CA CA - Cory Weiss, 23, San Francisco, August/ September 2001

Long shot....I mean it really couldn't be this simple, could it?

http://www.coryweiss.com/our-team/

I can certainly see the resemblance.

I am curious why people have been so quick to dismiss this idea. There are almost NO details about this missing person, no familial insight, no reason to even list why he was reported missing.

Not saying it's this guy, but with such little information to go on, any ideas are useful/possibly viable.

i would love a middle name or at least an initial...

Wow...I can definitely see a resemblance. I can't find an age though.

Thanks everyone for joining in and trying to help find answers regarding Cory's case! I mean, everything is possible. We know next to nothing about this missing young man. Maybe he just went off the radar and is safe and sound. Maybe he is an UID somewhere.

I'm thinking of contacting the SFPD to ask them about more information concerning Cory's MP case and about putting him on NamUs. I can't seem to find any eMail address on their website though...I'm not in the US so I don't really want to call either.

Edit: I found some eMail addresses (http://www.sf-police.org/index.aspx?page=42) but I don't know which one to write to...

Wow, there are a lot of search hits for the name Cory Weiss, but most are either a rabbi (who would be too old), high school athletes (who would be too young), or female (who would be too, ummm...female).

In a people search engine, I did find a reference to a Cory Edison Weiss who would be the right age; listed addresses were mostly in the midwest (primarily Indiana), but also included San Francisco, as if he'd moved there when he finished college, maybe. Parents seem to be Donelle (sometimes misspelled Donelee) Bokich Weiss and Richard Weiss, who seem to still live in the Hammond, IN area. (Note: I have no idea if this is the Cory Weiss who is missing, especially since the ages are often way off in these people search engines. Just speculating here because of the San Francisco address...but "Cory Weiss" seems to be a fairly common name, and San Fran is a pretty big city, so there could certainly be several Cory Weisses associated with it.) One searching difficulty is that the California real estate guy appears to be the same age and is also a Cory E (Evan) Weiss.

I feel like the missing Cory Weiss probably wasn't a San Francisco native. IF (and this is a big IF) his family lived a fair distance away, they may not have known about or had access to resources to publicize his disappearance in a large city they weren't familiar with. I also wonder if, as someone speculated above, this might be a suicide, so the family reported him as missing since there was no body found to know for certain what happened, but they haven't publicized it more because they kind of know in their heart that he's not out there alive somewhere. Although if that were the case, you'd think one of the missing person sites would say something like, "He was reportedly distraught" or something like that.

PS: MM, I am also a fiery redhead. :)

ETA: Ignore anyplace I've typed "Cody" instead of "Cory"--I've been writing a lot about someone named Cody the past couple of weeks, and my fingers keep automatically typing a "d" instead of an "r." I think I've changed all the typos above, but if I've missed one, it's just my mistake, not a speculation that he's hiding under the name Cody or anything--

The Hammond & Saint Louis Cory is the right one, on Ancestry he is listed with the correct birthdate. I think he was from Hammond but attended Washington University in Saint Louis, as his address there is a university address.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that his family think that he committed suicide, I've found his grandfather's 2008 obituary and he is listed as surviving on it.

Thanks, alllads! That really does make me wonder why his disappearance is not more widely publicized. Maybe his folks aren't comfortable with/adept at the internet or with getting publicity? 2001 isn't so, so long ago in the big scheme of things--there are colder cases that are all over the web. Hmmmm. I hope someone does ask the SF police dept. if there's any more info on this. (Someone braver than me when it comes to contacting LE out of the blue.)

Goodness...you guys are amazing to have found what you have.

It would be so great if we had an idea when he was last seen and who he was with....who reported him missing? Where did he work? Was he in a relationship with someone, whether male or female? Really wish we had more to work with here.

I'm thinking of contacting the SFPD to ask them about more information concerning Cory's MP case and about putting him on NamUs. I can't seem to find any eMail address on their website though...I'm not in the US so I don't really want to call either.

Edit: I found some eMail addresses (http://www.sf-police.org/index.aspx?page=42) but I don't know which one to write to...

eMail sent! I hope I'll get a response.

I've found an ancient homepage for him, set up while he was still at uni, but it's empty. Here's a link: http://web.archive.org/web/20010708234113/http://userfs.cec.wustl.edu/~cew1/

There used to be an image on it, but the image was taken down off the server (probably because he had already graduated) by 2001 it looks like, which is when Wayback Machine was started I think.

The email address returns no results anywhere online, I was hoping he'd used it to comment SOMEWHERE about something that might give us the tiniest clue over what could have happened to him.

I found Cory Edison Weiss on Zabasearch, age 36, with an address and phone in Pittsburg, Ca, and an address in St Louis, Mo.

http://www.zabasearch.com/people/cory+edison+weiss/#E|30|

I wonder WHEN he was in Pittsburg, CA. Because one possibility, is that his family "knew" he was living in San Francisco but really he was living in the Bay Area in general, and was living in Pittsburg. So if they didn't hear from him for several months and reported him missing, they reported him as missing from San Francisco?

Sorry to comment third time in a row, but I wonder if it might be worthwhile to contact the Washington University class of 1999 community?

Also, the closest high school to Cory's Hammond address is Morton High School. No yearbook past 1987 available past 1987 on Classmates unfortunately, but likewise could it be worth contacting alumni for class of 1995?

Someone must have known him, and maybe one of these people at least knows what he went out to SF for, or even has an idea of what the circumstances of his disappearance were.

Sorry to comment third time in a row, but I wonder if it might be worthwhile to contact the Washington University class of 1999 community?

Great sleuthing so I don't mind you commenting 100 times in a row :)

I thought about contacting people who went to university with him as well. Someone must have known him and remember him.

Well.. all I can say is I've told my family that should I ever go missing, to come on to websleuths so you guys can find me! hahaa

Amazing what you guys found out on this guy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MWinslow
Back