CA - CAJON PASS, 500-acre brush fire jumps freeway, cars on fire (UPDATE)

Where is the southbound traffic/road (assuming this is northbound)? Did the fire jump that too?

Yes, the southbound lanes are right next to it. The fire trucks are parked there, in this pictures.

7RrmndC.jpg

just heard on the news the highway should reopen at noon tomorrow

Sorry, it ended about 10 minutes after I posted that.

Thats OK , I got to see some of the feed before it was shut off. The funny thing is SkyFox11 is still flying circles over the fire zone.

I was watching this all unfold on the news this afternoon, very scary. Can't imagine how terrified the drivers stuck must have felt. Hoping they are all safe and unharmed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just heard a witness on 9 news earlier---she has asthma and had to run from her car, up the smoky freeway ---just was released from a quick hospital trip for treatment for her lungs

[video=youtube;krRKG71arxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krRKG71arxM[/video]

For those wondering here was the locations of the fire and the cars.

HYypSus.jpg

For those wondering here was the locations of the fire and the cars.

HYypSus.jpg

KaaBoom -
Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to put this together & share it.
Glad you have the skill to do it for those of us who don't.
Going to go check for any vid of scene this a.m., to see if I can link an update.
Hoping for safety of everyone in the area.

KaaBoom Thank you very much.

KaaBoom -
Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to put this together & share it.
Glad you have the skill to do it for those of us who don't.
Going to go check for any vid of scene this a.m., to see if I can link an update.
Hoping for safety of everyone in the area.

KaaBoom Thank you very much.

No problem. It din't take that much time to put together. I was just trying to figure out the locations myself.

Thank you so much to all for the explanations. WS was acting so horribly for me last night and wasn't able to thank you at the time. I have never seen anything like this and I was heartbroken for all those affected. I had tears watching a home burn to the ground and as an equine lover, my heart sank when I saw all the stables/barns. I know the equine community will pull together to help get the horses out as it is understood.

I woke up this morning and learned the fire was only 5% contained and I have worried for the people that live there. It is one thing to imagine a scenario and a whole other thing to watch it go down in real time.

link for update:
http://news.yahoo.com/california-brush-fire-forces-evacuation-more-300-campers-143303389.html

California brush fire forces evacuation of more than 300 campers: fire officials

- Dozens of children were among more than 300 people evacuated from campgrounds early Saturday morning as firefighters battled brush fires burning in Southern California's drought-parched foothills, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported and no structures were threatened from the fire that broke out at about 9:30 p.m. along the Angeles Crest Highway. It has charred more that 125 acres northwest of San Bernardino, according to an online U.S. Forest Service post.

[video=youtube;6I8hwn3Qax8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I8hwn3Qax8[/video]

Family survives wildfire, a ‘nightmare’ scene

Christine Ferretti, The Detroit News 7:55 p.m. EDT July 18, 2015

A peaceful scenic trip through the desert turned into a nightmare Friday for a Southgate family caught in the grips of a fast-moving California wildfire.

Russell Allevato, a 45-year-old real estate broker, was several days into a long-awaited vacation from Las Vegas to Los Angeles with his two teenage daughters, his nephew and his nephew’s girlfriend.

They were traveling along Interstate 15 — the main highway between Southern California and Las Vegas — when the wildfire that started in the Cajon Pass ate through dried brush and began engulfing vehicles, sending passengers fleeing for their lives...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...y-survives-wildfire-nightmare-scene/30357537/

I apologize as I have been unable to find any current thread on the horrible fires in California. This particular thread really left an impacting impression on me as I watched the video in real time. I just want to make sure our California WS members are ok and is there anything we can do for any of you in harm's way? Or send anything to those that have been affected by this horrible act of nature. Please send me to the right thread if I have totally messed this up. Thank you!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back