Burning a Body . . . The Smell?

http://tinyurl.com/26ovpr

CNN: 'Cookout' Over Dead Marine's Body

The Raleigh Chronicle 17.JAN.08

JACKSONVILLE - According to a report that appeared on CNN's Nancy Grace Show on Thursday evening, it is alleged that after she disappeared, several people attended a "cookout" at the firepit where a female Marine's body was found.

Nancy Grace interviewed an editor from People Magazine, who said that the magazine was ready to publish a story that claims several people were present at a "cookout" at the house of Marine Corporal Cesar Laurean. Laurean, who is missing, is wanted in the death of Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, a fellow marine who was pregnant.

Her burned body was found last Saturday at Laurean's house near Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and before his disappearance, Laurean was accused of raping Lauterbach.

In the Nancy Grace segement that aired this evening, the People Magazine editor said that several people attended a "bonfire" or a "cookout" at Laurean's house at the very same firepit where her body was found last weekend.

The editor said he would not characterize the event as a "party" but definitely would describe it as a "bonfire" or "cookout."

In the segment, they said it was not known if the people attending the "cookout" were aware of the presence of Lauterbach's body or not.

Nancy Grace questioned how many people actually knew about the alleged murder of Lauterbach, but the editor said it is unlikely that many people would be able to keep a secret.

It should be noted that the "cookout" incident as reported by CNN and People Magazine has not been confirmed by police investigators involved in the case.

It was also reported on the show that police investigators now have in their possession a crowbar, that is possibly a murder weapon in the case.

The show claims that a person in the Jacksonville area turned in the crowbar to police after seeing reports of the alleged murder last Saturday.

RELATED STORIES:
::Marine's Truck Driven To Local Hotel On Monday

Thanks for posting that TG. I can't imagine what the guests are going through. What a cruel joke to play on your friends.

http://tinyurl.com/26ovpr

CNN: 'Cookout' Over Dead Marine's Body

The Raleigh Chronicle 17.JAN.08

It should be noted that the "cookout" incident as reported by CNN and People Magazine has not been confirmed by police investigators involved in the case.

It should be very easy to confirm whether this cookout really took place. Just ask the nosy neighbor........... I have a few doubts about this friendly bonfire with friends, and - as you all do - wonder how it's possible that

a) not only were the neighbors unable to identify the smell of the original "cremation" fire but

b) the guests present at the bonfire/cookout didn't notice that this particular fire had a rather un-BBQ smell (imagine COOKOUT....they must have cooked something at this cookout no? Burgers? Marshmallows? WHAT??)

I think that the guests at this friendly event have serious mental and emotional problems right now and might be in need of long-term counseling, whether they knew Maria's body was in that pit or not.

--->>>Thanks close_enough. WHO in their right mind would have a BBQ Christmas day when the temperature is 35 degrees?????????? did!

Were we told by a talking head that the 'attendees' of that BBQ roasted things by the FIRE? Charcoal brickettes sp? do not have blazing flames.

Here in the Rocky Mountains in temps like that we would have LOGS burning to keep warm and roast marshmallows and head inside where its warm.

This is being posted by Camper who is an experienced camper.

Wonder HOW long they all stood in near freezing temps with red coals from brickettes? Better yet just what was COOKED over this pit, besides goose. aka 'His goose is cooked.'

I think they invited people over to give the "firepit" a legitimate reason for being in the middle of his backyard. People could then say...yes, there was a pit for a bonfire and we didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Laureans thought it would be a way to cover having it and also a way to cause further damage to the bodies. I honestly doubt they cooked dinner over this fire tho. They probably used the grill to cook the food and maybe roasted marshmallows there.

It was an "in Maria's face" action by the Laurens without a doubt. I don't think the other people attending knew she was there.

Yes, it would be very traumatic for those people to know that buried underneath the ground and fire they were huddled around was one of their fellow Marines and her baby boy. I can imagine they are ill now knowing the circumstances. I know I would be.

Camper~ IF IF IF he used the charcoal briquettes to start a coal bed as would be used in roasting a pig underground, you would not see them. It was stated by a neighbor that he removed pieces of the wood fence and burned them. This could be what was burning during the "bonfire" or he could have added logs. We don't know what he used at that point...but I don't think it was the charcoal.

Looking at the video Nancy just showed. It was deeper then 6 inches. they were up to their knees in the hole

--->>>Indeed, that hole took a lot of WORK for digging it. The video showing them removing her body was more than shallow!!!!!!!!! Way deeper than shallow. I have watched grave diggers using a MACHINE to dig, and even then it takes a while to get the job done.

I have been to two UNDERGROUND pig roasts in my lifetime, and I do believe that the intense heat and the coverings to allow oxygen for the burning coals could absent intense odor to a large extent. Coals for a pig roast are begun early and pig is roasted for hours and hours.

A third and fourth pig roast I attended was done on an above ground SPIT. We could all watch the pig as it turned. My 'inventive sil' and his friends made the spit. The spit is in turn passed around among friends for their own pig roasts.

There was great advance planning for this 'pit'. I would like to know WHEN the flower planting excuse was given, what day was that????? I do believe that this was a premeditated murder.

When LE retrieves a body from a grave, they will dig much deeper and wider to sufficiently gather any and all evidence from the scene. It doesn't mean he dug the hole very deep.

I saw it mentioned about the date the shovel was borrowed, but I forget. I believe it was after she was killed tho.

When LE retrieves a body from a grave, they will dig much deeper and wider to sufficiently gather any and all evidence from the scene. It doesn't mean he dug the hole very deep.

I saw it mentioned about the date the shovel was borrowed, but I forget. I believe it was after she was killed tho.

I'm working on memory here, but I thought the neighbor mentioned that the shovel was borrowed on the 16th and on the 17th he say CL driving Maria's car.

--->>>Indeed, that hole took a lot of WORK for digging it. The video showing them removing her body was more than shallow!!!!!!!!! Way deeper than shallow. I have watched grave diggers using a MACHINE to dig, and even then it takes a while to get the job done.

I have been to two UNDERGROUND pig roasts in my lifetime, and I do believe that the intense heat and the coverings to allow oxygen for the burning coals could absent intense odor to a large extent. Coals for a pig roast are begun early and pig is roasted for hours and hours.

A third and fourth pig roast I attended was done on an above ground SPIT. We could all watch the pig as it turned. My 'inventive sil' and his friends made the spit. The spit is in turn passed around among friends for their own pig roasts.

There was great advance planning for this 'pit'. I would like to know WHEN the flower planting excuse was given, what day was that????? I do believe that this was a premeditated murder..

Some of my thoughts on this :

He had to have dug the hole deep enough to completely cover Maria's body and so that it wouldn't attract scavengers, also it had to be deep enough to burn and roast enough to cover up the smell so no neighbors would notice. How hard is that to do during December ? Wouldn't the ground be very hard ? And who landscapes in Dec. anyway ?!!! ??

What I find extremely hard to believe is that none of the BBQ guests smelled or noticed anything out of the ordinary the night of the party. I keep thinking as Nancy Grace stated, that this was a celebration of sorts ???? I dunno.

This case has been nerve-shattering for me. I think it, dream it and haven't slept much since last week. Yesterday and today I have had to force myself to get away for a few hours .

Some of my thoughts on this :

He had to have dug the hole deep enough to completely cover Maria's body and so that it wouldn't attract scavengers, also it had to be deep enough to burn and roast enough to cover up the smell so no neighbors would notice. How hard is that to do during December ? Wouldn't the ground be very hard ? And who landscapes in Dec. anyway ?!!! ??
According to the neighbor, there WERE scavengers. She reported seeing Vultures circling the firepit.

If he burned her at night, no one is out and about to smell anything. He didn't need to dig very deep and the weather has been pretty mild in NC, I believe. (My son is in Raleigh and that is what he told me.) No one landscapes in December unless they are planning a murder and a backyard BBQ for Xmas for their buddies.

You need to take a break if this is keeping you from normal sleep and routines. Sometimes we do get too wrapped up and have to walk away for our own sanity.

I'm working on memory here, but I thought the neighbor mentioned that the shovel was borrowed on the 16th and on the 17th he say CL driving Maria's car.

eye witnesses can make mistakes....at trial, they can be grilled enough to show that they aren't 100% positive of what they saw, & when they saw it.....

eye witnesses can make mistakes....at trial, they can be grilled enough to show that they aren't 100% positive of what they saw, & when they saw it.....

Absolutely ... I wonder if the neighbors dates are off on a number of things that they've reported. :bang:

Absolutely ... I wonder if the neighbors dates are off on a number of things that they've reported. :bang:

very well could be.....i know that one of the witnesses in the Laci Peterson case gave info, then found out it was incorrect until she found a receipt from where she'd been to a store...then she was able to give more accurate info to LE.....(the time was on the receipt as to when she left the store)

eta...LE was dealing with a very small timeframe on the morning of that Christmas Eve...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back