CA CA - Adam Hecht, 23, Beverly Hills, 7 June 1989

I recently wrote an in-depth article for my blog about Adam Hecht where I interviewed two of his brothers as well as spoke with the Beverly Hills PD about his case. If anyone is interested they can find it at www.lostnfoundblogs.com. In June it will be 30 years since he vanished will still no trace of him. :(
Great article Crystaldawn! I have always been interested in Adam’s case. Great to see a new write up. I feel so sad for his family. I hope if he walked away he knows it would be ok to reach out to them.
I still find his friend Tony a little suspicious though.

I actually heard about this case the other day while watching an old Dick Cavett interview with Robert Stack. I listened to the Trace Evidence podcast and read Crystal Dawn's blog entry.
-
I think the police blew this case by making some bad assumptions up front.
-
Apparently the car that was found was a rental car that Adam had acquired after taking his BMW in for repairs. The blog seems to have overlooked that point, but it could be significant. Taking a car to the shop and renting a replacement vehicle are not the actions of someone who was planning to walk away from his life.
-
The first bad assumption that LE made was to assume that Adam had been the one to leave the car where it was parked. I believe that Adam was most likely murdered, and I believe that the car was probably abandoned by whomever murdered Adam
-
The second mistake that LE made was to focus on the homeless community. Even though Adam had been involved with that community, there is no evidence that he was interacting with homeless people at the time he disappeared .LE should have taken a closer look at Adam's other connections (people to whom he taught tennis, etc.). Of course I'm suspicious of the guy who got Adam and his mother into some shady investments, but there may have been other possibilities as well.
-
Finally, I can't rule out suicide. Adam's burning of his hand qualifies as self harm, which would have been a risk factor for suicide.
-
Right now, I'm at 90% murder/10% foul play.

I actually heard about this case the other day while watching an old Dick Cavett interview with Robert Stack. I listened to the Trace Evidence podcast and read Crystal Dawn's blog entry.
-
I think the police blew this case by making some bad assumptions up front.
-
Apparently the car that was found was a rental car that Adam had acquired after taking his BMW in for repairs. The blog seems to have overlooked that point, but it could be significant. Taking a car to the shop and renting a replacement vehicle are not the actions of someone who was planning to walk away from his life.
-
The first bad assumption that LE made was to assume that Adam had been the one to leave the car where it was parked. I believe that Adam was most likely murdered, and I believe that the car was probably abandoned by whomever murdered Adam
-
The second mistake that LE made was to focus on the homeless community. Even though Adam had been involved with that community, there is no evidence that he was interacting with homeless people at the time he disappeared .LE should have taken a closer look at Adam's other connections (people to whom he taught tennis, etc.). Of course I'm suspicious of the guy who got Adam and his mother into some shady investments, but there may have been other possibilities as well.
-
Finally, I can't rule out suicide. Adam's burning of his hand qualifies as self harm, which would have been a risk factor for suicide.
-
Right now, I'm at 90% murder/10% foul play.
I meant to say 90% murder/10% suicide.

Just listened to the Trace Evidence podcast on Adam. I am not sure why the homeless man Adam took in was not investigated more. His entire disappearance is very strange. I think he is probably deceased. If he wanted to be a part of the homeless community, why would he do this to his mom and family and not at least tell her so she wouldn't worry.

Something I just realized; there has never been any mention of Adam having a girlfriend/girlfriends. Did he not date? It doesn't seem possible that girls weren't "after him". Twenty four years old, smart, very good looking, wealthy, eligible and possessing a seemingly good personality. It's like there was only Tony in his life and that doesn't seem realistic.

Just came across this case. My amateur opinion and speculation is that this was some sort of mental illness that does often first get recognized at the age the subject disappeared. I wonder if mental illness ran on either side of the family? (Usually the mothers). Again, just amateur opinion and speculation.

I think he disappeared voluntarily, and has likely been living on the rough all these years, unless deceased, unfound or unidentified. I don't think he would have ventured too far beyond metro L.A.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Has this John Doe been ruled out as AH yet? Height and weight are close enough but no mention of the burn scar on his hand.
He's a John Doe. Was just trying to get thoughts on whether they looked similar.

Just came across this case. My amateur opinion and speculation is that this was some sort of mental illness that does often first get recognized at the age the subject disappeared. I wonder if mental illness ran on either side of the family? (Usually the mothers). Again, just amateur opinion and speculation.

I think he disappeared voluntarily, and has likely been living on the rough all these years, unless deceased, unfound or unidentified. I don't think he would have ventured too far beyond metro L.A.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I was thinking schizophrenia as a possibility. But even if he was planning to walk away from his wealthy lifestyle, he would still need some money to get started and he left all his money in the car. It almost looks like someone with a grudge against AH may have harmed him, parked the car and left the money, wallet, etc. as a taunt.

The AH case is bizarre. Strange that this rich, wealthy kid would befriend a strange homeless guy to begin with. But, his subsequent disappearance is even stranger.

I honestly have no strong opinion either way on whether or not AH met with foul play, or just decided to "throw it all away" and leave his life of wealth & privilege behind.

I also don't have a strong opinion as to whether the homeless guy "Tony" (if that was his real name) had any connection to AH's disappearance. Going along with this, it makes perfect sense that Tony would stay in the apartment after Adam disappeared, since it was free room and board. But, that doesn't necessarily mean he had anything to do with Adam's going missing.

Just rewatched this on UM. How was Tony deemed not responsible? Who else would have had the mean, motive and opportunity? Tony manipulated Adam for food and shelter, got him involved in bizarre rituals, and tried to take over his life.
I wish there was more info about why and how he was cleared.

Also good job to Crystaldawn for having the first and only photo of Tony! That the public can see at least.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back