CA - Brandy's fatal car crash, 30 Dec 2006

KrisNine said:
Something tells me she was doing what 90% of the drivers on the 405 freeway in LA do...talking on their cells phones and not paying attention to the road.
My husband thinks that all major highways should have a device that jams cell phones, rendering them useless. I know there are pros and cons for an idea such as this. What do you guys think?

samhoney said:
My husband thinks that all major highways should have a device that jams cell phones, rendering them useless. I know there are pros and cons for an idea such as this. What do you guys think?
It would be nice to not have people on the phone and driving but if you broke down on the highway or needed to call 911 because something happened while you were driving what would you do? One of the good things about cell phones is being able to use them in an emergency.

Becca

samhoney said:

Absolutely not! Cell phones are the reason many drunk or otherwise reckless drivers are caught driving on highways, etc.. I know I've called in a few reports of reckless drivers. Just like those who are irresponsible enough to drive under the influence, there are people who will drive while holding a cell phone to their ear and they should be punished when their recklesness is caught. But jamming phone lines so that those who are not driving, or people who have the proper equipment in their cars, or people who are in an emergency situation cannot make calls when needed is not the remedy for those people. In other words, don't punish everyone because of a few bad apples.

Breaking News: California Highway patrol recommends to D.A. that Brandy be charged with vehicular homicide

Jack said:
Absolutely not! Cell phones are the reason many drunk or otherwise reckless drivers are caught driving on highways, etc.. I know I've called in a few reports of reckless drivers. Just like those who are irresponsible enough to drive under the influence, there are people who will drive while holding a cell phone to their ear and they should be punished when their recklesness is caught. But jamming phone lines so that those who are not driving, or people who have the proper equipment in their cars, or people who are in an emergency situation cannot make calls when needed is not the remedy for those people. In other words, don't punish everyone because of a few bad apples.
I agree. As a general rule people are idiots and will always find a way to be preoccupied with something stupid while driving. If it's not the cell phone, it's the knobs/buttons on the radio, or fishing out the perfect cd, or looking for a piece of gum in the bottom of your purse, or the kid in the backseat, etc, etc, etc......

Police want to charge Brandy for accident
CHP recommends vehicular manslaughter charge for starting fatal crash

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873126/from/RS.4/

LOS ANGELES - A city attorney’s spokesman says the California Highway Patrol is recommending that actress-singer Brandy be charged with misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter for a fatal freeway crash

Tang said Brandy has been “fantastically cooperative” with police.

Alcohol and drugs have been ruled out as factors in the crash, and there is no evidence that Brandy was using a cell phone or was otherwise distracted at the time of the crash. She was in her car alone, Tang said.

curious1 said:
I agree. As a general rule people are idiots and will always find a way to be preoccupied with something stupid while driving. If it's not the cell phone, it's the knobs/buttons on the radio, or fishing out the perfect cd, or looking for a piece of gum in the bottom of your purse, or the kid in the backseat, etc, etc, etc......
What about the professional athlete (sorry, name escapes me) that was watching *advertiser censored* while driving? :bang:

IdahoMom said:
What about the professional athlete (sorry, name escapes me) that was watching *advertiser censored* while driving? :bang:
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that special idiot. :doh:

This pic is up on my Yahoo front page. Wow, those earrings look really uncomfortable.

2luvmy said:
Police want to charge Brandy for accident
CHP recommends vehicular manslaughter charge for starting fatal crash

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873126/from/RS.4/

LOS ANGELES - A city attorney’s spokesman says the California Highway Patrol is recommending that actress-singer Brandy be charged with misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter for a fatal freeway crash

Tang said Brandy has been “fantastically cooperative” with police.

Alcohol and drugs have been ruled out as factors in the crash, and there is no evidence that Brandy was using a cell phone or was otherwise distracted at the time of the crash. She was in her car alone, Tang said.
I hate to say it but what took so long? Had it been a normal everyday person, charges would have been filed within a couple of days. Heck she is famous and I never heard of her but that doesn't change the facts that she is the reason this person is dead and given the chain reaction, could have caused other deaths as well. Sorry she commited a crime and deserves to do the same time any of us would have done in the same position, less her money.

I'm sure her lawyer(s) are sitting on her big time. I have no idea how she is financially, but as much as I've heard her name over the years I assume she has some money. That woman's child (I was thinking she was mother of 2?) would have their college fund in place already - at the VERY LEAST.

I don;t know if this has been posted, but the family of the killed woman are suing Brandy for 50 million.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=182642

Brandy faces $50 mln lawsuit over car smash

Wednesday Jan 31 15:10 AEDT
By Steve Gorman

Singer-actress Brandy was sued for $50 million on Tuesday by the family of a woman killed in a four-car freeway crash which police have blamed on the 27-year-old performer.

The wrongful death lawsuit by the parents of Awatef Aboudihaj, 38, was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court a day after police recommended that prosecutors charge Brandy with a misdemeanor count of vehicular manslaughter.

Did anyone read this?!?!

Brandy Unfairly Targeted, Civil Rights Group Claims
http://www.tmz.com/2007/01/30/brandy-unfairly-targeted-civil-rights-group-claims/

<snip>
Black civil rights leaders in Los Angeles claim the California Highway Patrol has made singer/actress Brandy "a political trophy."
<snip>
Najee Ali, leader of Project Islamic HOPE, said the CHP's recommendation to file charges against the singer "is unfairly targeting her for prosecution because of her celebrity."

Excuse me?!?! Because she's a celebrity she SHOULDN'T be charged like a "normal" citizen? Because she's a celebrity she should get away with this?!?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!?!?!?!

JBean said:
I don;t know if this has been posted, but the family of the killed woman are suing Brandy for 50 million.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=182642

Brandy faces $50 mln lawsuit over car smash

Wednesday Jan 31 15:10 AEDT
By Steve Gorman

Singer-actress Brandy was sued for $50 million on Tuesday by the family of a woman killed in a four-car freeway crash which police have blamed on the 27-year-old performer.

The wrongful death lawsuit by the parents of Awatef Aboudihaj, 38, was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court a day after police recommended that prosecutors charge Brandy with a misdemeanor count of vehicular manslaughter.
California must not be a no-fault state then?

ljwf22 said:
California must not be a no-fault state then?
I think even in no-fault states you may still have the option to sue in cases of death and severe injury.

ETA:I should add that you are correct about CA. I kind of missed your real question. sorry.

This is so sad - for the family of Awatef Aboudihaj and for Brandy.

Do y'all remember many years ago when Matthew Broderick got into a head-on collision in Ireland (I think) and killed a boy? I believe her got a number of years of probation. Don't know if the family of the boy killed sued him or not, but they probably did.

I think something like this would weigh on a person forever.

MagicRose99 said:
Did anyone read this?!?!

Brandy Unfairly Targeted, Civil Rights Group Claims
http://www.tmz.com/2007/01/30/brandy-unfairly-targeted-civil-rights-group-claims/

<snip>
Black civil rights leaders in Los Angeles claim the California Highway Patrol has made singer/actress Brandy "a political trophy."
<snip>
Najee Ali, leader of Project Islamic HOPE, said the CHP's recommendation to file charges against the singer "is unfairly targeting her for prosecution because of her celebrity."

Excuse me?!?! Because she's a celebrity she SHOULDN'T be charged like a "normal" citizen? Because she's a celebrity she should get away with this?!?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!?!?!?!

Oh for crying out loud!!!!

While my girls and I are Brandy fans, it is clear that she was at fault for causing an accident. I am sure she is devastated, however the family of the woman that was killed is devastated also.

My 14, and 15 year old daughters can see that this was nothing but an accident with Brandy being at fault, and are they expecting Brandy to own up to the consequences even if it was an accident.

Just last night the news was talking about Brandy's accident and was naming several "stars" that have caused accidents that have claimed the lives of others. It was interesting.

We don't feel Brandy is being picked on at all. After all, this happened a few months ago and we are just hearing about it now. I am sure there was a thourough investigation as to what happened because she is "Brandy". If anything, she was treated with kid gloves, IMO.

Now, I am just curious as to how the 50 million dollar figure came about. I am not familiar with how judgements are made, but don't they usually go by potential lost wages, etc. and then pain and suffering?

Michigan is a no fault state where I live, no fault just means your insurance pays for the repair of your car. You can still be issued tickets (which if one is given the person who caused the accident through reckless driving usually pays the deductible for the other people(s) cars and as jbean stated you can still be sued always even just for medical bills or severe injury or death. I personally like the no fault law, that way I wont get screwed if someone wrecks my car and doesnt have insurance and sueing wouldnt help anything if they hardly have any income for you to be reimbursed with.

Regarding playing the race card its ridiculous, She IS AT FAULT! Of course she should be prosecuted just like anyone else.

Loss of wages would be considered if the person was still alive but since she is dead she wont be back home ever again. Trust me Im sure she could swing 50 million, besides in lawsuits its common to settle for less. She has many platinum albums not to mention a tv show that ran for years.

southcitymom said:
This is so sad - for the family of Awatef Aboudihaj and for Brandy.

Do y'all remember many years ago when Matthew Broderick got into a head-on collision in Ireland (I think) and killed a boy? I believe her got a number of years of probation. Don't know if the family of the boy killed sued him or not, but they probably did.

I think something like this would weigh on a person forever.

I feel awful for both families too.

I for one would be devastated if anything like that happened to me. OMG I can't even imagine!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back