CA CA - Cindy Mellin, 19, Ventura, 20 Jan 1970

The ruse was identical to the one used to abduct Arrilla Webb-Vaul in Louisiana in 1979.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...rish-15-March-1979&highlight=Arilla webb vaul
So many times, the "disable your victim's car" was used by many different people.

Whoever killed Cheri Jo Bates disabled her car.

Whoever tried to abduct Kathleen Johns disabled her car.

Whoever abducted Cindy Lee Mellin disabled her car.

Not necessarily correlation...

But perhaps Bates and Mellin were killed by the same man (who wasn't Zodiac)? There was an incident some time after the Bates murder where another coed escaped from a creepy man who gave her a ride, talked about Bates a lot, threatened her, and told her to strip.

I lived in the Bay Area of Northern California in 1970, which is where Hayward is located. I was about 18 at the time.

There was a lot of traveling back and forth between Ventura/Los Angeles area and the Bay Area in the 70's. People took the train, or the Greyhound, or drove, on a regular basis.

Lots of people had families in both locations, or went to school or work in Southern or Northern Cali, and traveled back and forth.

I have no problem with the distance between Hayward and Ventura. That is easily a one day trip. One hour by air plane.

Bumping. Poor girl trusted a man who grabbed her. Sadly he has probably died and we may never know what happened. I hope we find out though.

CMellin.jpg
CMellin1.jpg

Cindy Lee Mellin
Missing since January 20, 1970 from Ventura, Ventura County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: December 3, 1950
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6" (168 cm.); 105 lbs. (48 kg.)
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes. Mellin wears contact lenses.
    • Clothing/Jewelry: She was last seen wearing a navy blue dress with red buttons, a brown corduroy coat and blue shoes with gold buckles. She was also wearing a gold ring with a single pearl.
    • Dentals: Not available
  • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mellin was employed by the Broadway Department Store in the Buenaventura Shopping Center. She left work shortly after closing on the night of January 20, 1970. She was last seen standing next to her car in the shopping center parking lot while an unidentified male changed her tire. When she failed to return home that night, her father went to the shopping center looking for her and found her car still up on a jack with the flat tire still attached.
Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Ventura Police Department
805-339-4400

Agency Case Number: CR50785

NCIC Number: M-654977212
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Thanks for bumping this case up Lavender Moon.
If the Perp isn't already deceased, he is probably incarcerated or was.
My guess is that this lovely young woman's remains most likely sit unidentified on some shelf.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back