CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ not a serious speculation and I do sleep in a building down the street from the Cecil but haven't found any records of murders or deaths at the building just right outside :-/

Anyone else believe in paranormal energy and effects on the psyche? In general, not pertinent to the case. Just so I don't seem like a nutjob ha

There wouldn't be a fuzzy blob over the person if they just edited them out by cutting the footage. I'm assuming we're talking about the portion of the video where the counter freezes. Say someone walked past the elevator at 1:00:01 and moved out of frame at 1:00:03...LE could just snip this 3 seconds of video out completely and the counter would likely have a little jump, or appear to pause.

I personally am not convinced anyone was even edited out. The video quality is poor, suggesting an old/inexpensive camera. I've spent the last 7 years editing surveillance footage every single day and I can't count the number of times the timestamp on a camera has screwed up on me. It even happens with good cameras! I've also had footage from poor quality cameras stall/lag on me before.

I agree, there isn't anyone edited out. Otherwise, why would they insist that the last people to see her were the hotel staff? They could have easily said that she was last seen by a resident around the time the elevator video was taken.

Here's another online article with another video story attached. Nothing really new, just an interview with a bookstore employee who chatted with Lam on Jan 31st.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/elisa-lam-cecil-hotel-update-video-inside-the-los-angeles-hotel

^ not a serious speculation and I do sleep in a building down the street from the Cecil but haven't found any records of murders or deaths at the building just right outside :-/

Anyone else believe in paranormal energy and effects on the psyche? In general, not pertinent to the case. Just so I don't seem like a nutjob ha

Well a girl jumped from that hotel and landed on a pedestrian outside and they both died!

Wondering if chlorine in drinking water could destroy Tuberculosis, considering the apparent recent outbreak?

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/02/21/initial-autopsy-reveals-nothing-in-la-death-of-vancouver-woman
An L.A. Fire Department spokesman told 24 hours Wednesday the door to the hotel’s roof didn’t have a lock, but was fitted with an alarm that would sound if it were opened. It also needed a special key to be switched off.

Whoever had access to the key is a pivotal part of the investigation, according to police.

Meanwhile, the L.A. County Department of Health said testing of the hotel’s tap water found no bacteria or pathogens.

“The reason for that is that the water supply is from the city of L.A. and it’s chlorinated,” said department spokesperson Angelo Bellomo.

“Chlorine in that water has a tendency to kill bacteria"
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/2...erned-about-tuberculosis-outbreak-on-skid-row

Wait... someone mentioned she might have a seizure disorder? A simple focal seizure could very well explain her behavior in the elevator. Simple focal (or simple partial) seizures can cause hallucinations, delusions or what are basically emotional flashbacks.

Does anyone know if the Cecil has all their floors accessible? Other notable hotels have had frozen wings and annexes, those buildings also had murderous histories.
Ill look into this. I feel like its an opportunity for an insider to take advantage of the unused space :(

Can anyone translate? Do they think they see "something" appearing in the shadows of the video??

starting at about 4.05... about 5:10 they are drawing outlines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JIyJawW03M

Translation:-

While this case is still a mystery and being investigated, a guy have stood up claiming to be the boyfriend of Elisa Lam. He stood up calling for all netizens to stop their senseless speculations and even threatened to sue netizens who are out to slander Elisa Lam.

He said "Your senseless accusations have hurt everyone including her family and friends. Please constrain yourselves. We will not hesitate to sue anyone who slanders or made senseless negative accusation of Elisa's character."

There have been reports that Elisa Lam was nude when found. Police are suspecting foul play. This hotel has been the home of previous serial killers. Although the hotel was newly renovated a few years ago and poses a grand interior, the location of the hotel has not changed and remained shady.. *street interviews*.

*Then there was content about how netizens tried to play the the video backwards claiming that it makes more sense which was quickly deunked by video experts due to the lift buttons lights going off upon pressing (if played backwards)*

*Then news went on to invite a master who usually claimed to be able to interact with the spirits. Yes we Asians believes in this... *
He said, "we can clearly see a spirit stand right in the lift. It looks like a guy, and the spirit is clearly messing around with Elisa."

"There are spirits everywhere and lifts are no exception."

News then moved on to an old news in Taiwan where a mother/daughter disappeared after taking an elevator up a building, taking off their coat and shoes and running up the roof. They are still missing as of today since 5 years ago. No one could explain why the mother/daughter did what they did.... and where they are now.

Respectfully snipped:
Wondering if chlorine in drinking water could destroy Tuberculosis, considering the apparent recent outbreak?

TB is transmitted by aerosolisation (I don't think that's a real word, but I'm going with it) of saliva via coughing, sneezing or spitting. A body with TB in a water supply would not transmit it. It pretty much has to be inhaled.

Can anyone translate? Do they think they see "something" appearing in the shadows of the video??

I don't know what they're saying or seeing, but those are the same types of shadows I was referring to initially (and no, i don't think it's paranormal activity, if that is what they are referring to).

I'm starting to think that maybe we are reading too much into the video. Obviously it was released for a reason, but I think it's distracting us from the main issue: how did she get into the water tank and how long was she there?

After looking at all the photos on the board (thanks for posting, those were helpful), I doubt she made it up there alone. There are easier ways to commit suicide (including simply jumping off the roof if she had gotten up there) especially with someone who has access to psych meds.

What I truly want to know is what did she do while in LA? Did she post to Facebook that she was sightseeing? It looked like she did when she was in San Diego. When I travel, I tend to check out local restaurants and chat up bartenders, baristas, etc. Did anyone see her around the neighborhood other than the bookstore employee? If she was so outgoing, someone must have remembered talking to her. The hotel has free breakfast, did any of the other guests meet her?

So many unanswered questions to this case. I'm hoping someone comes forward with some information soon.

I think it is important to note that it does not matter if we believe in preternatural/supernatural/paranormal phenomenon to think that she could be experiencing what she considered to be such a phenomenon in the elevator. Her beliefs are what is important.

(For example, it doesn't matter if a Protestant believes that the bread undergoes transubstantiation, to a Catholic, it does. Perception and perspective are key on a personal level.)

I'm starting to think that maybe we are reading too much into the video. Obviously it was released for a reason, but I think it's distracting us from the main issue: how did she get into the water tank and how long was she there?

After looking at all the photos on the board (thanks for posting, those were helpful), I doubt she made it up there alone. There are easier ways to commit suicide (including simply jumping off the roof if she had gotten up there) especially with someone who has access to psych meds.

What I truly want to know is what did she do while in LA? Did she post to Facebook that she was sightseeing? It looked like she did when she was in San Diego. When I travel, I tend to check out local restaurants and chat up bartenders, baristas, etc. Did anyone see her around the neighborhood other than the bookstore employee? If she was so outgoing, someone must have remembered talking to her. The hotel has free breakfast, did any of the other guests meet her?

So many unanswered questions to this case. I'm hoping someone comes forward with some information soon.

Very much agree with this. There is no definitive evidence from the video that shows it is correlated to her death. While the behaviour is important to take into account, the real questions are how did she end up in the water tank? Even if she did have access to the roof, getting onto the cistern and getting inside seems infeasible for her height/weight proportion.

On the other hand, as I've noted, with dead body/dead weight dynamics, I'd suggest multiple persons or a far above average individual.

I think it is important to note that it does not matter if we believe in preternatural/supernatural/paranormal phenomenon to think that she could be experiencing what she considered to be such a phenomenon in the elevator. Her beliefs are what is important.

(For example, it doesn't matter if a Protestant believes that the bread undergoes transubstantiation, to a Catholic, it does. Perception and perspective are key on a personal level.)

I hope my post didn't make you think I was criticizing any belief in the paranormal necco. My intent was simply to indicate I saw something ... what it is/was, I don't know.

:couch:
I believe in it based on my own history, things so inexplicable that even friends who consider me "stick on the ice" tried to convince me to contact a parapsychology institute to develop this "talent". I chose not to, it is not something i ever wanted to develop, and i try to disregard it and prefer to resort to logic and common sense. Does it exist? This :nuts: thinks it does. Do I think it applies in any way in this case? No.

JMO

I hope my post didn't make you think I was criticizing any belief in the paranormal necco. My intent was simply to indicate I saw something ... what it is/was, I don't know.

Oh, no, not at all. I don't see anything in the footage either.

I have been in a hotel with a similar history. Combination hotel/apartment building, lots of deaths. To me, the history of the building, of the lives and deaths of its former inhabitants was physically palpable. But someone I was with didn't feel a thing. Perception is what's important to some experiences, not absolute truth.

Where they see something, all I see is pixelation from poor quality video. The human brain subconsiously looks for familiar shapes/figures in patterns. This is known as "Pareidolia".

Oh, no, not at all. I don't see anything in the footage either.

I have been in a hotel with a similar history. Combination hotel/apartment building, lots of deaths. To me, the history of the building, of the lives and deaths of its former inhabitants was physically palpable. But someone I was with didn't feel a thing. Perception is what's important to some experiences, not absolute truth.

Right, so not entirely true when I say I don't think it applies to this case. A person's perception is their reality, so it could apply if Elisa was frightened by something that she believed was related to the paranormal (and the history of the hotel may have had an influence in that).

JMO

Where they see something, all I see is pixelation from poor quality video. The human brain subconsiously looks for familiar shapes/figures in patterns. This is known as "Pareidolia".

Yes, we went through a lot of that in the Tori Stafford case a couple of years ago. There was a rather "distinct" dog appeared to be in the car window ... where no dog existed. Oddly enough, it ended up that the perps had coerced Tori into going with them to see a dog :(

Dang, you mean all those dogs on my bathroom floor really don't exist? :floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJ1690