

That sort of makes sense. But no way should they be calling him a swimmer. Can we all agree he's a pervert? Convicted criminal? Sex offender?

Yes, he is all of those. I think his new name should be "Rapist, formerly known as Brock Turner."

Dear Borndem,

Thank you for sharing your story. It took courage and brought back memories that I'm sure you keep in a locked cage.

"Call the police? Not a thought. Not back then. Hell, Nixon was in the White House.

And I did nothing more about it because I was then, and am now, a wimp."

You are not a wimp! A wimp would not be sharing this story with us. Back then, things were so different! I bet there are few of us here who would have called the police. Police were so judgemental and the old adage of "well, what did you -the girl- do? You must have asked for it by dress or mannerisms". And then there were the parents to deal with.

This was a horrendous event for you. I hope you had someone close that you could talk to. Carrying this burden alone would be devastating as well as dealing with the after thoughts.

My heart goes out to you for the turmoil and mental anguish you have suffered. May the time that has passed brought you relief and peace.

In a way, this short sentence has been good. I don't think this rage would have exploded across social media and news outlets had he been given an appropriate sentence. More people see him for what he is.

Hmmm -- thinking about it.... After those 6 quick months, a number of people will still remember his name and face.... won't they?

Blind date anyone? ----> only if he has an an alias.

What college was second on his list? Hmmm.... questions, questions on that application, such as "Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor? Of a felony?"

Snipped for focus

Lots of young men find themselves in this situation and they manage not to rape the woman. IMO drinking really had nothing to do with it. The thought, the motivation, was there, where it isn't with other young men. Had he had less, or nothing, to drink, I think he still would have raped this woman. His first thought was not helping her, it was to take advantage of her.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly.

I've heard he is appealing his conviction. Does anyone know if an appeal can backfire? Could a new judge give him more time if the new judge believes he deserves it?

We all know this Rich Boy did NOT write this letter! His lawyer has had someone write it so it would be "perfect" in appealing to what the judge wants to hear.

Another Ethan Couch case where a slap on the wrist for the public's eye.

Affluenza strikes again.

I'm glad he got the punishment he did. If he had pleaded guilty or given a few years in prison, we likely would have not heard of the case. He was arrogant enough to think that a jury would find him innnocent. At this point, more jail time doesn't even matter. The only way he can be sentenced to more jail time is if the case is thrown out and he gets a new trial. Why put the victim through the trial again?

I also don't think his family is THAT rich, either. Upper middle class, sure, but after the money they probably spent on legal fees, I wouldn't be surprised if they are not doing well. Has anyone heard anything about the parents' occupations? I bet they are more McMansion than Mansion. I bring this up to figure out just how financially ruined the family will be after all of this. I see so many comments saying things like "He can just work for his dad!" and is his dad in the position where he has 100% say over who is hired? I see other comments saying his parents can just donate to a school to take him---where has it been said that they have that much money? Unfortunately, there are people who are sympathetic towards him so I'm sure he will be able to find a job somehow.

Congress Will Read Aloud The Full Statement From The Stanford Sexual Assault Victim
Lawmakers from both parties will take part.

06/09/2016 05:00 pm ET | Updated 3 hours ago
Tyler Kingkade
Senior Editor/Reporter, The Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...m-letter-congress_us_5758d597e4b00f97fba74969

U.S. Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) will host a one-hour special order on the evening of June 15. Members of Congress, both men and women, will read the Stanford survivor’s statement in full over the course of an hour. Members from both parties are expected to participate.​

More...

This has the potential to be so powerful. I think this is the first time in almost 8 years that I have some respect for the actions of Congress as a whole. I so appreciate the Vice President for standing behind this victim. I know she feels she will never be the same, but I hope the overwhelming support, even from the highest levels of the US government, reinforces a degree of pride and a recognition of her status as a warrior, rather than a victim.

I know that a lot of people are saying that everyone will forget about Brock in a few months, but I don't think that's true. There are plenty of high-profile cases that are still remembered years later. This case reminds me a lot of the Preppie Murderer case and I think that case is pretty well-known among those who remember when it happened. It's definitely not an obscure case. How many crimes are there each year that get the amount of widespread attention this one has? The Vice President wrote a message to the victim. Congress is going to read the victim impact statement. 1 million people signed a petition. The lack of victim-blaming in this rape case has to be historical. I really don't think Brock Turner and the Stanford rape case will be forgotten---It will leave the news at some point, like every other story, but I definitely think this case will remain well-known for a very long time.

Sorry, another terminology question. What's the difference between jail and prison in the US? I think they are the same thing in the UK?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nursestump
Back