CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another example of how lucky EAR/GSK was back then.......the cops light up the guy chasing the supposed bad guy, all the whole, the bad guy gets away......you can't make this stuff up, boggles the mind how lucky this guy was with getting away.
There's always the chance that the person my friends saw on the neighbors roof was some other miscreant and not the EAR. Same with the guy driving the VW.

Just think if everyone had cell phones and there was a 911 system in 1978. My friend could have called in and said he was chasing the EAR along with a vehicle description. The police would have let my friend pull over while they continued the pursuit of the VW.

Man things have changed over the years.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Parents-of-babysitter-for-East-Area-Rapist-12865027.php

Bob and Jeannie moved to the Citrus Heights neighborhood in 1982, four years before DeAngelo’s last alleged attack.
“He was always a little different,” Bob said, shrugging. “He would always ask how my daughter was doing and how she did a good job babysitting.”
DeAngelo was divorced, Jeannie and Bob said, and his two daughters were about 6 to 8 years old at the time their daughter looked after the children.
“They were there most of the time,” Bob said. “Seemed like normal kids. Both of them moved out. One of his daughters has already had kids.”
DeAngelo apparently had the babysitter at his house for a few hours in the evening but never overnight, Jeannie said, adding that her daughter never raised any concerns. Jeannie couldn’t help but worry, and hopes that her daughter would feel comfortable enough to tell her if something did happen.
“Our daughter is a quiet kid,” Jeannie said softly. “She liked his kids.”
DeAngelo recently retired after working out of a Pepsi warehouse as a foreman, the parents said. He often spent time in his garage fixing up his motorcycle and boat, leaving the light on at night and the door open, they said.

Lol I'm stupid I read it as she babysit him as a child

I totally don't get the Mr Cruel association. None of the Golden State Killer's victims (that I'm aware of) was underage, while none of Mr Cruel's victims was adult.

The way Mr. Cruels victims were tied up and immobilized was the thing most similar to me. And the possible dates seem to fit with him stopping in US and then Austrailia issues with Mr. Cruel starting. I have to read more about Mr Cruels cases as today was the first I even heard about it.

Obviously all it would take is DNA testing if they have any DNA from Mr. Cruels cases. That would be one way to rule in or rule out him.

This is exactly what I think as well. There had to be soetihng linking them to him after so many years, to me some sort of familial match makes the most sense, especially given how popular these sites are right now. A friend recently did a 23andme DNA test and found out they had a sibling they did not know about(nor did their father know he had a child).

I wonder if this is what happened too? That somebody in his family might have done one of those DNA kits that are so common these days? They get a hit for familial and then go through relatives who it could possibly be? Then follow him to get his discarded DNA, they test it and it's a match?

This is the piece that really intrigues me. If he wasn't on their radar, how did all of a sudden he get on it? Unless his daughter living in the house came across something that alerted her suspicion (if she found ids she could google their names) and tipped the police?

Obviously I have no idea but this is the part of the story I'm really waiting to come out.

And the look on his face in his mugshot is so stunned that he was caught. Michelle McNamera's letter to him in was really great to read. She was so right when she wrote this in "I'll Be Gone in the Dark"

"But your heyday prowess has no value anymore. Your skill set has been phased out. The tables have been turned. Virtual windows are opening all around you. You, the master watcher, are an aging, lumbering target in their crosshairs."

I do some DNA investigative research, in concert with family trees. I am strongly suspecting, if this rumor is correct, (not sure where it came from, I saw it on Reddit) that someone who took a consumer DNA test uploaded it to Gedmatch. (Not a testing service, a free website, only) LE saw a suspected familial match, and extrapolated the Family tree, to locate the unsub. The DNA project, who recently Id'd Buckskin Jane Doe, is using this very method, to to ID Does.

I use GEDmatch. If you have only tested with only one commercial testing company like 23andMe, FTDNA, or AncestryDNA you can upload your DNA raw data file to see others that match you that test with the other companies. Your match list is much more extensive and long because it includes all the matches from the other companies you haven't tested with. It's growing even more because MyHeritiage and WeGene are now included.

But I wouldn't rule out LE submitting DeAngelo's DNA to FTDNA for a Big-Y test to genetically trace his Y-DNA lineage to his surname. I took the test and it revealed my surname matching with other men and their distant male ancestors with the same surname.

What a horrific, mean Monster.
Monster.
God. Thank you for DNA.

DeAngelo Was a Police Officer, Who at One Point Was in Charge of Investigating Burglaries, Until He Was Accused of Shoplifting Dog Repellent & a Hammer at a Drug Store in 1979

Joseph DeAngelo was a police officer in California, from 1973 until 1979, when he was fired after being accused of shoplifting a can of dog repellent and a hammer at a Sacramento drug store, according to an article from a newspaper archive posted by Billy Jensen. He was a police officer in Auburn at the time.

A 1973 newspaper article from The Exeter Sun reveals that DeAngelo, then 27, was hired as a police officer in Exeter in August of that year. The newspaper article says he is a Bath, New York, native and is the son is the son of Joseph James DeAngelo Sr. and Kathleen Bosanko, who died in 2010. It is not clear if his father is still alive. DeAngelo served in the Vietnam War after graduating from Folsom Senior High School in June 1964.

In his late teens, DeAngelo moved to rural Auburn with his mother and stepfather, according to Doug Burgarel, a neighbor at that time. DeAngelo’s stepfather worked for Burgarel’s father at Sierra Crane and Hoist as a welder making indoor overhead cranes. The stepfather bought a piece of land from the Burgarals and built a home.

He lived with his mother and stepfather in Auburn, according to the Sacramento Bee. In 1970, he worked for Sierra Crane and Hoist with his stepfather. He went on to study at Sierra College, completing an associate’s degree with honors in police science. He then attended California State University at Sacramento and graduated with a degree in criminal justice, specializing in criminal law. Before being hired in Exeter, he interned with the Roseville Police Department, working in the patrol, identification and investigation divisions.

In 1976, while working in Exeter, DeAngelo was promoted to sergeant and put in charge of an anti-burglary team with another sergeant from a nearby department, according to a newspaper article from the time. DeAngelo “will investigate burglaries and attempt to prevent them by informing the public about burglary prevention methods,” according to the article. The team was called “Joint Attack on Burglary.”

After three years in Exeter, DeAngelo then started working for the Auburn Police Department in late 1976. The 1979 newspaper report by the Auburn Journal shows that DeAngelo was fired a month after his arrest.

“Auburn City Manager Jack Sausser said DeAngelo failed to answer any of the city’s investigations and did not request an administrative hearing so was dismissed Monday,” the newspaper wrote. Sausser told the newspaper, “There was justifiable grounds to remove him from the public sector.” DeAngelo did not comment about his arrest and firing at the time. Auburn Police Chief Nick Willick told the newspaper, “It is very important that the community have the utmost trust and faith in its officers’ integrity; when this trust and faith has been compromised, officers can no longer effectively function in the community.”

DeAngelo was arrested July 21, 1979, at the Pay N’Save Store off Greenback Lane in Citrus Heights, according to the newspaper. He was caught trying to steal the items by store employees and was then cited by Sacramento County Sheriff’s Deputies. Two months later, in September 1979, the East Area Rapist stabbed a dog while prowling in a neighborhood, according to The Daily Beast.

“Dog repellant. Hammer. And refuses a hearing after shoplifting charge. Just took his punishment and left the force so no one would look deeper,” Jensen wrote on Twitter.

But the resignation did not end the case against DeAngelo, Auburn Journal archives show. The newspaper wrote several articles chronicling the shoplifting saga between August and October 1979. DeAngelo took the case to trial in October 1979. A clerk at the store testified that he found a hammer in DeAngelo’s pants while they struggled in a back room of the store. He then tried to escape. Another clerk testified that he saw DeAngelo take a can of dog repellant out of the waistband of his trousers. According to the news report, deputies arrived to find that the clerks had tied DeAngelo to a chair and said he was “in an emotional state.” The jury found DeAngelo guilty on October 31, 1979, and a judge sentenced him to six months of probation and a $100 fine.

DeAngelo, who testified during his trial and denied trying to steal the items, appealed his firing, but later dropped his appeal after being found guilty in criminal court.

“It is very possible that he was committing the crimes while he was a police officer, but we’re unsure if he did those while on the job,” Sheriff Scott Jones said at a press conference.

Exeter Police Chief John Hall told CNN, “It is absolutely shocking that someone can commit such heinous crimes, and finding out someone in a position of trust could betray that is absolutely unbelievable.”

In a statement, the Auburn Police Department said it will “do everything within its power to support this investigation and any prosecution that follows. We will pull out all the stops for our Sacramento-area law enforcement partners in this horrific and historic case.”

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/joseph-james-deangelo/

So where in this timeline does Vietnam fit in? What years and HOW LONG was he in the service?

Wait, What? I didn't know BTK was doing that? Do you happen to know where I can find this info?

Yeah, it was a BTK site devoted to the crimes at the time. It's now defunct I hear, but if you use the Internet Time Machine aka the Wayback Machine, you might be able to pull it up. I remember some Websleuthers referencing it a few years back. I have no idea though on what it was called or its domain.

I wonder what his childhood was like... The cause of divorce...who turned him in and how long they knew.

I have no idea. However, I read today, in some article (I don't remember where) that a living victim said she could hear him in another room sobbing and crying, "mummy, mummy, mummy", after he had raped her.

Looks like bandage and there's a bloody scratch above his eye.

It looks like dried blood to me. Above his left eye is a blood smear. Guess he didn’t come completely peacefully! Lol

Why wouldn't all police DNA be on file? (obviously his wouldn't as like you said he was fired in 79)

Because just like any other citizen they have a right to privacy. Granted it might solve more cases, and I would’ve had no problem giving mine while I was an officer, but it still falls under the 4th amendment. Same reason the data bases from 23 and Me, etc... are not searchable to police.

Golden State Killer suspect linked to Visalia mystery, was an Exeter police officer

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article209829249.html

... That includes the Visalia Ransacker crime spree, a rash of dozens of bizarre home burglaries that took place from 1974 to 1975.

The two cases have similarities and authorities have long thought them to be connected, though no official link had been made until Wednesday afternoon, when the Visalia Police Department released a statement saying it believes the cases are indeed related.

Detectives from the department’s violent crime unit are once again looking into the Visalia Ransacker cases and have established a public hotline, according to the release. Anyone who knew or associated with DeAngelo while he was in Tulare County in the 1970s is asked to call 559-713-4132.

This would add another murder to his list - Claude Snelling, who the Visalia Ransacker shot and killed while attempting to abduct his daughter Beth Snelling. The bullets in the murder matched a gun stolen in one of the confirmed Ransacker burglaries.

I have no idea. However, I read today, in some article (I don't remember where) that a living victim said she could hear him in another room sobbing and crying, "mummy, mummy, mummy", after he had raped her.

Whether he had some kind of childhood trauma or abandonment issue regarding his mummy, I couldn't give a flying fig. There are thousands who have had severe trauma in their lives and don't resort to raping 51 women an murdering 12 people (or more). I have no idea what the 's psyche made him into this monster...but likely there is something off, maybe his tiny penis , or he's just a bad seed. May he rot in prison.

From the article: From April 1974 to December 1975, dozens of burglaries of homes in Visalia occurred.

The burglar did bizarre things, such as rummage through underwear drawers; lay out women’s underwear on a bed; move family photos or tear them up; steal a single earring but ignore other jewelry; take Blue Chip Trading Stamps but leave cash untouched; steal piggy banks.

He also took guns and ammunition.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...-griswold/article136364438.html#storylink=cpy

Apparently the Visalia Ransacker used dishes as an alarm system much like EAR/ONS did. Or at least, I read that in one of the several articles I read earlier today (I think one of the ones at the Visalia Herald-Delta).

Whether he had some kind of childhood trauma or abandonment issue regarding his mummy, I couldn't give a flying fig. There are thousands who have had severe trauma in their lives and don't resort to raping 51 women an murdering 12 people (or more). I have no idea what the 's psyche made him into this monster...but likely there is something off, maybe his tiny penis , or he's just a bad seed. May he rot in prison.

Just sharing the information, Whitelilac. I found it interesting.

Patton Oswalt is a guest on Seth Meyers' show airing tonight (now)... He will be on in 20, 25 minutes. Not sure how much he'll get into the developments as the show is taped in the afternoon sometime but might be worth tuning into.

Exactly. Did you read "Helter Skelter"? Author Vincent Bugliosi wrote about the failure of agencies to communicate with each other in the Manson case.

Roger Kibbe, who was also local to Sacramento and the brother of a homicide detective, used that to avoid capture while killing in the 1970s and 1980s. He would pick up a woman in one county and take her to another before killing her, knowing that the departments wouldn't talk much. Even after they figured out the I-5 Strangler was one guy, communication was not great.

I'm not at all surprised to find that JJD knew and used the same information as a police officer, at least while in Auburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remsfled