CA - Conservative candidate deletes FB page after violent and sexist posts revealed

I don't think he apologized.

IDK if in this case he did or did not apologize and I am too daggum tired to hunt for MSM links. But I do know that it is always weird to me when people create for themselves very public, on-parade, lives (Duggars, I am looking at YOU) and then balk and complain about the public invading their "privacy". Are we serious, here?

Who does not understand that the interwebz is forever and can bite you in your virtual and actual azz?

I have FB and am meticulous about what I post because I am mindful that I am a representative of my workplace and my other organizations. I am by no means a "public figure", but I understand the influence of SM even in my small professional life.

How is it someone savvy enough to run for a political position does not "get" that?

To be fair, I think that this Conservative candidate is even worse:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ate-after-internet-comments-surface-1.3199158

He fancies himself quite the intellectual, opining on many subjects, notably aboriginals and women: "Before treating our ancestors as thieves, we have to at least not betray history. In Quebec, it's the descendents of the French who have ancestral rights [to land], not the Mohawks. The Supreme Court still does not understand that."

and

"To be fair, I think it's better to speak of men's authority over women, than of superiority. I think that male-female relations were not determined by religion, but rather by forces present before religions [existed]. Man was stronger than woman, the woman was placed under his protection. Because of pregnancies, women were often in a state of fragility or insecurity, so men protected them, etc."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ate-after-internet-comments-surface-1.3199158

He fancies himself quite the intellectual, opining on many subjects, notably aboriginals and women: "Before treating our ancestors as thieves, we have to at least not betray history. In Quebec, it's the descendents of the French who have ancestral rights [to land], not the Mohawks. The Supreme Court still does not understand that."

and

"To be fair, I think it's better to speak of men's authority over women, than of superiority. I think that male-female relations were not determined by religion, but rather by forces present before religions [existed]. Man was stronger than woman, the woman was placed under his protection. Because of pregnancies, women were often in a state of fragility or insecurity, so men protected them, etc."

Egads. Yes, there is always someone much worse waiting in the wings. :gasp:

Did this Conservative candidate delete Facebook to hide his tips on the art of love?

It is unclear how he hoped voters in his riding would react when, only a month and a half before he was formally acclaimed as a Conservative candidate, Moughrabi circulated a video titled "Hot Crazy Matrix: Man's Guide to Women," offering men the following pointers on "how to deal with women":
[snip]

On the other hand, it could be a good idea for this Conservative Casanova to keep his views on the intersection of love and gender relations on the down-low – just last week, the Conservatives axed another Quebec candidate for online comments portraying women as inferior to men.

Tories drop outspoken Quebec candidate
Gilles Guibord is no longer running for the Conservatives in a Montreal riding after a blog published screenshots of online comments attributed to him.

A candidate in the Montreal riding of Rosemont—La Petite-Patrie is no longer running for the Conservatives following reports of controversial comments made online under his name.

Gilles Guibord is “not the candidate anymore,” Conservative party spokesperson Kevin Menard said Friday morning.

Guibord’s exit as a Tory candidate follows the publication Thursday of screenshots of comments attributed to him regarding women, aboriginal people and religion.

Oh, those wacky Conservatives.

and

We were posting at the same time but I am so much slower! Or more easily distracted.

eta: These two dropping out gives me hope.

We were posting at the same time but I am so much slower! Or more easily distracted.

eta: These two dropping out gives me hope.

I have mixed feelings -- it's always good to leave a bad member of a bad party in the election...they have a greater chance of losing.

Thing is, neither of these candidates would have had any chance of winning in those ridings. It would be like having a member of the Communist party winning in Waco.

I have mixed feelings -- it's always good to leave a bad member of a bad party in the election...they have a greater chance of losing.

Thing is, neither of these candidates would have had any chance of winning in those ridings. It would be like having a member of the Communist party winning in Waco.

True. I'm still learning how things work in Canada and now that you mention it I realize if the Conservative candidate in my riding dropped out it wouldn't make a difference and wouldn't be anything to get excited about. (I don't even know the person's name, that's how orangey-red it is here.)

But I'm still going to hold on to hope this means people everywhere are sick of their way of doing things.

I don't think he apologized.

I know that was said above. But there is a quote further down in the first link: I'm not saying it's a shining example of contrition, but he said the usual and generic, ""I do however understand that some of these Facebook comments were inappropriate and might have affected or offended certain people. That wasn't my intention," etc.

I think that's what most public apologies sound like nowadays. I can understand that blue and others may not find it a very convincing apology.

(ETA the actual quote from the link in the first post)

True. I'm still learning how things work in Canada...

I am, too. I'm especially curious about all the talk of ridings. Here's my last FB post:

"What are Canadians riding to the polls? Reindeer."

If my friends pass it on it will probably prevent any future political career for me.

I am, too. I'm especially curious about all the talk of ridings. Here's my last FB post:

"What are Canadians riding to the polls? Reindeer."

If my friends pass it on it will probably prevent any future political career for me.

Nice try, but the answer is "Moose."

I will pass this on and let you know how it goes.

Nice try, but the answer is "Moose."

I will pass this on and let you know how it goes.

Thanks, blue. I trust it was clear I posted no such thing on FB. I kid Canada only because I love her, from Newfoundland to BC.

Thanks, blue. I trust it was clear I posted no such thing on FB. I kid Canada only because I love her, from Newfoundland to BC.

Understood. :)

I tried it out on two people and had to explain "You know.. Riding?" twice and still got a confused look so maybe it only works for a very specific audience.

Honestly, I don't find those nearly as offensive as the young woman's comments (the one who resigned). These may be in poor taste, but I too have seen most, if not all, of these as memes on Facebook. He definitely fails in originality, but I don't really think those particular posts are that awful. Were they actually directed at specific people? If they were, that's different, but as I understand they were just stupid Facebook statuses? Stupid, but I wouldn't classify them as violent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I understand it, there are laws limiting freedom of speech in Canada, but I do not know what would constitute a criminal charge.

As I understand it, there are laws limiting freedom of speech in Canada, but I do not know what would constitute a criminal charge.

There are laws prohibiting hate propaganda in Canada, yes.

Under s. 318 of the Criminal Code, everyone who advocates or promotes genocide is guilty of an offence punishable by five years' imprisonment.

Under s. 319(1) of the Criminal Code, anyone who communicates statements in a public place and thereby incites hatred against an identifiable group where such incitement leads to a breach of the peace is guilty of an indictable offence punishable by two years' imprisonment or a summary conviction offence. Section 319(2) makes it a crime to communicate, except in private conversation, statements that wilfully promote hatred against an identifiable group.

More here:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/researchpublications/856-e.htm#a. Present Law-t

There are also laws limiting freedom of speech in the USA; it would be difficult to determine which was more or less free. With respect to freedom of the press, for instance, the US is ranked 49th out of 181 in the Worldwide Press Freedom Index by Reporters without Borders; Canada is ranked 8th.

https://index.rsf.org/#!/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back