CA CA - Elizabeth Short 'Black Dahlia', 22, Los Angeles, 15 Jan 1947

True, that is also a good point to keep in mind concerning the flash on the camera. If only we could all view that photo. Sigh.
The offender (I think it was Hodel) obviously was not concerned or worried about someone coming up upon him in the open. Really risky. Again, that is why I think Hodel is responsible. He had every cop and judge under his thumb. He reminds me of Jeffrey Epstein in the sense that he gathered dirt on everyone in power. I think Hodel's pal Fred Sexton (he was the artist who designed the Maltese Falcon statue) was also involved in some unsolved California murders and rapes. I am basing this off of course all of Hodel's books and various microfilm articles to confirm Hodel's research

Black Dahlia murder: Son of ‘Gangster Squad’ cop says dad always suspected this guy of the grisly killing

Black Dahlia murder: Son of ‘Gangster Squad’ cop says dad always suspected this guy of the grisly killing

"When Piu Eatwell suggested a theory for who killed the Black Dahlia decades after her horrific death, there was one person who agreed with her: the son of a police officer who worked the case..."

"Eatwell’s theory? Leslie Duane Dillon, a one-time bellhop and former mortician’s assistant, was the monster behind the gruesome overkill.

“Her research was astonishing,” Buz Williams, a retired member of the Long Beach Police Department, told Fox News. “If I were a police chief, I’d hire her as a forensic researcher on cold cases because she really dug a lot of information that surprised even me. I thought her book was fantastic.”

Williams has a personal connection to the Black Dahlia. His father, Richard F. Williams, served on the LAPD’s "Gangster Squad," the team originally tasked to investigating Short’s murder. The patriarch was also a close friend of Con Keller, a fellow Gangster Squad officer who originally tailed Dillon as a suspect, Rolling Stone reported..."

Poor girl, she suffered an horrible death and also had no justice.
I think this girl was murdered by the Mob (maybe the Italian American mafia).
I've seen her post-mortem pictures and what they did to her body and especially her face can be ascribed to some mobsters.

From Most Evil (Dutton 2009) page 116:

Toxicologist Dr. William D. McNally reported that the victim [Degnan] had been strangled before her body was expertly dissected with a sharp knife. This conclusion was corroborated by Coroner Brodie, who told the press: “It was a very clean job with absolutely no signs of hacking as would be evident if a dull tool was used.” Dr. Jerry Kearns, the coroner’s expert added: “the killer had to be an expert…. Not even the average doctor could be so skillful.”

January 6, 1946- Killer poses Degnan body parts off Street named “Hollywood”

The Black Dahlia

Black_Dahlia.jpg

Elizabeth Short, 22, murdered 15 January 1947

In 1947, Elizabeth Short, nicknamed The Black Dahlia, was a 22-year-old Hollywood hopeful. She worked as a waitress to support herself until she caught her big break, but unfortunately that break would never come. A woman found her naked body, posed completely severed in half and mutilated on January 15th near Leimert Park. Her killer had also completely drained the body of blood and cleaned it. Despite efforts by the LAPD and the FBI to hunt down the killer, their leads went dry and there was little to no hard evidence. While many have claimed to know the killer, nothing has been totally conclusive.

LINK:
https://www.biography.com/people/black-dahlia-21117617

- I find it very hard to believe that the link between Betty and the crime scene was sheer coincidence. It wasn't a 'dump site' - Betty was not 'dumped' she was arranged with infinite care. Therefore, I don't discount that the killer knew her, possibly very well. Well enough to know she grew up around these people who owned that land, anyway. I am seeing it as a very deliberate choice.

Just some thoughts that circle around in my mind, whenever I ponder this crime. Sorry for the rambling. :)

Ausgirl, what is the link between the Dahlia and the crime scene? Who did she grow up with that owned land there?

Ausgirl, what is the link between the Dahlia and the crime scene? Who did she grow up with that owned land there?

I do not think there is any link between Elizabeth Short and the neighborhood where her body was found. She grew up in Maine and Massachusetts. Her father, who deserted the family, moved to Northern California. She had no ties to Southern California until she moved there herself.

I do not think there is any link between Elizabeth Short and the neighborhood where her body was found. She grew up in Maine and Massachusetts. Her father, who deserted the family, moved to Northern California. She had no ties to Southern California until she moved there herself.
Thanks,
Ausgirl said:
Well enough to know she grew up around these people who owned that land, anyway. I am seeing it as a very deliberate choice
which made it sound it like Short had some connection in her youth to someone who lived near where she was found. Ausgirl seemed to be theorizing the killer was aware of this?

"When Piu Eatwell suggested a theory for who killed the Black Dahlia decades after her horrific death, there was one person who agreed with her: the son of a police officer who worked the case..."

"Eatwell’s theory? Leslie Duane Dillon, a one-time bellhop and former mortician’s assistant, was the monster behind the gruesome overkill.

“Her research was astonishing,” Buz Williams, a retired member of the Long Beach Police Department, told Fox News. “If I were a police chief, I’d hire her as a forensic researcher on cold cases because she really dug a lot of information that surprised even me. I thought her book was fantastic.”

Williams has a personal connection to the Black Dahlia. His father, Richard F. Williams, served on the LAPD’s "Gangster Squad," the team originally tasked to investigating Short’s murder. The patriarch was also a close friend of Con Keller, a fellow Gangster Squad officer who originally tailed Dillon as a suspect, Rolling Stone reported..."
LAPD sent Leslie Dillon's prints to the FBI to check against the Black Dahlia Avenger's prints on file and it came back negative to the BDA but Leslie Dillon's prints were on file previously.

Did she not live with her father in CA? It sounded like her parents had their hands full and dad wasn't exactly interested in the first place

Staring at the crime scene pictures of Elizabeth Short taught me this one thing: what a hypocrite I am, if I bawww outrage over the mangled bodies of victims, yet heap scorn on women like her while they live. Thanks, Betty, for that wisdom. I hope you are in peace.

Just some thoughts on the crime scene:

- The exsanguination and bisection says to me this guy probably had a vehicle other people saw or traveled in, and he could not risk having blood or a body-shaped lump in it. Possibly a company vehicle, that sort of thing. Not a family vehicle, for reasons given below.

- This tells me, in turn, that he probably lived close to or worked among people, and so was good or at least adequate at masking himself. Incredible self control, fastidious, definitely - to OCD levels. maybe, which would enable him to appear normal - except where he felt safe to let loose.. But like I said above, his madness would have to 'leak' sooner or later. Somebody would have seen it. He may have had an 'aura' about him that made people feel uncomfortable, despite his efforts to look normal. Maintaining his mask through normal relationships would be extremely difficult for this man. I highly doubt he lived in family situation.

- He had a safe place to handle Elizabeth, all of her blood and her body. He could have lived alone, or used an empty building.

- He spent a long time with her, a really long time. So he had a means of accounting for that time, or nobody to answer to.

- If he did share a home at all, it would be with a mother or wife who was completely submissive by nature. Somebody who would not, or dared not, question him.

- I don't think this was a simple crime, a hit. It's too far from simple for that. The killer took risks to make his point that go far beyond that a 'businessman' would take. This guy was a sadistic, sexual psychopath, I have no doubt of that.

- He cut her half, probably for convenience and lessening of risk (taking her out of a building where there were passersby and neighbours, maybe) but put her 'back together' at the crime scene. This was very deliberate and important to his 'message', part of what he wanted to get across. This killer was 'shouting' something, here. Every element of the crime scene is, I think, a very carefully placed part of that.

- If he'd killed before, and I really think he had and that there ARE other victims, other bodies - he may not have bisected his victims, but they would be mutilated and/or degraded in some way. Probably nothing like Betty, though - like Mary Kelly was to the Ripper, he would have built up to that over time - she was probably the pinnacle of what he wanted to achieve, the greatest moment of release or expression for him. Or yeah, we'd likely know about it...

- The matter in her stomach - was that fertiliser? The rose tattoo and the grass in her vagina .. that is way symbolic of -something- for the killer. A garden, maybe?

- The crime scene was his greatest moment of risk. He spent time there, too.. a lot of time, arranging things just so. He would have been excited, exhilarated, not totally cool as he would be otherwise. I think the cement bags could have been his one 'mistake', for that reason.

- I find it very hard to believe that the link between Betty and the crime scene was sheer coincidence. It wasn't a 'dump site' - Betty was not 'dumped' she was arranged with infinite care. Therefore, I don't discount that the killer knew her, possibly very well. Well enough to know she grew up around these people who owned that land, anyway. I am seeing it as a very deliberate choice.

Just some thoughts that circle around in my mind, whenever I ponder this crime. Sorry for the rambling. :)

You said ripper. I'm no rippologist but I did read an interesting opinion about why the last woman was the last woman.

This is assuming Jack stopped killing by himself instead of being somehow removed from the picture. Someone said he had a hatred for women (no sh..) but not all women, one specific woman and once her murder was accomplished, he was no longer motivated. Basically.

Ted Kemper also said roughly the same thing to the FBI.

I'm getting to my point :) This was very brutal with much mutilation (again, no sh..) which could point to personal rage and hate of one woman. Which as you said means he knew her and he hated her or what she stood for (in his mind). With the amount of dissection going on, I'm comparing to Jack and wondering where the practice targets are.

I'm also not certain about a car again because of the size of the body pieces. This was in the 1940s, the age of rail and sail saw people using steamer trunks. What if he used a steamer trunk? Dissection straight after murder means he could bend legs.

The location was not so busy that he could not have made several trips during the night. Nobody finds her until the next morning.

I'm so sorry for rambling. Even more sorry because I don't think anything I said hasn't been said yet.

Not many people seem to know her middle name as I couldn't find it. I was able to confirm it as Betty or Ann through an ancestry record. Same birth date and estimated death date.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back