Found Deceased CA - Elizabeth Ernstein, 14, Redlands, 18 March 1968

Please allow me to extend my deepest sympathy to Elizabeth's family and loved ones.

I'm so sorry for your loss and at the same time I am relieved that you finally have her home after all these long years.

Elizabeth Ernstein is no longer "missing." We don't have much information beyond the fact that some human remains have been positively identified recently as being her's. I want to thank everyone who's written on this forum for caring about Elizabeth and for being interested in finding her.

Also, only a short time (maybe a week) before she disappeared, Elizabeth called my family and told them that she needed to meet me and tell me something very important. She wanted to meet me in front of Redlands Community Hospital, but I went there and waited for Elizabeth for over an hour, and she never showed up.

{Next Post}
Elizabeth was last seen about the time I left on a hitch-hiking trip to New York. I left sometime around the the first week of March 1968, and I notice that she disappeared March 18. As I said, I didn't know until the early summer of 1969 that she had disappeared

Am I reading too much into this or??
As I am reading it he was suppose to meet up with her a week before she went missing? but was out hitch hiking ? Maybe I'm tired lol

The body of a 14-year-old girl who went missing in 1968 as she returned from school has been identified by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

Elizabeth Ernstein was last seen one block from her house in Mentone while returning from school. Volunteers and sheriff's employees searched for the girl but were unable to find her.

In May, 44 years after the girl vanished, authorities received information that led them to believe that they had already recovered Ernstein's body from a shallow grave by Wrightwood but had not identified it, according to a coroner's report.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/09/girls-remains-identified-after-44-years.html

Also, only a short time (maybe a week) before she disappeared, Elizabeth called my family and told them that she needed to meet me and tell me something very important. She wanted to meet me in front of Redlands Community Hospital, but I went there and waited for Elizabeth for over an hour, and she never showed up.

{Next Post}
Elizabeth was last seen about the time I left on a hitch-hiking trip to New York. I left sometime around the the first week of March 1968, and I notice that she disappeared March 18. As I said, I didn't know until the early summer of 1969 that she had disappeared

Am I reading too much into this or??
As I am reading it he was suppose to meet up with her a week before she went missing? but was out hitch hiking ? Maybe I'm tired lol

Does not make any sense to me either..Im tired to.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...woman-news-about-her-sister-missing-44-years/

And this case gives a San Bernardino woman some news she has been waiting for — for four decades.

Rose Mundt’s sister, Elizabeth, disappeared more than 40 years ago.

Mundt, 64, spoke to CBS2 and KCAL9 reporter Rachel Kim to discuss her story.

(more at link, video at link)

Someone here was asking about Liz's older sister. This sister would have been ~5 or 6 years older.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...woman-news-about-her-sister-missing-44-years/

And this case gives a San Bernardino woman some news she has been waiting for — for four decades.

Rose Mundt’s sister, Elizabeth, disappeared more than 40 years ago.

Mundt, 64, spoke to CBS2 and KCAL9 reporter Rachel Kim to discuss her story.

(more at link, video at link)

Someone here was asking about Liz's older sister. This sister would have been ~5 or 6 years older.

I'm glad to see they didn't over-dramatize this and got their info correct. And ~5 to 6 years is about right.

Jeff

Condolences to Liz's family. Hoping the truth will be discovered and whoever is responsible will be apprehended to face justice after all these years.

Rest in Peace, Liz.

In March of 1968 I was 16 years old and lived in Upland, CA which is about 45 minutes west of Mentone. I was walking up Euclid Ave. about 5:15 - 5:30 and some creep tried to get me into his car. He made three attempts, the third in which he actually got out of the car and followed me up the street. I ran to a house for help, and luckily there was someone home who let me. Of course there is more to this story, but it is to long to write. Now reading this about Elizabeth I am haunted by that day so many years ago.

I agree, it's wonderful that the family was finally able to reclaim her and put her to rest.

This case is so strange; especially because it sounds like someone tipped them off that the skeleton remains that they had found so long ago were actually hers??? It's a shame that they weren't able to get more information to resolve the case.

I'm not sure that someone tipped them, it sounds more like deputy was looking at cold cases and ran across Elizabeth's case and realized this could be a match. Its just a shame that Elizabeth was not looked at many years ago. Praise goes to the deputy and to Elizabeth's family for all of their efforts to find her and bring her home to properly lay her to rest.

From an article posted on page 2 of this thread. I have found similar descriptions on the few other related articles. This is why I assume that a tip came in...

" In May 2012, investigators with the San Bernardino County Sheriff, Coroner’s Division received additional information that lead to the possibility that Elizabeth’s remains had been previously recovered but not yet identified."

You know I read that post and it still didn't enter my mind when I replied to you earlier. The only thing I thought of was the deputy reading and posting on this thread and then him asking her brother to contact him. I assumed that the ”tip” was not actually a tip, but more of an ”ah ha” moment by the deputy. However, now I am having my own moment and seeing the deputy came here looking for some info after receiving a tip. You are absolutely right! Please forgive me, I'm a bit slow sometimes!

I hope that all made sense:)

I believe that Elizabeth attended Moore Middle School at the time that she disappeared. It was/is located at 1550 Highland Avenue. According to the articles that her parents posted in newspapers at the time, they lived at 776 Crafton Avenue.

It is also mentioned in some of these articles that Mrs. Ernstein was a psychiatric social worker and I have wondered if one of her patients might have been involved?

"The Lord willing…" That is how the Ernstein's finished their public pleas for help to find their daughter. "The Lord willing…" They were Jewish. So why, the supplication "the Lord willing"? Were they appealing to someone in particular? Someone that they knew had left the area and could possibly be anywhere in the US?

Just a thought.

"The Lord willing." (James 4:15)

Maybe the new information was that the remains were female.

Maybe the new information was that the remains were female.

It's possible…But that still requires that someone knew/knows what happened. Otherwise, why would someone go back to re-investigate those remains?

Bumping for Elizabeth.

Someone out there knows what happened to Elizabeth. Bumping for Liz.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back