GUILTY Brock Turner, college swimmer, CONVICTED of rape - sentenced to only 6 months in jail

Good news here...

http://m.stltoday.com/news/national...cle_721dd760-d202-51c4-924b-f8fd925b810a.html

— A fledgling campaign to recall the judge who sentenced a former Stanford University swimmer to six months in jail for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman gained momentum Friday as three prominent political consultants joined the effort.

The Recall Judge Aaron Persky campaign said media consultant Joe Trippi, campaign strategist John Shallman and pollster Paul Maslin would help secure the signatures and votes required to remove the Santa Clara County jurist from the bench next year.

Trippi has worked for a number of Democratic presidential candidates, while Maslin's clients include Gov. Jerry Brown and members of Congress. Shallman has worked for the president of the California Senate, who spearheaded passage of a law requiring colleges and universities to apply a "yes means yes" standard in sexual misconduct cases.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Brock's mother, Carleen Turner:

"I beg of you, please don’t send him to jail/prison. Look at him. He won’t survive it. He will be damaged forever and I fear he would be a major target. Stanford boy, college kid, college athlete -- all the publicity,” Carleen Turner wrote in her statement, which was among the court documents made public today. “This would be a death sentence for him.”

Why don't these women realize what they are admitting about themselves and their own compromises?

Mom's assertion that the trial "destroyed" her family - The verdict has destroyed us. All I have to say about that is she needs to understand that it was her son and his actions, his inability to exert any self control, that has "destroyed" them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Mom's assertion that the trial "destroyed" her family - The verdict has destroyed us. All I have to say about that is she needs to understand that it was her son and his actions, his inability to exert any self control, that has "destroyed" them.

Not to mention that he apparently felt entitled to penetrate whoever he wanted to whenever he wanted to, whether they consented or were conscious or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This!

I will add the obvious: What did he learn at home? She needs to take some responsibility for whatever she taught him. And Dad, too

An interesting essay, worth a read...

I Founded Stanford’s Sexual Assault Prevention Office.
Here’s Why Brock Turner’s Case Is Unusual.

The Huffington Post
06/10/2016 03:06 pm ET | Updated 2 hours ago
By Susan Epstein
Elected school board member, strategic management consultant,
attorney, educator, CS + social good enthusiast, writer, parent​

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan...brock-turners-case-is-unusual_b_10392282.html

“As the Founder of Stanford’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Education Office, I counseled approximately 100 survivors on whether to report their assault to the university and to the police. That same year I also led efforts to educate thousands of students, staff, and faculty on the difference between consent and violence. Our innovative programs got national attention and I was asked to provide testimony to Congress for the Violence Against Women Act on campus assault prevention education.

It’s good to read the recent Stanford University statement that they still train students to be proactive in stopping assaults and that two students did when they saw the violent actions of another student.

Brock Turner’s case is unusual in that most campus survivors are acquaintances with the assailant; there are no eyewitnesses; and most survivors don’t want to report to the police or get involved with the criminal justice system. Few reports of sexual assault ever lead to prosecution.”​

Much, much more...

AND
, a link to the Stanford Daily article on the original founding in 1991:

Epstein works to define role in sexual assault
The Stanford Daily, Volume 200, 19 September 1991

http://stanforddailyarchive.com/cgi...19-01.1.4&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------#

my sister posted this petition, and according to my half sister, who is an attorney for the santa clara county public defender's office, he is actually a really good judge. idk wtf happened with this case.

I hope it is okay to paste a link to the petitions to unseat Persky. The news said they already had one million signatures, but their website says 880,000.

This group was on the ball and has already filed a complaint against the judge:
http://act.weareultraviolet.org/sig...&referring_akid=.2096808.B1fqs1&source=sp_c2c

The actual verdict carried heavy time.

But once again. Some judge decided that a stellar rich youngster shouldn't receive the amount of time for a rape or crack selling as others.

So was there evidence that suggested the victim and sir duecthe had plans for having sex in a park while she was passed out.

If not. He should have been sentenced to the maximum. Jmo.

The guilty verdict was there. But just like the affluenza teen.

The sentence by the judge was not.

So was the judge privy to a mentioned hook up between the two before this debacle?

Another note. This bull crap judge now has enough years to retire. Just like the affluenza judge.

So they bail out gracefully.

So is this how judges work?

The final pay under the table and then retire due to public pressure?

Is this a scheme known by all judges for a early retirement with no consequences?

Just asking. The old judges seem to make these certain judgments for the rich before retirement 2 months later. Jmo.

They seem to use a ace in the hold to get more before bailing out. Jmo.

From the article by the Founder of the Standford Sexual Assault Prevention Office found at link
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan...brock-turners-case-is-unusual_b_10392282.html

She states..
"I sometimes would hear about the same assailant multiple times. And, yet, I couldn’t make a strong recommendation to report; the criminal justice system seemed stacked against survivors, and it almost never seemed to be in the self-interest of the individual to go through that."

I wish she would of stated what actions she took, if any , after hearing about the same assailant multiple times. Would she not have a duty to report this to LE ??

From the article by the Founder of the Standford Sexual Assault Prevention Office found at link

She states..
"I sometimes would hear about the same assailant multiple times. And, yet, I couldn’t make a strong recommendation to report; the criminal justice system seemed stacked against survivors, and it almost never seemed to be in the self-interest of the individual to go through that."

I wish she would of stated what actions she took, if any , after hearing about the same assailant multiple times. Would she not have a duty to report this to LE ??

I work in higher ed. You cannot report if the victim decides she does not want to pursue charges. It's a b itch, I know. When the victim is a child/minor, yes, we have the duty to report immediately.

We do a lot of active bystander training. But, sometimes unfortunately the victims either do not report or, after talking to a counselor here they decide NOT to press charges. :(

I work in higher ed. You cannot report if the victim decides she does not want to pursue charges. It's a b itch, I know. When the victim is a child/minor, yes, we have the duty to report immediately.

We do a lot of active bystander training. But, sometimes unfortunately the victims either do not report or, after talking to a counselor here they decide NOT to press charges. :(

And really, with the system the way it is, can you blame a victim for not wanting to press charges? It's really you, your behavior, your character, your history that's on trial. Not so much the assailant.

Her son was damaged already or he would never have committed such a horrific crime "damaging" an innocent person. Mom's in serious denial.

It's an entire damaged culture. That he could send a photo to his "bros" and they did absolutely nothing to suggest it was wrong is telling. I can't help but feel that he was the first one to get caught and that is not the only time this has happened to this group.

The best thing a parent does is require a child to accept responsibility for their actions. This family blames everyone But the son who raped an unconscious student! The judge compounded the lack of accountability for this dysfunctional family!

I'd love to see some statistics on how this judge has sentenced rapists in other cases. Like, what accounts for variation in the sentences he gives? Age? Wealth? Race? I'll bet there would be some pretty disgusting patterns emerging after a brief analysis.

There's a lot of money in Santa Clara County...or more commonly known as, Silicon Valley.

I'd love to see some statistics on how this judge has sentenced rapists in other cases. Like, what accounts for variation in the sentences he gives? Age? Wealth? Race? I'll bet there would be some pretty disgusting patterns emerging after a brief analysis.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...seball-players-accused-rape-article-1.2667813

[FONT=&quot]"The scope of the judge's discretion was very wide. Having said that, I felt overall the decisions he made favored the defendants more than the plaintiff," Spector told The News.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In one such ruling, Persky allowed lawyers for the baseball players to show Facebook photos of the female plaintiff socializing in revealing clothing more than six months after the alleged sex assault.[/FONT]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nursestump
Back