GUILTY CA - Dr. William Ayres for child molestation, San Mateo, 2007 #2

Here's what a poster at the Atherton Almanac news called Ray of Sunshine had to say about the San Mateo DA's office:

Posted by ray of sunshine, a resident of another community, 23 hours ago

Thank you Almanac News for letting this thread stay up. There is no way that I would write this, with my position in the legal community of San Mateo County if I had to register.

I am glad to see the dirt that was swept under the rug and kept there for so long come oTut for everyone to see.

Fox used to be the butt of a favorite joke around the office that in San Mateo County the tail did indeed wag the dog.

The fact of the matter is that Fox was so busy networking with his buddies all over the state that he didn't have a clue as to what was going on in his office.

What this means is that the current chaos, dysfunction, and distruct that exists in the DA's office is a condition that Waggs can't blame on the old regime.

A management audit of the DA's office is long overdue and Wagstaffe should be run out of dodge for the way he has ruined a once proud office.

_______

After reading the comments from other San Mateo citizens, it's clear that the DA's mishandling of the Ayres case is part of a bigger dysfunctional problem. I agree that a "management audit of the DA's office is long overdue."

The Dr. William Ayres case makes an appearance in this blogger's essay, "If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words..."
The blogger thinks that an illustration that accompanied journalist and victims' advocate Victoria Balfour's piece in Parade magazine last week was demeaning to women. Strangely, the author cites Balfour's advocacy work on the Ayres case -- which has zilch to do with the Parade story.

http://tampabay.skirt.com/donna-carbone/blog/if-picture-worth-thousand-words#comment-46790

God by with you, Filly. You just asked Believe and Mercyneal if Ayres is fit to stand trial?? Hold on to your hat, Sweet Woman.

From absolutely everything that I've read, the man is most certainly sane enough to stand trial. He still shops and goes out to opera. He makes a half-hearted attempt at seeming frail and infirm. The man's crazy like a fox.

And I don't mean to be demeaning to foxes.

Trial to determine Ayres' mental competency, which was to start next week, is on hold because one of the doctors who declared him mentally competent, has now changed his mind.

Dementia puts Ayres case in jeopardy

http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo-county/ci_17061715

This could all been have avoided had the prosecution done their job right in the first trial. It was a slam dunk. But the prosecutor neglected to investigate whether Ayres was actually trained to do genital exams to boys in therapy - despite the fact that Ayres had been telling his colleagues in California for decades that he had been trained to do this. The prosecutor was well aware of this but failed to investigate, and then after parents of victims asked her why she had not challenged his training at the trial, the prosecutor made a series of everchanging and conflicting and patently false statements about why she did not.

If the prosecutor had done her homework, she would have discovered that at Judge Baker, the only place where Ayres received any training in child psychiatry, physical exams of any kind were forbidden by child psychiatrists. If Ayres had been caught touching a child in therapy, he would have been fired. For all we know, he may have been fired in Boston.

At the first trial, jurors believed the lie that he had been trained to give physicals to children in therapy.

And so instead of a slam dunk conviction, the San Mateo DA's office got themselves a mistrial. And now, this mess.

The real shame is that so many other district attorneys' offices from around the country have managed to successfully prosecutor pedophile doctors- some of them since Ayres was arrested in 2007.

From your link Mercy:

"REDWOOD CITY -- Dr. William Ayres has dementia and, as a result, may not face retrial on molestation charges, though a prosecutor has vowed to continue her fight to convict him.
The defense and prosecution agree the once-renowned child psychiatrist accused of sexually abusing his young male patients has dementia, a progressive memory and judgment disorder that could harm his ability to aid in his own defense and could make him incompetent to stand trial. But the extent of the ailment's impact on his competency is a matter of debate.
"My goal is to get him to trial as soon as possible," said Deputy District Attorney Melissa McKowan, adding that she believes Ayres, 79, is well enough to stand trial."

Let me get this straight-in 2009 He was well enough to stand trial. To complete a trial and to participate in his own defense. Something has changed so dramatically in the last 3+ years of foot dragging that he is possibly incompetent to stand trial.

RIIIIGGGHHHTTTT.

That would for sure get McKowan off the hot seat if she could simply drop this ball, now, wouldnt it?

I wonder if dementia causes one to lose their desire to molest? Anyone-studies???

Can anyone imagine a more clear and disturbing threat to society then a child molester who cannot be prosecuted???

San Mateo-are you listening??? Are you reading??? Do you know what you are going to suffer here???

It is not good enough. He has to pay. I know the devastation he has caused in the last 53 years. Stop Rewarding his Bad Behavior.

My head is going to pop right off I swear.

Believe09:

Actually, the first criminal trial was in July 2009.

During downtime in the courtroom, Ayres was lucid enough to be reading The New Yorker and the New York Times. He was also on the ball enough to sneer and make nasty faces at anyone -including victims' advocate who has publicly defended the victims. He also made a nasty crack to former medical colleague, child psychiatrist Dr. David Schwartz who was sitting with some of the victims and their families. Ayres said in a really nasty whining tone to Schwartz: "Are you a Scientologist?" As you know, Scientologists don't believe in psychiatry.

During the trial, Ayres and his family concocted a childish tactic of accusing anyone who defended the victims as Scientologists.

It was most likely Ayres' idea to start the Scientology stuff.

'Yeah, sure he has dementia ---- NOT!

Sources say that Ayres' defense has lined up at least six witnesses to say he has dementia. The prosecution only has two witnesses.

I corrected the date, Mercy-I was typing too quickly.

So we have a child molester who has deteriorated so rapidly in 18 months or so that he is unable to participate in his own defense.

Money will buy you 6 physicians who will testify for Dr Ayres-after all look what it got for him? Access to the most vulnerable boys in the system-boys who had already been victimized by those closest to them...so he chose them because who would believe them? They were troubled.

Mark my words, he will suffer judgement at some point in his life-but his arrogance continues to carry through. I am just pondering how Wagstaffe and McKowan are going to spin the fact that this case will FAIL the hopes and dreams of victims. How do they expunge that from their brains-the fact that they intentionally participated in a shell game? What was the payoff? That is what I have to know. Clearly there was a bigger scandal at hand if Ayres was convicted.

I wonder if Marc Klaas would have anything he would like to say publicly about this development? Didnt he participate in one of the last press conferences about the DA's office?

Yes, Klaas particiipated in a press conference on behalf of another family whose daughter was molested in another case Mckowan was supposed to be prosecuting. The family filed a lawsuit because they said Mckowan lied to a judge to get out of trying the case by saying the family didn't want the daughter to testify. Bizarrely, according to the family, Mckowan got the case delayed for two years. Just two days before the trial, Mckowan told the family that she hadn't lined up any witnesses and asked them if they could PAY to fly out a witness for the prosecution.

The family is continuing with their lawsuit. At a recent hearing, a judge stated to their lawyer that they did have standing to complain that Mckowan and the San Mateo DA's office perpetrated fraud.

What are the chances the Ayres' victims can do the same?

The first step for the Ayres victims would be to file an online complaint with the California Bar. They have a new President at the California Bar, and word is that they are looking more closely at different kinds of prosecutor misconduct, such as abusive behavior by prosecutors towards their own witnesses, and false statements made by prosecutors about evidence.

It is my understanding that the Bar can investigate prosecutors for incompetence on trials. This might be something the Ayres victims might want to think about.

Or, they might want to contact the Northern California Innocence Project, which deals with prosecutorial misconduct - even if the prosecutorial misconduct is towards victims the prosecutor is supposed to be helping.

As has been reported here earlier, during the Ayres trial in 2009, the prosecutor, out of nowhere falsely accused a mother of a victim who testified at the trial of feeding confidential information from the District Attorney's office to the Ayres blog. Direct quote from prosecutor to the astonished mother: "Every time I talk to you in confidence about the Ayres case, it ends up in the Ayres blog." The prosecutor then warned the mother, "I am keeping files on you doing this back in my office."

The mother - already traumatized and distressed over her son who had been molested by Ayres and from testifying herself at the trial - was stunned by the false accusation. She had never given anything to the blog. She felt too intimidated to speak up. It took her a year to tell the prosecutor's supervisor, Karen Guidotti, about the incident. Guidotti stated to the mother that the District Attorney's office had no files on the mother. (Never mind that the prosecutor herself had since gone on the Ayres blog and stated that she "NEVER" reads the blog.)

Guidotti suggested to the mother that she call Mckowan. The mother said that Mckowan should call her. Guidotti promised to get Mckowan to call the anguished mother to apologize.

That was over three months ago. The mother has not heard from the prosecutor.

This is just unhinged. Some of us are reminded of Wisconsin district attorney Kenneth Kratz who abused his power towards the victims he represented.

There are others who have been on the receiving end of abusive behavior by the prosecutor in other cases. It is strongly suggested that they file complaints to the California Bar.

Oh Lord....I didn't know. Dementia. I have every reason to believe that there's been a glimmer of dementia for a while and they drug their feet until it was firmly entrenched. What a set back for the victims.

Believe, you asked about studies. Actually fronto-temporal lobe dementia is increasing and it brings with it some strange symptoms. Not sure if this is the type of dementia that Ayres is diagnosed with but let me give you a link to another case where this came up. It was the arrest of Kent P. Frandsen in SLC, last year. I found a number of interesting articles about how men can become hyper-sexual and those with any form of pedophiliac tendencies can become indiscriminate and far more dangerous as they lose their normal inhibitions (not saying Ayres ever had them).

UT Cops Looking For Drug Dealer Find Child *advertiser censored* Manufacturer - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The entire thread is interesting but pay special attention to Posts # 42 and 60. Those are the ones about dementia and hypersexuality. I guess the harshest irony is that Ayres could become even far more dangerous as time goes on if he's not monitored--or jailed!!

A personal note here. I have a CNS disease. You all know my writing skills. I'm a reasonably bright woman. But I could get my neuro to write a diagnosis of dementia for me in a heartbeat as I can't function without writing out my thoughts. I can't do much self care or speak without slurring my words. I have horrid short term memory. Can't remember to turn off the water or close the fridge or the door but you all know I can follow a thread of thought here. My point is that a diagnosis of dementia is not that hard to come by if a person has some level of disorder. Didn't someone say Ayres was driving, shopping, and attending opera? Check out a functional assessment list and all those activities point away from dementia. Whereas, I'd fail them. Can he pay his bills, answer the phone, toilet himself, write notes, remember the date? I firmly believe that a well paid doctor could be encouraged to go either way on this. I have no doubt that I'd be found unfit to stand trial but I did drag my sorry body to Salem to testify, as I was determined to change the law. It's all about motivation and strong will. Ayres is not what I'd call motivated to get on that stand.

Sorry, but the man is snowing everyone, IMO. And here I am an advocate for the disabled. But first and foremost, I'm an advocate for children's safety.

Mitch appeared with Victoria Balfour on Emily Rooney, if you guys recall. While this is o/t I thought his latest endeavor is worth noting given the energy he has put into helping with the search for Ayres' victims in Boston:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/01/19/lawyer-to-list-new-names-of-accused-archdiocese-sex-abusers/

MissI, to your point regarding dementia-respectfully, Ayres was not evaluated for dementia at the time of his most egregious crimes.

I just want to make it clear that it seems the Prosecution is entertaining giving him a PASS for the devestation he has caused because some time in the last 7 months or so, his frontal lobe has some plaque. Or not-perhaps he put on a hell of a performance.

It.Makes.Me.Ill.

Excellent find, Believe09.

Wish there was someone like Garabedian working for the Ayres victims in California.

He's been at this for decades, and his energy for helping abuse victims has never flagged.

PS: It's time we started looking for Boston Ayres victims again.

Perhaps an ad in the Boston Herald might work to flesh out Ayres victims? Only $600 and runs for two days.

If there are any Boston Ayres victims reading this, please contact the law offices of Mitch Garabedian. He has been asking for Ayres victims in Massachusetts to come forward.

http://www.garabedianlaw.com/

600.00 is a bargain-keeping in mind what the payoff might be for some poor soul who feels he is all alone.

Sleuthers, this is not a request for 600.00, as everyone knows we dont solicit funds here, but if I had some spare cash handy, boy...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back