CA - Backpage founders Michael Lacey and James Larkin (found dead 2023), charged with facilitating prostitution, Oct 2016 *retrial 2023*

Jim Larkin, the co-founder of the Phoenix New Times and the infamous classified ads site Backpage.com, died by suicide this week, just days ahead of his federal trial.

Larkin, 74, was found dead of a gunshot Monday about an hour outside of his home in Paradise Valley, Arizona, local police told the New Times. The authorities said foul play was not suspected

Larkin was set to stand trial starting next week on charges related to his ownership of Backpage, a classified advertising website that hosted a large number of ads for prostitution.

The trial of the other Backpage executives will continue as scheduled, U.S. District Judge Diane Humetewa said. The parties were scheduled to meet Friday to discuss dismissing the indictment against Larkin.

In a motion filed under seal Wednesday, defense attorneys asked for a two-month delay, which prosecutors opposed. "I'm willing to entertain a trial date of Aug. 29, and I think that's as far as I can go," Humetewa said Friday. By the end of the hearing, it was settled: The trial will begin Aug. 29 and is slated to end by Nov. 9.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back