Brooke Bennett, 12 years old Randolph VT #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were furious. We told them we didn't appreciate them harassing our son. He has never even been sent to the office...then they want to embarass him over something he had nothing to do with.
I was in a similar situation years ago..no police were involved, but I went nuts when the principal questioned my son about something that took place off campus and not on school time... it didn't even involve my son. In so many words, I said..."If you ever question my son again without a parent present, I'll sue your pants off!"

I really thought that if they had been dead a certain amount of time they couldn't have an open casket due to health concerns. This is what a friend of mine was told when he found his Dad dead after so many days.

Oh how sad. Maybe those laws too varry according to state.

Slain girl mourned amid flowers, snapshot collages and tears

Associated Press - July 8, 2008 6:15 PM ET
RANDOLPH, Vt. (AP) - Today mourners remembered 12-year-old Brooke Bennett at a wake in the building where she just graduated from seventh grade.

Filing past a series of photo collages and the girl's open casket, friends and acquaintances shared condolences with her mother and other family members in an auditorium at Randolph Union High School.

Hundreds were expected to pay their respects tonight and at a funeral scheduled for tomorrow.
http://www.fox44.net/Global/story.asp?S=8643339

Oh exactly. I don't blame you one bit. Heck they parents to the school if the child loses a page of homework and then don't bother picking up the phone with something important with police questioning.

Are you going to go before the school board and talk to them about it? Sometimes for the sake of your child it's best to not do more though. I feel for you and your son. Kids are so vulnerable. They don't know what to say in a situation like that and why would they? That's so sad. I'm sorry.

ETA: Tell the school officials to dress nice Monday morning because the local news media will be there to talk to them.

They felt like it was ok because the resource officer was present. We let it go because our board probably wouldn't have done anything and we didn't want to embarass my son any more than he was.

Because that's what's listed for the wake and funeral.

My very dearest Philamena,:blowkiss:
Just my opinion that Brooke was held captive and not murdered on the day that she went missing.

So much Love and Respect,
dark_shadows

Hi DS:blowkiss:. I am wondering about that myself. I am wondering how they could have an open casket after almost 2 weeks?

I saw June 25th listed at the day of death on the condolences page of the funeral home website. In the absence of any confirmed information about when she died, I'm not sure what other date they would have used.

I'm sorry, but I can’t help but to keep circling back to the why of all this.

Why would MJ feel the need to risk his cozy little setup by murdering his niece? I do think making Brooke disappear was his ultimate intention all along.

Unless killing people is something he’d done before - and there’s no evidence he ever crossed that line despite his threat to kill his 1993 victim (although I’d bet money the Feds are looking into that possibility very closely), it’s a big step to go from incest to murder. Especially in a family that seemed to tolerate deviant behavior.

What made Brooke such a big threat to him? Was it as simple as her knowing something he was desperate to keep her from revealing?

Hi DS:blowkiss:. I am wondering about that myself. I am wondering how they could have an open casket after almost 2 weeks?

hi there cali (waves)....hope you & the babies are doing fine:)

let's see...Brooke's body was found on July 2nd....that would be 7 days...

eta ... not to sound bad, but it's possible Brooke was very very swollen?....but then again, dang!...to be out in the heat in a shallow grave for 7 days, would be pretty damaging, i would think......hmmm

eta again...& thanks for the info bdmama!

I saw June 25th listed at the day of death on the condolences page of the funeral home website. In the absence of any confirmed information about when she died, I'm not sure what other date they would have used.

Why would MJ feel the need to risk his cozy little setup by murdering his niece? I do think making Brooke disappear was his ultimate intention all along.

Unless killing people is something he’d done before - and there’s no evidence he ever crossed that line despite his threat to kill his 1993 victim (although I’d bet money the Feds are looking into that possibility very closely), it’s a big step to go from incest to murder. Especially in a family that seemed to tolerate deviant behavior.

What made Brooke such a big threat to him? Was it as simple as her knowing something he was desperate to keep her from revealing?
This is what I have been thinking...and for my brain to rest I sure hope in the end we will know the answer to that.

ITA. There has to be a reason for why, and why now. If he just wanted to rape her he could have just told her if she told anyone he'd kill her...it has certainly worked millions of times in the past with young children.

:eek: I'm sorry but I have to ask...shouldn't have been because of visible trauma or visible decomposition?

Trauma can be "corrected" for an open casket.

Embalming helps preserve the body as does refrigeration. Depending on the position of the body, for instance lying face up, there might be less decomp or mottling.

Also, from what I understand, if they don't have an actual date of death then funeral homes usually put in "taken too soon" or something similiar. But in this case the funeral home has it listed "died June 25th,2008".

That poor little girl. I can't even imagine the heartache of her friends and classmates. Those poor little children. To lose friends to old age is excruciating but this I can't imagine.

Remember that other woman MJ kidnapped? He handcuffed and stuffed a gag in her mouth is what she said. I'm thinking that's how he could've restrained Brooke as well. Seemed to be his MO.

It look like the official date of her death is listed as the 25th of June.
Dearest Gigi,:blowkiss:
That is the date listed on the obituary from the family.
My friend was listed as missing, he was found murdered. The date the family listed in his obituary was the day that he went missing.

Love and respect,
dark_shadows

I did not attend but close friends did and said they had an open casket at the calling hours. :( Denise, A.R. & the daughter of MJ were nowhere to be seen and there were MANY police officers there.

Thank for posting this, bdmama. I believe Brooke's wake is through 8pm this evening, right?

I pray for comfort for everyone who cares about and loves Brooke (especially the innocent children), and are reeling from the pain and confusion of her death. Also, prayers for healing for the community. And, stricter enforcement of child sex offender laws and passage of new laws as necessary. A wake-up call to all parents to love your children and "Be a parent" to them!

RIP, dear Brooke. May your death not be in vain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member