GUILTY Ca - Becky Friedli, 18, Vicki, 53, & Jon Hayward, 55, Slain, Palm Desert, 17 Sep 2006

K - found the next court date:

Both defendants were denied bond. An informational hearing is scheduled for Nov. 15. A trial is expected to begin within four months to a year.

Marking my calendar...

I knew the family and Becky was at my house the whole day before and I have NEVER been questioned! Not that I have any information. It is my opinion that because her "friend" whose cell phone DID ping that day is the son of a Congress woman, and Roberts career this was handled all wrong from the get go! Will look for more relevant information and ask our local news station for updates. I truly wish this would be solved and everyone gets justice. Becky was the most caring and loving, happy young lady just accepted into nursing program. I am new to this so please... Feel free to help direct me in anyway I can help!

:bump:

finally found an article for a pre-trial hearing for these two....

http://idyllwildtowncrier.com/2017/01/19/pre-trial-conference-next-step-pinyon-homicides-case/

A trial readiness conference has been set for Robert Pape, 28, and Cristin Conrad Smith, 28, two men charged with a 2006 triple homicide in Pinyon. In late October, Riverside County Superior Court Judge Bernard Schwartz ruled there was sufficient evidence to try Pape and his co-defendant Smith.The trial readiness conference is scheduled for Feb. 24.

See you back here then!

Okay - I did find this:

In Pinyon Pines Murder Wiretap records 900+ calls
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2017/03/28/pinyon-pines-murder-wiretap/99550638/

from March 28, 2017

Pape and Smith were wiretapped in the summer in 2012 as investigators were attempting to revive the unsolved cold case. Although the eavesdropping occurred five years ago, the wiretaps remained sealed for years and were only recently disclosed in court.
[.....]
The Pinyon Pines wiretaps were revealed in a court motion filed by Smith’s attorney, Jon Patrick Dolan, who claims law enforcement did not have enough justification to intercept calls or search Smith’s home.
In the motion, Dolan argues that investigators cherry-picked evidence when asking a judge to approve both the wiretaps and the search warrant, and therefore any evidence that came from the search or calls should be tossed out.
Dolan said his motion is preemptive because it is unclear how important the wiretaps or warrant are to the prosecution’s case.
[....]
The newly filed court motions also unveil a second piece of previously unknown evidence in the case, although it’s unclear if prosecutors will use it in court.
According to Dolan’s motion, detectives attempted to re-interview Smith in May 2012, but he refused to answer any questions. The investigators then left Smith alone in an interview room – where he was still being recorded – while they waited for his transportation to arrive. Smith then uttered some “potentially incriminating words" that were caught on tape, although court documents don't say what he actually said.

Unfortunately, this is the last update that I can find - and it doesn't mention "when" the next court hearing is.... I hate when they do that!! I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything else.

Okay - found another news article

Defense for Pinyon homicide defendants challenges legality of search and wiretaps

http://idyllwildtowncrier.com/2017/04/04/defense-for-pinyon-homicide-defendant-
challenges-legality-of-search-and-wiretaps/

from April 4, 2017

John Patrick Dolan, Smith’s attorney, has filed extensive motions to quash warrants, suppress evidence and dismiss charges against Smith. These motions were filed last month in preparation for the April 28 trial readiness conference.

So - looks like next hearing April 28th

Wondering if anyone knows what's going on with this case. I've searched and can't find anything "new" on this.

TIA! :wave:

Well - found some updates....

Found an August, 2017 article:

Pinyon homicide defendant seeks trial in juvenile court
http://idyllwildtowncrier.com/2017/08/31/pinyon-homicide-defendant-seeks-trial-juvenile-court/

At the Aug. 18 hearing, the attorney for Cristin Conrad Smith, one of two defendants in the 2006 triple homicide in Pinyon Pines, filed a motion to move his trial in Riverside County Superior Court to juvenile court.

Smith was a juvenile when the murders occurred. His lawyer, John Dolan of Indio, argued that the request is consistent with Proposition 57, the Public Safety and Rehabilitation Act of 2016, which was approved last November.
[.....]
As of Aug. 28, a date for the fitness hearing had not been set; however, a hearing on the motion and the fitness report is schedule for Oct. 20.
[.....]
In April, Dolan challenged affidavits used by the Sheriff’s Department to search Smith’s home in 2007 and to wire tap his cell phone in 2012. This was the basis for a motion to suppress evidence gathered by investigators that led to Smith’s arrest. Based on his review of the motions, objections and case law, Schwartz denied the full motion.

The judge also denied the effort to move Smith’s trial to a different venue.

Haven't been able to find anything on Pape's next hearing.

Niner
you have provided great links with which to follow, the news article seems well written, and following the facts. Thanks

From link
The law “requires that a judge, not prosecutor, must decide whether juveniles should be tried in adult court,” Dolan said in the motion to the court.

Smith was about five weeks from his 18th birthday when the murders occurred.

Well worth a read of full article imo

Smith was 5 weeks from 18....putting him in Juvie would be potentially giving him a shot at a top dog status there?

Christin d.o.b is 5/16/1988 makes him 4 month past junior juvenile status,one piece of luck

:tyou: StarrChance! These poor people - are they ever going to get Justice!!??!! This happened in 2006!!

Anything on Cristin's hearing last Friday (Oct. 20th)?? Can't seem to find anything.

TIA!

Okay - I found this case on my list - and here's what I have - I don't recall WHY I didn't post it here.... :dunno:

Friday, January 5th:
*Trial Readiness Conference Hearing - CA - Rebecca 'Becky' Annaleigh Friedli (18), Vicki Friedli (53) & Jon Hayward (55) (Mom's BF) (Sept. 17, 2006) - Cristin Conrad Smith (27/17 @ time of crime) faces LWOP (juvenile @ time of crime) accused/charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders. Robert Lars Pape (28/18 @ time of crime) (ex-BF) also charged with 3 count of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders; faces the LWOP. Hearing for Cristin to seek trial in juvenile court.
**Both arrested in March, 2014, but case was dismissed in October, 2014; re-arrested in June, 2016; prelim hearings held 10/24/16, 11/15/16, 2/24/17 & 4/28/17.
Motions hearing held 11/3: Trial is set for Jan. 22, 2018 with a Trial Readiness Conf. Hearing on Jan. 5, 2018; Maximum sentence will be LWOP

correction - trial is set for BOTH of them! Article in next post.

:bump: for today's hearing:

Friday, January 5th:
*Trial Readiness Conference Hearing - CA - Rebecca 'Becky' Annaleigh Friedli (18), Vicki Friedli (53) & Jon Hayward (55) (Mom's BF) (Sept. 17, 2006) - Cristin Conrad Smith (27/17 @ time of crime) faces LWOP (juvenile @ time of crime) accused/charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders. And Robert Lars Pape (28/18 @ time of crime) (ex-BF) charged with same counts & faces the LWOP. **Both arrested in March, 2014, but case was dismissed in October, 2014; re-arrested in June, 2016; prelim hearings held 10/24/16, 11/15/16, 2/24/17 & 4/28/17.
Trial is set for Jan. 22, 2018.

Thank you Niner for your persistence in updating this case!

Hopefully the trial will now go forward without any further delays. It's been too long ....

I would like to know what the motive for the killings was. They had an argument, but about what? And why kill the mother and mother's bf too if they were angry with Becky?

Anyone find any updates on what happened in court? I know the trial is supposed to start on 1/22. Hopefully it's still a GO!

:judge:

I have the trial starting today - not too sure though! :dunno:

Monday, January 22nd:
*Trial set to begin - CA - Rebecca 'Becky' Annaleigh Friedli (18), Vicki Friedli (53) & Jon Hayward (55) (Mom's BF) (Sept. 17, 2006) - Cristin Conrad Smith (27/17 @ time of crime) faces LWOP (juvenile @ time of crime) accused/charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders. And Robert Lars Pape (28/18 @ time of crime) (ex-BF) charged with same counts & faces the LWOP. **Both arrested in March, 2014, but case was dismissed in October, 2014

:bump:

anyone hear anything on this one? In Europe, so blocked on results.... :gaah:

I googled "Cristin Conrad Smith Trial Verdict", but only came up with articles from 2016 & 2017. :dunno:

Same here Niner, I found nothing recent. Very odd.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back