CA - Boeing 777 from S. Korea Crashes at San Francisco SFO

You'd think you'd still check your airspeed even on auto throttle. They didn't try to pick up speed until 3 seconds before crashing. They knew much earlier than then that the plan was too low and had a throttle stick shack sign saying it was too slow also. There seems to be no excuse, I have no idea how they would mess up like this unless they weren't paying attention or alcohol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For whatever reason, they just weren't paying attention for a very long period of time. It's inexcusable, gross negligence.

The pilot at the helm of the Asiana Airlines flight told investigators he saw a flash of light while trying to land the plane and was temporarily blinded, National Transportation Safety Board Chairwoman Debbie Hersman said on Wednesday.
Lee Gang-guk, the pilot who was landing the Boeing 777 for the first time at San Francisco International Airport, told both NTSB and Korean investigators the plane was at an altitude of about 500 feet when he saw the flash, or about 34 seconds away from the runway, according to the NTSB timeline.

“We really don’t know what it could’ve been,” Hersman said when asked if the flash could’ve been a laser of some type.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...light-during-landing-93995.html#ixzz2YhTnPKdU

Asiana passengers begged 911 dispatchers for help

MARTHA MENDOZA, AP
1 hour ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Stunned and bleeding after a Boeing 777 crashed-landed at San Francisco International Airport, hundreds of passengers staggered across the debris-strewn tarmac, some trying to help the critically injured, others desperately calling 911 and begging for more ambulances as dire minutes ticked away.

"There's not enough medics out here," a caller told a dispatcher in a 911 call released by the California Highway Patrol. "There is a woman out here on the street, on the runway, who is pretty much burned very severely on the head and we don't know what to do."

Two people died and 180 of the 307 passengers were hurt when Asiana Airlines Flight 214 slammed tail-first into a seawall Saturday at the end of the runway. The impact ripped off the back of the plane and tossed three flight attendants and their seats onto the runway...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130711/US--San.Francisco.Airliner.Crash/

I know some of the injured were critical, but I am encouraged that the death toll hasn't gone up.

Report: Police say fire truck hit Asiana crash victim

Runway should reopen Sunday

Author: By Ed Payne CNN

Published On: Jul 12 2013 02:10:14 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 12 2013 01:30:35 PM EDT

(CNN) -
Police say a fire truck hit one of the Chinese teenagers who was killed after the Asiana Airlines crash but it's unclear if that is what killed her, The Associated Press reported...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ctim/-/1719418/20948024/-/14s450/-/index.html

NewsBreaker ‏@NewsBreaker 3m BREAKING: Third victim of #Asiana214 plane crash at San Francisco airport has died, SF General hospital officials say - @SFGate

NBC News ‏@NBCNews 3m Third victim in Asiana Flight 214 crash has died @NBCBayArea

The first 2 fatality's were children as well.

What I don't get, is if the one girl was hit while under an inflatable slide... why did the truck run over the slide? Wouldn't you try to avoid running over it?

The first 2 fatality's were children as well.

What I don't get, is if the one girl was hit while under an inflatable slide... why did the truck run over the slide? Wouldn't you try to avoid running over it?

They're now reporting that the firetruck a were spraying foam on be airplane to control the fire and foam was on the ground. The foam was higher than her laying there so they did not see her. I don't know if she was under the inflatable slide or near it since I have seen differing reports. The firemen only saw her because of the tracks the tire made through he foam and she was there. They were trying to get as close to the plane as they could to get a good aim inside of the fuselage. I can not imagine how horrible these guys feel. Even if they did not kill her and she was already dead. I know many firefighters and they have such strong emotions for people they are trying to help. My dad is a firefighter and I know he would probably need therapy if he did something like that.

And so sad another victim has died today. Has there been any reports on how many are still critical?

SF station KTVU has apologized for "naming the pilots" (someone should lose their job; check the internet if anyone wants to see the "names") in either a real SNAFU or a hoax of some sort today.

SF station KTVU has apologized for "naming the pilots" (someone should lose their job; check the internet if anyone wants to see the "names") in either a real SNAFU or a hoax of some sort today.

That was bad. I thought it was a joke. I can't believe the station let that happen.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

O.......M.......G @ the KTVU screw up. How horrible and extremely, EXTREMELY unprofessional. :| Heads should roll...

(From Deadspin) Update: The NTSB has released a statement, confirming that an intern confirmed the names of the flight crew to KTVU.

The National Transportation Safety Board apologizes for inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed as those of the pilots of Asiana flight 214, which crashed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6.

Earlier today, in response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft.

The NTSB does not release or confirm the names of crewmembers or people involved in transportation accidents to the media. We work hard to ensure that only appropriate factual information regarding an investigation is released and deeply regret today's incident.

Appropriate actions will be taken to ensure that such a serious error is not repeated.

It is all over twitter that it was a summer intern with the NTSB that sent out the names. *SMH*

Yeah, and you would think somebody would have recognized that "Ho Lee
*advertiser censored*" is a made up name.

You've got to be kidding me. Don't they have editors? An intern can put stuff up without verification or redaction first?

I'm ashamed of myself for laughing at this because it's such a tragedy. However, the fact that it got past the news editor, the guy who types in the prompter, the guy who does the on air graphic and the news reader is funny in the ridiculous sense. It's one of those; Are you :censored: kidding me moments. :banghead:

The news reader didn't find anything wrong while reading the names?!

http://gawker.com/ktvu-reports-asiana-air-pilots-were-sum-ting-wong-and-759185714

'Oh ****': Moment TV producer realized bungling reporters had been duped into reporting false and racist names for the Asiana crash pilots"

"A producer at the humiliated San Francisco TV station which published a series of fake and racially offensive names supposedly of the pilots on-board the crashed Asiana 214 flight, captured the moment he realized their mistake tweeting simply ‘oh ***t’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eets-moment-realises-error.html#ixzz2YwsicyBD

Yeah, and you would think somebody would have recognized that "Ho Lee
*advertiser censored*" is a made up name.

Took me a couple read thru's to get the 'joke'. When I figgered it out, I was shocked. That is in really bad taste.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greygooose
Back