CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
TY CA_Exile. I thought perhaps if Bob had started to lose his hearing it might make sense if someone had to speak louder to him perhaps that would make sense for the daughter to hear her BIL, but that doesn't seem to be the case here with Bobs hearing. I'm really unsure how she could have heard clearly what her BIL was saying while she was not on the phone with him. JMO

The only time I can recall hearing someone clearly in the background was a friends husband and they were speaking in raised voices. That is the only time... JMO

Fairy, (eeps), I am making my dad older than he is, he is only 69, lol. He was borderline and declined the hearing aids at the time because he didn't want to pay the 6 grand or whatever it was for 2 hearing aids. He did say if his hearing got worse he would get them later....:) Dads can be stubborn sometimes... but we love them anyway.

CA Exile - you - and Cubby! - are just what we needed to bring this thread back to life. There's been so little activity and long periods of nothing. I'm certain we're all thrilled to have you here!

Can you tell us the birth order of the daughters? I was under the impression Julie is the oldest. Is that not the case?

P is the oldest, next is R and J is the youngest.

If I'm not mistaken, Dolly recently spoke to the mayor of Placentia. I felt the response she got was very sympathetic, but not overly concerned or interested.

It seems to be a reflection of how little our society cares for our elderly.

At the beginning of the investigation I contacted Sgt Millsap of the Placentia PD because I was concerned regarding a hairdresser and her husband that lived in the apt complex where my parents lived. They were seedy characters..Always asking for money. They sent out letters one weekend asking for$1000.00 due to being on hard times..They moved out to the desert claiming they got an unexpected inheritance from an uncle. I was VERY suspicious so I called the PPD..Sgt. Millsap acted like he couldnt have cared less. All he would say was "No, that's not the same hairdresser". I tried calling Det Loomis about searching the junkyard/fruit stand at Kraemer and Morse and she never returned my call. And yes, I called on the Mayor using my family friend card and all he would tell me was that the PPD doesnt share any of their cases and investigations with his office. I also contacted Adam Townsend who did the orig story in the OC Register and he said he was not the Placentia reporter anymore but would contact Jessica Terrell who now does the Placentia area for a follow up story. It would be nice if Jessica's follow up was from the PPD's point of view and where they let Bob down!

Unfortunately, I have nothing helpful to add here except my thanks that this thread has been revived. It is one that I have followed. Sad but true, but the elderly are not valued in our society, it seems. That seems to include much of the medical profession too, but that is another subject.

Still praying for all the missing.

I will share, FWIW..... this thread had become dormant. At the end of June, I think, I decided for some reason one morning to go through cases approaching their one year anniversary. Bobs caught my eye because there were several hundred posts and then nothing for a few months. So I decided to take a look, bump the thread and see if we could generate some new life in the case.

I'm glad I did and glad to see there is still a great deal of interest in Bobs case and glad you found us here at WS CA_Exile

jmo
Cubby
I'm glad you did that since I didn't really follow Bob's disappearance last year but have been intently reading what his friend has posted here the past few days. Bob seemed like a very nice man who was very happy when he went missing. From what I've read about him, I don't believe he just took off, never intending to come back home. :cry:

Unfortunately, I have nothing helpful to add here except my thanks that this thread has been revived. It is one that I have followed. Sad but true, but the elderly are not valued in our society, it seems. That seems to include much of the medical profession too, but that is another subject.

Still praying for all the missing.

Opie...I so agree with you.

At the beginning of the investigation I contacted Sgt Millsap of the Placentia PD because I was concerned regarding a hairdresser and her husband that lived in the apt complex where my parents lived. They were seedy characters..Always asking for money. They sent out letters one weekend asking for$1000.00 due to being on hard times..They moved out to the desert claiming they got an unexpected inheritance from an uncle. I was VERY suspicious so I called the PPD..Sgt. Millsap acted like he couldnt have cared less. All he would say was "No, that's not the same hairdresser". I tried calling Det Loomis about searching the junkyard/fruit stand at Kraemer and Morse and she never returned my call. And yes, I called on the Mayor using my family friend card and all he would tell me was that the PPD doesnt share any of their cases and investigations with his office. I also contacted Adam Townsend who did the orig story in the OC Register and he said he was not the Placentia reporter anymore but would contact Jessica Terrell who now does the Placentia area for a follow up story. It would be nice if Jessica's follow up was from the PPD's point of view and where they let Bob down!

Dolly, now that CA Exile is posting you can post the hairdressers initials you were concerned with and we can see if they were the same hairdreser or not.

I've noticed with LE sometimes you have to keep calling. It took me 4 months to submit a tip here in my county. And that was even after not reaching county and having my local city LE send my tip themself to county. County still did not have the tip months later.... and I know for a fact my local LE sent it because he cc'd me on the email.

Sometimes you just gotta persist. We can persist for Bob!

Dolly, now that CA Exile is posting you can post the hairdressers initials you were concerned with and we can see if they were the same hairdreser or not.

I've noticed with LE sometimes you have to keep calling. It took me 4 months to submit a tip here in my county. And that was even after not reaching county and having my local city LE send my tip themself to county. County still did not have the tip months later.... and I know for a fact my local LE sent it because he cc'd me on the email.

Sometimes you just gotta persist. We can persist for Bob!

OK..Her initials are S.O. and her husbands first name started with an L. They were heavy gamblers too..Another red flag in my book.

I too had given up on productive sleuthing on this thread and am pleased to finally see intellegent sleuthing going on, with the help of someone who actually knew this man, family, and friends.
My own opinion of the reliability of media information and lack of police voice in months made it increasingly difficult to take interest in what was being posted for awhile. Posting kept going in circles in constant repetition and lack of consideration of more than one theory. This is truly a mystery case.
Ca Exile, I cannot take credit but seem to recall someone else referring to your blog and just referred to you as the blogging neighbor. I can't remember who it was. Thanks anyway.

Bob's Charley Project page:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/harrod_robert.html

The timeline at Charley project seems to be different than the timeline we have here. CP is reporting last time seen between noon and 1pm.

CP is listing Bobs wt at 140 to 170 lbs. That is quite a range. CA Exile can you give us a better estimate at his weight? This would be good to know if anyone is checking for John Does.

Has there been any foot searches for Bob?
Official or unofficial?

tia

Bob's Charley Project page:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/harrod_robert.html

The timeline at Charley project seems to be different than the timeline we have here. CP is reporting last time seen between noon and 1pm.

CP is listing Bobs wt at 140 to 170 lbs. That is quite a range. CA Exile can you give us a better estimate at his weight? This would be good to know if anyone is checking for John Does.

Has there been any foot searches for Bob?
Official or unofficial?

tia

I recall a number of different timelines ranging all over the place. Physical description was inconsistent too. What I remember most is that it was said his eye color was listed wrong the missing flyer.

First post about Paul on 06-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Posted bycloudajo

"Interesting blog post on June 1 (which was Bob’s 82nd birthday) from a man who lived across from Bob in Placentia for several years and was his friend. He last spoke to Bob on July 19, 2009. That was the day before he left California to move to Virginia. He gives interesting insight. He says he was never contacted by LE about Bob or his state of mind.

More at link: http://paulkestes.blogspot.com/2010/06/today-would-have-been-bob-harrods.html

Also, it appears from court records that in June, the 2 daughters were appointed trustees and conservators of the estate.

https://ocapps.occourts.org/ProbPubv2/Home.do "

I can understand a new bride wondering where her new husband is, even if it's only been 6 days of wedded bliss but what I can't understand now is an accusation about a grandson that was close to his grandfather that may have exploded???

No. The SIL (the father of Bob’s grandson) - the last known person to have seen Bob alive.

A few ways Mr. Harrod can be found.

1.) A hunter, hiker etc. will someday find Mr. Harrod's remains.

2.) The person responsible for Mr. Harrod's disappearance will confess and tell where Mr. Harrod is.

3.) Everyone involved should be polygraphed. Those who refuse or fail the polygraph should be pressured and scrutinized.

4.) Pressure needs to be put on LE. LE needs to know that there are people that care what happened to an elderly gentleman. Mr. Harrod's story needs publicity.

When you have nothing to hide, you hide nothing.

Bob's NamUs link.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2706/0/

Wt. is listed at 160-170 error. Charley must be an error on the 140.
The NamUs case report reads like it was his daughter who entered the info into NamUs.

Yes, thanks.

From the "Case Information" tab

Date LKA (Last Known Alive): July 27, 2009 - 12:00

From the "Circumstances" tab.

He was at home and seemed in good spirits when I last spoke to him somewhere between 11 a.m. - 12pm. His son-in-law was there doing odd jobs as Dads new wife was returning from Missouri on Wed. 7/29/09. Heard son-in-law say he was going to the hardware store. When he returned the housekeeper was waiting outside and Dad was gone. He did NOT take his car, but did have his keys and wallet. No contact or word has been heard from since.

I too had given up on productive sleuthing on this thread and am pleased to finally see intellegent sleuthing going on, with the help of someone who actually knew this man, family, and friends.
My own opinion of the reliability of media information and lack of police voice in months made it increasingly difficult to take interest in what was being posted for awhile. Posting kept going in circles in constant repetition and lack of consideration of more than one theory. This is truly a mystery case.
Ca Exile, I cannot take credit but seem to recall someone else referring to your blog and just referred to you as the blogging neighbor. I can't remember who it was. Thanks anyway.

On Websleuths posters are allowed to give their opinions and speculate about what may have happened to a missing and/or murdered person.

If the evidence leads some to speculate on certain people in a case then they will post about it. At least that keeps the thread active.

The main goal for everyone is to find out what happened to Mr. Harrod.

Yes, thanks.

From the "Case Information" tab

Date LKA (Last Known Alive): July 27, 2009 - 12:00

From the "Circumstances" tab.

He was at home and seemed in good spirits when I last spoke to him somewhere between 11 a.m. - 12pm. His son-in-law was there doing odd jobs as Dads new wife was returning from Missouri on Wed. 7/29/09. Heard son-in-law say he was going to the hardware store. When he returned the housekeeper was waiting outside and Dad was gone. He did NOT take his car, but did have his keys and wallet. No contact or word has been heard from since.

That's exactly what I meant, each place you can go to to read up on this story has times all over the clock, making it harder to pinpoint one timeline.

I would imagine and hope the police have that all figured out by now, at the very least.

On Websleuths posters are allowed to give their opinions and speculate about what may have happened to a missing and/or murdered person.

If the evidence leads some to speculate on certain people in a case then they will post about it. At least that keeps the thread active.

The main goal for everyone is to find out what happened to Mr. Harrod.

But, IMHO, without any new clues coming from seemingly reliable sources and so little speculation of alternate theories, it did not seem to go anywhere closer to a common goal for many months. There was an awful lot of focus on subsequent financial legal wranglings than when the actual man went missing. That got frusterating and made WS harder to stay interested in and read, kind of like being trapped watching the movie "Groundhog Day" over and over, etc.

Some may have more patience than I when it comes to "watching paint dry".
IMHO

DollyPardonMe: I am not sure we are talking about the same barber. Her name starts with a J. But, she may have a first or middle name S and last name O. I don't know her last name and really never bothered to care. I only know her name, where her shop is, and what type of vehicle she drives.

I am terrible at guessing weight, just ask my wife. Anyway, Bob was just over six feet tall. He was very thin. He lost a lot of weight in the past couple of years taking care of Georgia and then Sassy. I guess he was probably about 160-170. I don't think 140 would be accurate. I don't know his eye color. I never really thought about it. You have probably seen his picture in various stories. He was balding with a little hair still on the sides and back. He always wore a hat outside. He had a bunch of them next to the front door. He ALWAYS wore his glasses. That was the first clue for me. He could not see without them. He mostly wore white pants and a pastel, pullover top. He had a plaid shirt he would wear sometimes. He walked very slow. He would walk around the neighborhood a couple of times a day and then once after about ten or so at night. I remember him calling me several times to tell me my garage door was still open when I had forgotten to close it.

The Placentia PD: The only time I ever saw a police car was going to and from city hall or writing tickets in Anaheim. We were having a problem with people taking our street as a bypass and speeding. We complained to the police. They did next to nothing. They said they could not spare the resources. I asked why, are they all too busy writing traffic tickets in Anaheim? There was one time I saw a bunch of them. There was a fender bender at an intersection near my house one Saturday morning. It was nothing big. Two cars hit. There did not appear to be any injuries and they were hooking up the cars to tow them away when I was there. But, there were seven police cars at that intersection. I did not know we even had seven police cars in Placentia. It looked like the entire force had shown up to assist in this accident. So, please excuse me if I do not have a lot of faith in the Placentia PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther