CA CA - Corinne Groenenberg, 14, Modesto, 1 Nov 1973

When I look at her picture real good it looks like the points of her hair look lighter...reddish....how do you call it? Frosted....I don't know....

corinne_june_groenenberg_1.jpg
Yes, I see that too, now that you mention it.Very young people often have beautiful natural highlights in their hair. I wonder if her family has submitted DNA. I'm thinking about the Jane Doe in the Santa Rosa Hitchhike Case.

Yes, I see that too, now that you mention it.Very young people often have beautiful natural highlights in their hair. I wonder if her family has submitted DNA. I'm thinking about the Jane Doe in the Santa Rosa Hitchhike Case.

According to the Doe Network file there is DNA available but I/we don't know what kind or where it is kept. And the public can't see the identifiers anymore in Namus. I wonder if she is already checked against some Jane Does.

Far fetched but could this be her? Greenberg being a translation from Groenenberg

Lisa C Goldberg
United States Public Records, 1970-2009
Name: Lisa C Goldberg
Alias:
L Goldberg
2nd Also Known As Name: Lisa C Goldgerg
3rd Also Known As Name: Lisa C Greenberg
Event Date: from 1 Jun 1996 to 25 Mar 2008
Event Place: Glen Oaks, Queens, New York City, New York, United States
Birth Date: 14 Oct 1957
Last Place of Residence: Glen Oaks, New York 11004
Second Previous Residence Place: New York, New York 10012
Third Previous Residence Place: Brooklyn, New York 11235
2nd Address Date: 01 Nov 1983-01 Jan 2004
3rd Address Date: 01 Aug 1978-13 Nov 2000

I also found out that her aunt (Mary) and uncle (Aubrey J.) from father's site lived in Dresden, Ontario, CA. They are both deceased. This is Mary's obituary.

Robinson: Mary of Dresden @ Thomas L. Deburger Funeral Home - CanadaObits.ca

Aubrey is buried on Dresden Cemetery. I do think Corinne's grandparents from father's site are buried there also (Henry and Johanna)

ON: Dresden Cemetery, CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project You have to scroll down.

I couldn't find Doreen's obituary. And still no hit on the name Corinne June Groenenberg. Maybe someone with more experience can find her.

Not very likely but could she have tried to go to Ontario and something happened to her there?

I want to know more about where they lived, where she was born...maybe she wanted to go back there? Did she had sisters/brothers, I don't think so but...or cousins of her age? Just to get a better picture. There is so little information....I think Cory is still alive but even that I couldn't find out. It could be his real name was Cor, Cornelis, Cornelius or the like. Also the "Greenberg thing" is in the way. A lot of times names from out site America are "translated" in more American sounding names. You see that a lot.

Last edited:
There is a blog that published a new photo of Corinne
Placing it here
peeplesd2.jpg

Source

there appears to be some age discrepancies. Newspaper stating her age being 16, while others, 14.

"There is some confusion as to her age. NamUs states that she was 16, while a Modesto Bee article says she was 14. I’m inclined to go with the newspaper article, since the information was more than likely supplied by her parents – plus, I think she looks closer to 14 in her photo. I couldn’t find a birth record to eliminate any doubts, though. It appears she wasn’t born in California."

There is a blog that published a new photo of Corinne
Placing it here
peeplesd2.jpg

Source

there appears to be some age discrepancies. Newspaper stating her age being 16, while others, 14.

"There is some confusion as to her age. NamUs states that she was 16, while a Modesto Bee article says she was 14. I’m inclined to go with the newspaper article, since the information was more than likely supplied by her parents – plus, I think she looks closer to 14 in her photo. I couldn’t find a birth record to eliminate any doubts, though. It appears she wasn’t born in California."

This is not a picture of Corinne. It's Donna JoAnn Peeples.
Donna JoAnn Peeples (1958-1975) - Find A Grave...

How hard can it be to get the correct birth date of a missing person, I wonder? Was it October 14, 1957 or October 4, 1959. Was Corinne maybe adopted by Mr. Groenenberg or born out of wedlock, from a prior marriage? Why is there nowhere a birth certificate for her to be found. Also I think the circumstances written down in different files are still kind of strange....There must be more accurate information and IMO more details. I don't know...I feel sad about all this.

Stay with us though, won't you, friend? We still need your enthusiatic help.

I tend to work on Jane Doe to ID, rather than ID first then finding them.
But, she is a face I keep seeing on that list and like all the other people, it is sad to see a case like that unsolved.

But I can try; here is a Jane Does of interest
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Age-range is very different, but she was found in Modesto, Stanislaus California, and estimated year of death is 1973. Same year as Corinne disappeared. Many categories are listed as "Unknown".
There was clothing, but I have not seen any records of what Corinne was last wearing when she went missing. 1 inch difference in height estimate. Reason why I call it estimate it because it says they did not find the head in the description, so either this is a measurement of the body without head, or an aproximation of what it would be with a head.

Green Jacket with pink lining and brass buttons, shirt (size small), black hip hugger capri pants ( appear home made no labels, waist is 34").

There is also this jane doe, found further south.
But she is much shorter than Corinne, by 4 inches. She had long light brown hair. Age estimate puts her at 14-19, she had pierced ears. She was wearing "CORDUROY S-J LABEL PANTS, BLUE LONG SLEEVE SWEATER, BLUE TENNIS SHOES"

Last edited:
I tend to work on Jane Doe to ID, rather than ID first then finding them.
But, she is a face I keep seeing on that list and like all the other people, it is sad to see a case like that unsolved.

But I can try; here is a Jane Does of interest
Age-range is very different, but she was found in Modesto, Stanislaus California, and estimated year of death is 1973. Same year as Corinne disappeared. Many categories are listed as "Unknown".
There was clothing, but I have not seen any records of what Corinne was last wearing when she went missing. 1 inch difference in height estimate. Reason why I call it estimate it because it says they did not find the head in the description, so either this is a measurement of the body without head, or an aproximation of what it would be with a head.

Green Jacket with pink lining and brass buttons, shirt (size small), black hip hugger capri pants ( appear home made no labels, waist is 34").

There is also this jane doe, found further south.
But she is much shorter than Corinne, by 4 inches. She had long light brown hair. Age estimate puts her at 14-19, she had pierced ears. She was wearing "CORDUROY S-J LABEL PANTS, BLUE LONG SLEEVE SWEATER, BLUE TENNIS SHOES"

La Habra Heights Jane Doe was found in September 1973. Corinne went missing on November 1 1973 according to her file. Theoretically this Jane Doe can't be Corinne. But....normally I wont argue about a missing date, but there are even problems with naming an exact birth date......This makes me wonder about the accuracy of the missing date. It could be an estimate or a reporting date/the date in the "books". I've seen that in other cases where it's not totally sure when somebody went missing, they put in the 1st of a certain month.

Also the 4 inches off is a lot, but it was an estimate on the UID site. My guess is that most of the time on the missing site it's an estimate too. My height is written down in my passport, and it's accurate, but unless it was measured just before missing or written down somewhere, I wouldn't even be 100% sure about my own spouses's height.

La Habra Heights Jane Doe was found in September 1973. Corinne went missing on November 1 1973 according to her file. Theoretically this Jane Doe can't be Corinne. But....normally I wont argue about a missing date, but there are even problems with naming an exact birth date......This makes me wonder about the accuracy of the missing date. It could be an estimate or a reporting date/the date in the "books". I've seen that in other cases where it's not totally sure when somebody went missing, they put in the 1st of a certain month.

Also the 4 inches off is a lot, but it was an estimate on the UID site. My guess is that most of the time on the missing site it's an estimate too. My height is written down in my passport, and it's accurate, but unless it was measured just before missing or written down somewhere, I wouldn't even be 100% sure about my own spouses's height.

Yeah. I normally would not include Jane does who are a little off in dates, but all the details in her case are so off.

Someone pointed out earlier that you could not walk to a highway from that spot in modest cause it was quite a distance to nearest highway. Correction:highway 99 goes through it.

There are conflicting stories on the age. The last sighting seems suspect as well to me. Why would you follow someone you know and not offer them a ride? Or talk to them? Just really unusual to me.

Last edited:
Can somebody check this out? I've got it in my mail today, from My heritage. Maybe it's nothing but you never know.

upload_2021-11-23_19-5-10.png

Can somebody check this out? I've got it in my mail today, from My heritage. Maybe it's nothing but you never know.

View attachment 323647

I'm afraid this is nothing new. I found the article. So sad to read Corinne's mother was still looking for her, not knowing her daughter's faith, at the age of 70. It must have hurt her so much and finally passing without knowing.

BTW in this article they write she was 14.....Let's get passed the age "thing"..as long if we can't find a birth document. I go with she was between 14 - 16.

upload_2021-11-27_11-45-55.png

Last edited:

It's very positive that there is still interest and publication about Corinne's case, thank you for posting. I'm not sure the content is totally accurate. I think the parents went back to a warmer area after her mom was diagnosed, from Modesto, back to South California, where they originally came from, after Corinne went missing.

Also new info I have never seen before:

A friend who was with her at the time said Corrine began to hitchhike as they reached the highway, and she got into a blue or green truck being driven by an adult male. Corrine hasn’t been seen since. The friend has never been identified.

May the friend please come forward now and clear this up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back