GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can it be involuntary with no crime being committed with her car being found where it was though ?

she goes to joshua tree park and falls in ravine...

completely unrelated less than honest person comes across car with keys above visor etc and makes bad decision to grab it...

uses it to get where they need to go and dumps it/ has second thoughts/ plans to sell it but deal falls thru/ abandons car where it is found.

extremely unlikely... but possible.

Just a random thought...If someone was looking at apartments, then the person might know of empty ones in the area.

And LE checked the Felony box off on the search warrant. The probable cause would have to back that up.

Two things from the last thread:

How do people disappear involuntarily without it being a crime? that happens a LOT. They fall into a ravine, they drive into a lake, they hike into the wilderness and can't get out, they clean a chimney and get stuck, they go onto their roof and can't get off and broil to death in the heat, they fall off a balcony and aren't discovered, I could go on like this forever. But I don't for a minute think that's what happened to her.

To answer the other question from the last thread, yes, she had recently connected with [modsnip] birth father. I can't imagine that would be a completely uplifting experience.

Do you think that what MB said is truly a sighting of Erin? what if someone dressed up like Erin? MB said the man had little to no hair, light in color, and 5'9...saying, "he didn't look like a big tough guy, like a marine, a small build" what if that was Jon and someone setting up to look like she did happily go away???

He doesn't fit the profile. He's too young and I think he would be carrying some SIGNIFICANT guilt if he did snap and killer her in a range over alleged affair. He has been scrutinized by LE and the media and amateurs alike, and no one could come up with anything suggesting a violent past or other behavioral indicators that he would be capable of something like this. Law-abiding men with no history of abusive or aggressive behavior don't just snap and kill their wives. True, maybe there could be a history of this and JC is not at all what he seems, but I find it unlikely. No evidence that he was in any way controlling or aggressive with Erin. If his whereabouts were unknown the day she disappeared, something would have come out about this. If his story didn't make sense, there is no way Erin's family would be as supportive. I understand that family inherently wants to trust the husband, but if there was something that didn't add up at least one would have spoken up by now. Nothing. Typically, if a wife disappears and the husband is a POI, something surfaces. Either accounts of prior abuse, controlling behavior, etc. (Drew Peterson) or an affair on the husband's part (Scott Peterson). There is absolutely nothing here. Though Erin is described as a quiet and private person, I think she would have confided in someone if she were at all afraid of her husband. According to some media accounts (I believe), there WAS knowledge about a possible affair.

In these cases, there is always a huge focus on the spouse or SO, and I understand that is warranted given the statistics. But given this focus, if you still have nothing and other very likely scenarios, I think it's likely that JC is completely innocent.

Even setting aside whether or not Erin is alive or dead, I disagree with much of what you have said. JC is certainly old enough to kill, and fully capable of doing so, or he wouldn't be a Marine Corporal. I also don't believe there have to be any particular warning signs that someone is capable of snapping and killing their spouse, given the proper motivation. For example, forgiving an affair, believing it to be over, and then finding out it not only isn't over, but your wife is pregnant with the other man's child could certainly cause a man to snap. A man, trained in combat, striking his wife in anger, could certainly result in an unintended death.

Again, I have NO opinion on who may have killed Erin. Just playing devil's advocate.

And they park the car in the same place where the witness saw her earlier in the car? Or is that assuming the witness was mistaken, I guess? I'm with you on thinking up other ideas! :)

she goes to joshua tree park and falls in ravine...

completely unrelated less than honest person comes across car with keys above visor etc and makes bad decision to grab it...

uses it to get where they need to go and dumps it/ has second thoughts/ plans to sell it but deal falls thru/ abandons car where it is found.

extremely unlikely... but possible.

Oh, you and your details! lol (I didn't see the fence.)

If you're that close, maybe it's your turn to do the drive-thru? :) Do you know which mine you went to? Was it near Gold Crown Rd?

Looks like a fence around it? Am also thinking the guys walked to get to it and might not be all that easy to drive to it, but who knows. Scary looking hole. Would not catch me standing at the edge!

Two things I try to never take away from people is hope — irrational or not — and ice cream.

Now about that drive-thru video of Joshua? :D

Heck, I bet there are some on YouTube. I already went on one "ride" to a mine that looked to be right off 62 just to get some sense of how they look. Very, very rocky road. Carry spares, for sure.

Not remotely close, sorry! My "drive" was on board (virtually) with these guys. Guess not right off 62 after all. I just got the impression off the main highway. Sounds like they started from Gold Crown Rd.

If I want this level of excitement, I'll go huckleberry picking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeKSQcvHijQ

I cannot think of a single case of spousal homicide when there weren't warning signs, and research tells us that there almost always are. Again, maybe there were some of these signs but we don't know about them yet.

I don't think being 21 makes someone too young to kill. I do think it, given what we have been told about the husband's prior behavior and character, that is makes someone too young too kill a wife he loved and then cover it up successfully. If it were an accident in the heat of passion, I would expect to see some sort of staged crime scene as he would want the remains to be found.

Even setting aside whether or not Erin is alive or dead, I disagree with much of what you have said. JC is certainly old enough to kill, and fully capable of doing so, or he wouldn't be a Marine Corporal. I also don't believe there have to be any particular warning signs that someone is capable of snapping and killing their spouse, given the proper motivation. For example, forgiving an affair, believing it to be over, and then finding out it not only isn't over, but your wife is pregnant with the other man's child could certainly cause a man to snap. A man, trained in combat, striking his wife in anger, could certainly result in an unintended death.

Again, I have NO opinion on who may have killed Erin. Just playing devil's advocate.

I cannot think of a single case of spousal homicide when there weren't warning signs, and research tells us that there almost always are. Again, maybe there were some of these signs but we don't know about them yet.

I don't think being 21 makes someone too young to kill. I do think it, given what we have been told about the husband's prior behavior and character, that is makes someone too young too kill a wife he loved and then cover it up successfully. If it were an accident in the heat of passion, I would expect to see some sort of staged crime scene as he would want the remains to be found.

Then again, there is such a thing as a crime of passion. If someone has harmed Erin, that's what it will turn out to be, IMO.

As we have seen on WS, there is barely any age too young to kill.
But in a case like this, it does not take age or experience, IMO, to think it might be a good idea to hide a body and claim a person is missing, if you had killed them.

As far as leaving evidence or not causing suspicion-whoever harmed Erin may very well have left evidence and may very well be a prime suspect. We don't know anything in this case.

Jmo

Thanks for the new thread. Man, I really didn't think this was going to go to this many threads.

Where are you Erin?

Me either....especially with not knowing much more than what we started with. I guess the eyewitnesses about the cars and the info about the search warrants are the only things we can say are confirmed news at this point. Very hush hush and I can certainly understand that considering. And when the military is involved it can become even more hush hush. I trust LE and know the facts will come out at the proper time. I just hope this isn't a long drawn out process like we've seen in other cases.

I am always interested, actually fascinated with true crime and missing cases, but this one for some reason has really pulled me in...maybe because I'm military/a military wife? I don't know, but I think about Erin and this case constantly and I pray for her and her family continuously.

There have been a lot of rumors since Erin disappeared. It got me wondering if maybe rumors had something to do with her disappearance. After all, there may have been a lot of gossip floating around and finding its way to people who might be a little ticked and/or hurt that such stuff was widely known. Imagine if you were drinking beers with a military buddy and heard that your wife is pregnant by Mr. X. Imagine if you were drinking beers with a military buddy and heard that Mr. X is planning to get you dishonorably discharged for sleeping with Mr. X's wife. Imagine if everyone in an apartment complex was jabbering about your private affairs. Or maybe just one person who you might confront.

Looks like a fence around it? Am also thinking the guys walked to get to it and might not be all that easy to drive to it, but who knows. Scary looking hole. Would not catch me standing at the edge!

Two things I try to never take away from people is hope — irrational or not — and ice cream.

I'm with you there! I've been somewhat near a few mines and I stayed super far away from them. Meanwhile my husband was like "I know it says keep out but I want to check it out" (yikes!). He went while I checked for cell service just in case. He said usually they weren't that steep, at least not the parts he went into.

Hope and ice cream... love it. I'm still holding out hope, even if it is irrational at this point.

He doesn't fit the profile. He's too young and I think he would be carrying some SIGNIFICANT guilt if he did snap and killer her in a range over alleged affair. He has been scrutinized by LE and the media and amateurs alike, and no one could come up with anything suggesting a violent past or other behavioral indicators that he would be capable of something like this. Law-abiding men with no history of abusive or aggressive behavior don't just snap and kill their wives. True, maybe there could be a history of this and JC is not at all what he seems, but I find it unlikely. No evidence that he was in any way controlling or aggressive with Erin. If his whereabouts were unknown the day she disappeared, something would have come out about this. If his story didn't make sense, there is no way Erin's family would be as supportive. I understand that family inherently wants to trust the husband, but if there was something that didn't add up at least one would have spoken up by now. Nothing. Typically, if a wife disappears and the husband is a POI, something surfaces. Either accounts of prior abuse, controlling behavior, etc. (Drew Peterson) or an affair on the husband's part (Scott Peterson). There is absolutely nothing here. Though Erin is described as a quiet and private person, I think she would have confided in someone if she were at all afraid of her husband. According to some media accounts (I believe), there WAS knowledge about a possible affair.

In these cases, there is always a huge focus on the spouse or SO, and I understand that is warranted given the statistics. But given this focus, if you still have nothing and other very likely scenarios, I think it's likely that JC is completely innocent.

I hope you are correct that JC is innocent. That expression, "But he was such a NICE guy... he couldn't have done it" is in the back of my mind. We really know very little about the investigation and those involved.

I'm with you there! I've been somewhat near a few mines and I stayed super far away from them. Meanwhile my husband was like "I know it says keep out but I want to check it out" (yikes!). He went while I checked for cell service just in case. He said usually they weren't that steep, at least not the parts he went into.

Hope and ice cream... love it. I'm still holding out hope, even if it is irrational at this point.

Wish I really had hope for a safe return but I thinks the odds are unfortunately way too slim.

Just ran across this video visit of old mines in Joshua Tree. Gives good lay of the landscape, but there are a few spots in here showing some holes in the ground that guarantee I'd never visit there with anybody I didn't trust implicitly. Also demonstrates what LE is up against in their searches of these areas when specifically looking at mines. Personally, I can't see much else for places to "lose" a body out there. Question is, how many of these holes?

And honestly, you need 4WD to get to where these guys were headed so no way she walked any part of this or drove to these spots for photo ops.

Desolate. Praying for all those searchers. They are up against it, even without factoring in the heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3au7lrNqJg

I am finally here! I took me 5 threads to get to posting! This isn't my first WS case I have been addicted to, this one drew me in when I first saw the news on Facebook a couple of days after she went missing since it's Marine Corps related. My husband is active duty and entering his 12th year of service (and deployed, so I can spend lots of time on WS!) and somehow I have managed to ride along for 11 of them.

Now I shall share my random thoughts.

Having worked in OB, I've seen just about everything. It doesn't seem all that odd to me that the pregnancy dates have varied. It's most likely just differences in how media is reporting it but the difference between 2 months and 3 months pregnant is pretty negligent in the medical field. A lot of people aren't sure when they conceived even if they've had only one partner. Many pregnancies that aren't sure are dated by ultrasound. It's pretty standard with Tricare to not have an ultrasound or be seen at all until 10-12 weeks. I've also historically seen a fair share of people come in not sure of the paternity of the child if they had more than one partner. When I first read the radio article about the suspicion of a father other than her husband I only really took that to mean that there existed the possibility of someone other than her husband, which is pretty clear to me that she was not monogamous. Unfortunately, in the military I don't think this scenario is unheard of either, not common, but not a stretch of the imagination by any means. It also seems more common than I would have thought for someone engaging in an affair to continue to sleep with their spouse, even if it's only a couple of times. Or sometimes the physical aspect of an affair doesn't extend beyond one time. Probably things we will never know unless we are a party in the relationship.

I paid attention the other day when I went on base to the cameras here. I went in a back gate that has one lane of traffic in and one lane of traffic out, with one guard shack. It's similar in set-up to the Condor Rd gate from what I've seen in pictures. There were 4 cameras I could readily see. One that would see the front of my vehicle approaching the guard shack and also into my vehicle when I stopped to show my ID, it would see my face. It's courtesy to remove your sunglasses when you hand over your ID, I always do, but I am sure a lot of people don't know to do that. If I had a passenger, they would be visible, but not sure about their face. A second camera would see my vehicle (and my license plate) as I was passing through the entrance. On the way out there is no stopping, but there again is a camera angled to see my vehicle as it approaches (no front plates in this state though) and the rear of the vehicle as it leaves, but nothing angled into the vehicle. I have heard there are even more cameras that I probably didn't see. But I would guess there is at least some circumstantial evidence to be gained from that footage.

As far as duty goes in the Marines, my personal experience is this. Duty is usually 24 hours. Marines use the term "duty" to describe the extra duty they are assigned outside of their normal "job". Coming in to your normal job is not negotiable but trading and switching on the duty schedule happens often. I don't think thing that I am thinking of as a "roster" is an official document. It might even get shredded after the month is over. Either a staff NCO or a junior officer usually makes it and then runs it by the CO/XO who signs off on it. It generally is just a calendar layout of the types of duty and who is assigned to them. I am not sure what the duties are in the type of unit Cpl Corwin is assigned to are, I am more familiar with smaller units of a different type. Anyways, there are usually many hand written notes and pen scratches and trading on this calendar/roster. Usually the superiors are more concerned that SOMEONE is there to cover the duty, whether it be the person originally assigned or not. It's often a "work it out on your own" type of thing if you have a conflict with your assignment. The duty log book however is an official legal document. Everyone makes notes in it a little differently but the basic elements are the same. Usually there is a duty corporal and a staff NCO or officer assigned the same duty. The SNCO or officer are usually always around or at the very least reachable by direct cell phone or radio call. If a corporal has a situation that he is directly involved in of course he will write his own notes, but sometimes the superior writes most or all of the notes and just writes the corporals name as being present. All this to say that it may theoretically be possible for someone to trade duties and it not be on that roster/calendar if it was last minute, but who worked would absolutely be in the log book.

I don't know where I stand on theories :/ I do agree that law enforcement believes a crime has been committed, the fact that they had probably cause for the warrants is pretty apparent, they just aren't going on the record about it.

It seems really odd to me how the Locate Erin page is being ran, but also fairly clear that they aren't out for the speculation and leads like a lot of missing person pages are. They should change the title of the page to "support" or something. Plenty of people would be happy to offer it, seems like, maybe it would cut down on some of the policing and drama.

/end thoughts

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! LOL

We have learned here that anyone is capable of murder, any age, any gender for any reason, or no obvious reason at all.

That place is just so vast, if someone wanted to hide a body, there are way too many places out there to do so. If it's outside somewhere, look for the buzzards. If it's in a mine someplace, then it won't be found until someone goes down to explore it. Not like that hasn't happened before....

Wish I really had hope for a safe return but I thinks the odds are unfortunately way too slim.

Just ran across this video visit of old mines in Joshua Tree. Gives good lay of the landscape, but there are a few spots in here showing some holes in the ground that guarantee I'd never visit there with anybody I didn't trust implicitly. Also demonstrates what LE is up against in their searches of these areas when specifically looking at mines. Personally, I can't see much else for places to "lose" a body out there. Question is, how many of these holes?

And honestly, you need 4WD to get to where these guys were headed so no way she walked any part of this or drove to these spots for photo ops.

Desolate. Praying for all those searchers. They are up against it, even without factoring in the heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3au7lrNqJg

I know. It's kind of hoping beyond hope for me at this point but I keep trying.

Yeah those mines freak me out! I think I read in an earlier thread there are 700+ in the park? I can't even imagine trying to search those PLUS all those miles of desert.

I will say I've taken my car in areas where I later found out it was supposed to be 4WD and my car definitely is not. It was dumb and I was very lucky not to get stuck, but I can see someone on an adventure taking a car where they probably shouldn't. Doesn't seem like what she was doing that day, though. I also have a hard time seeing her hiking near open mine shafts if they're marked.

My thoughts go out to those searchers daily. I can't even imagine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie