CA: Appeals Panel Overturns Prop 8's same-sex marriage ban

This may be a stupid question because I don't keep up with the politics in California like I did when I lived there, but didn't this come before the people in a vote and it was voted down?

It always scares me when the people vote for something and then the government overturns it, no matter what the issue.

Not a stupid question at all.

Kimster, the California legislature voted to legalize gay marriage several times, but since the matter was also pending before the courts, the governor vetoed the legislation. (True to his word, Schwartzenegger supported marriage equality once the court ruled in favor of it.)

In May of 2008, the California Supreme Court ruled that the state constitutions's equal protection clause mandated marriage equality. Gay marriages began in the state and 18,000 gay couples were married over the next six months.

In November of 2008, after an onslaught of very expensive TV commercials full of erroneous claims such as that churches would be forced to marry gay people, Prop 8 passed, banning gay marriage retroactively and in the future. The margin was 52% to 48%. Very narrow as you can see.

The vote was appealed to the California Supreme Court who then employed logic opposite to what it had said the previous year (suddenly "separate but equal" WAS equal) to uphold Prop 8 and ban gay marriage. EXCEPT that it ruled that no marriage could be annulled retroactively. Those of us who married during the 2008 "window" remain married.

Other lawyers took the matter to federal court in the 9th circuit, where the initial trial judge noted that opponents of gay marriage failed to show any harm it created. Prop 8 was ruled unconstitutional on federal grounds, basically on the ground that a majority can't vote to take rights away from a minority.

That ruling was then appealed to a 3-man panel in the 9th circuit court of appeals. They just ruled 2 to 1 in support of the lower court's decision. HOWEVER, they declined to rule on the issue of whether gays have a constitutional right to marry. Instead, they agreed that voters cannot target a minority and take away an existing constitutional right. Since gays in California had the right to marry in 2008, it was too late in November of that year to take the right away. As written, the ruling applies only to California (or another state in the same circuit, should the same events transpire in the future).

Next, opponents of gay marriage can either drop the matter (Ha!), appeal to the full court of appeals or appeal directly to the U.S. Supreme Court. In the latter event, the U.S. Supreme Court has the right to hear the case, decline to hear (and therefore leave marriage equality in effect), to "certify" the decision (which would make it precedent elsewhere) or not to certify it (which would leave it to apply only in the 9th circuit).

I'm not a lawyer, but I have discussed this at length with an appellate lawyer and this is my understanding. (BTW, she predicts the U.S. Supremes will not hear the case and will not certify it, allowing gay marriage in California but not forcing it elsewhere. We'll see.)

I understand your reluctance to have courts overturn the will of the voters. But our system has always been based on the idea that it is the function of the courts to protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority. That principle is very much at the heart of these court decisions.

ETA, Kimster, current polls show the public slightly in favor of marriage equality, so there has been a shift since the 2008 election. The matter may be back on the ballot in the future, but I don't know if a decision has been made about this year. Part of the calculation is whatever the courts are doing; part of it is also that supporters of marriage equality aren't going to want the matter on the ballot in a year when conservatives are motivated to vote in high numbers (an anti-Obama backlash, for example, should one materialize).

This may be a stupid question because I don't keep up with the politics in California like I did when I lived there, but didn't this come before the people in a vote and it was voted down?

It always scares me when the people vote for something and then the government overturns it, no matter what the issue.

Historically, the government/courts have been the vehicle by which minority rights are granted. Here's a link about voting rights http://www.crmvet.org/info/votehist.htm that is basically a timeline of the struggle for women and people of color to get the right to vote. A few states passed laws allowing voting for minorities, but it wasn't until the courts got involved that more people than just white men were allowed to vote. I think if we had waited for the popular vote on this and other historic minority issues, there would have been many more decades of inequality. (I'm not as eloquent as Nova, but I wanted to point out other issues that the courts decided.)

And the rest of this is just a general comment, all my opinion, all of which everyone is free to heartily (but politely, because this is WS after all) disagree with...

Gay marriage is controversial, because its so tied up in religion, when what is being sought by many gay couples is equal legal footing. I think the word 'marriage' muddies up the debate because it is used for both a legal contract and a religious ceremony. Personally, I don't want to go into anyone's church and stand on their altar and get married in the eyes of their religion. If your faith or church frowns upon me, that's fine by me, as long as it doesn't extend to denying me legal rights.

But I do want to be able to have the same legal rights as a married couple without having to pay a lawyer to write up a bunch of contracts that only approximate the same rights afforded by marriage - and even then, I'm still unable to share health insurance with my partner, hold title to our house as a married couple, visit her in the hospital in some states, file joint tax returns, and so on. There is this huge long list of legal rights you get by being able to marry - some of them I'm totally excluded from and others I can kind of/sort of/maybe get an attorney to write up contracts that might/kind of/sort of/maybe actually hold up in a court.

Sure, I could have the civil rights afforded by legal marriage by not being gay, but, I tried not being gay and that didn't work. :)

I think the REAL solution is to get marriage out of the hands of government. EVERYONE should get a license for a civil union that basically outlines whatever tax breaks, inheritance rights, etc. that traditionally married couples have enjoyed.

The if you want to be "married" go to the church and get the certificate; have your wedding and make your covenant with God witnessed by your loved ones. That was what marriage used to be. Now it's all wrapped up in taxes and community property laws and on and on. Let's leave the binding contracts in the civil union category and the covenants of the vows to the spiritual realm of marriage.

Wouldn't that be fair?

Ziggy I would be absolutely and totally happy with that - the government part gets called 'civil union' for everyone, and the church gets to call the religious ceremony 'marriage' and decide who they marry.

My friends, straight, gay, conservative, and liberal have been saying this for ages!

Lydia, you lack nothing in terms of eloquence. Thanks for helping to complete the picture.

Great! Then how come all the smart a holes we elect can't figure this out??? It seems like the most simple thing in the world. I am a conservative, but I don't want the government in my bedroom or yours. We should all be free to enter into contracts and becoming a civil union or a marriage is a contract for legal purposes. The government should get OUT OUT OUT of giving "married" people tax breaks; the contract should be for inheritance, property and other rights.

I get super mad at gay people who insist it has to be called marriage in order for them to be treated equally. It's so much about the word, let's just reserve the word marriage to traditional religious institutions. Then marriage could still be between a man and a woman in the eyes of their God. Gay people would have to settle for some other religious term but all would be equal under the laws.

I think the REAL solution is to get marriage out of the hands of government. EVERYONE should get a license for a civil union that basically outlines whatever tax breaks, inheritance rights, etc. that traditionally married couples have enjoyed.

The if you want to be "married" go to the church and get the certificate; have your wedding and make your covenant with God witnessed by your loved ones. That was what marriage used to be. Now it's all wrapped up in taxes and community property laws and on and on. Let's leave the binding contracts in the civil union category and the covenants of the vows to the spiritual realm of marriage.

Wouldn't that be fair?

ziggy, I'd have no problem with that.

But frankly I think you'll be swimming upstream in terms of getting the majority of people to accept such a system. It's actually a far more radical change than gay marriage (which, as the courts keep pointing out, doesn't really affect anyone but the parties involved).

And what difference would it make, really? In the end, you'd still have gay marriages, since there are religious denominations that are happy to marry gay people. So why not just have full marriage equality with the system we have now?

Great! Then how come all the smart a holes we elect can't figure this out??? It seems like the most simple thing in the world. I am a conservative, but I don't want the government in my bedroom or yours. We should all be free to enter into contracts and becoming a civil union or a marriage is a contract for legal purposes. The government should get OUT OUT OUT of giving "married" people tax breaks; the contract should be for inheritance, property and other rights.

I get super mad at gay people who insist it has to be called marriage in order for them to be treated equally. It's so much about the word, let's just reserve the word marriage to traditional religious institutions. Then marriage could still be between a man and a woman in the eyes of their God. Gay people would have to settle for some other religious term but all would be equal under the laws.

Why are you "super mad", ziggy? How does it even affect you?

For what it's worth, several "traditional religious institutions" (including the Episcopal Church, one of the oldest in this country) already recognize and perform gay marriages. Gay people do not "have to settle for some other religious term", not even in states where marriage equality has no legal validity.

Thank you all for your well thought out answers to my question. However, my concern remains.

When an issue is brought before the voters and then the decision is overruled by government, the people no longer govern the country.

Thank you all for your well thought out answers to my question. However, my concern remains.

When an issue is brought before the voters and then the decision is overruled by government, the people no longer govern the country.

With respect, Kimster, absolute "majority rule" is quite literally un-American. It has never been our system.

And to take but one example, black people would still be unable to vote in at least 11 states if "majority rule" were our only guide.

I will even go so far as to speculate that the United States of America would have disintegrated years ago were it not for our system of majority rule tempered by respect for minority rights. Are you and ziggy just as concerned that a resident of Wyoming's vote for senator has many times more value than my vote in California? Because that's another example of our system's attempt to head off mob rule and strike a balance between the majority and minorities.

But in terms of your concern that "the people no longer govern the country", the people of the United States, by ratifying our Constitution and electing officials who appoint judges, have in fact agreed to be limited in terms of what we can dictate with a majority vote. In this way, a court ruling is just as much an expression of the will of the people as an election.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeTarot
Back