GUILTY CA - AW, 16, Kernville, 11 June 2015

I realize I run the risk of being stoned to death on this one (and possibly don't have all the facts) but I just don't think this case is so horrible. The girl was 16, apparently having problems with her homelife, had similar interests in horses and packing as did Max, entered into a realtionship with him that included sex, and decided to run "away" with him. I haven't seen anything saying she went with him against her will. If she were 17, wouldn't it be legal? It's conceivable they both have a great (many might say foolish) sense of adventure and romance. He doesn't come across as a beast to me. Not every older man with a much younger girl is a beast.
My friend's daughter met a man 32 years her senior when she was just 17....a very independent 17. At the time I was horrified, but now she is 36 and married to him almost 20 years. They had no children but have a good life with their shared hobbies and travel. The downside to me is she's stuck with an old man now.
Maybe this Max is a perv, but in the absence of that proof I just think it's much ado about very little, absent the legal technicalities.
Our first love is typically a passionate, deep one. Many of us hold on to a glimmer of it for our entire lives. But, there's a reason why most of us don't end up with that person. If you raised your very own daughter from a baby girl to 16, then some guy old enough to be her "old dad" whisked her away on some romantic fantasy, hiding from you because he KNOWS it's wrong, would it be okay then? Do you believe your 16 year old has enough life experience to make such a heavy decision as this? Can she weigh the difference between lust, crush, fantasy and puppy love, then make educated decisions about her long term future at 16? Do you believe your daughter is experienced enough to detect she's being groomed?

Please also factor in this same guy is living under a false identity. Know one yet knows why. Is it still okay with you that your daughter was lured away by this guy?

We each have a right to our own opinion, and we'll respect yours. However, he broke the law. The law is in place for a reason.

K

I realize I run the risk of being stoned to death on this one (and possibly don't have all the facts) but I just don't think this case is so horrible. The girl was 16, apparently having problems with her homelife, had similar interests in horses and packing as did Max, entered into a realtionship with him that included sex, and decided to run "away" with him. I haven't seen anything saying she went with him against her will. If she were 17, wouldn't it be legal? It's conceivable they both have a great (many might say foolish) sense of adventure and romance. He doesn't come across as a beast to me. Not every older man with a much younger girl is a beast.
My friend's daughter met a man 32 years her senior when she was just 17....a very independent 17. At the time I was horrified, but now she is 36 and married to him almost 20 years. They had no children but have a good life with their shared hobbies and travel. The downside to me is she's stuck with an old man now.
Maybe this Max is a perv, but in the absence of that proof I just think it's much ado about very little, absent the legal technicalities.

Both of my grandmothers married a man 10+ years their senior.

However, this isn't the 1940s anymore. What used to be more accepted (young women 16-18 years old marrying much older men) is not at all.....that's why there are LAWS in place to prevent these types of things from happening. What you are describing is still not right. If they're in love then they need to wait until she's LEGALLY old enough to make those decisions.

@ GigTu and CD82,
I ended my last comment by saying "absent the legalities". I understand they broke the law whose spirit is to protect the young and innocent. The letter of the law often is not the spirit of the law. The parents' angst resonates with me. So does their daughter's. I was exploring this story from another, non-legal angle. It has a romantic outlaw/misfit/rebel theme that appeals to me.

Omg I have been away from WS for a while and had heard nothing about this. Popping over there now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back