GUILTY CA - Gavin Smith, 57, Oak Park, 1 May 2012

I had never heard the name Chandrika before, but a cursory search leads me to believe it is a name most likely to be found of those of South Asian descent. Is that the case?

I have never heard of that name before this case. I do know a Chandra, and thought that name was unusual when I first heard it.

I think talk about the death penalty is premature because LE enforcement still stands by their statement of there being "no evidence of any foul play" in this "missing case" ... nothing about a murder case.

<modsnip>

I haven't seen that exact first quote, but there have been similar ones that also say they haven't ruled it out.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whittmore told FoxNews.com that the disappearance is classified a "missing persons case," but said investigators have not ruled out foul play.

"We have no evidence of it" at this time, he said.
5/10 article

Per GMA video here, "Los Angeles police now saying foul play cannot be ruled out." (5/11)

"This is still a missing persons investigation,&#8221; Dolson said. &#8220;We don&#8217;t have anything indicating there was foul play involved. We are not ruling it out, of course &#8230; everything&#8217;s still on the table.&#8221;
6/8 article

&#8216;It&#8217;s hard for a six-foot-six guy to go missing. It&#8217;s even harder for a car to disappear,&#8217; a law enforcement source said. &#8216;That&#8217;s why they think it is murder.&#8217;
6/13 article :what:

The sheriff's department says there's no reason to suspect foul play, but it has not been ruled out.
7/8 article

Regarding the classification of this case as a missing persons case, both homicide and murder have clear legal definitions:

"Criminal homicide may be classified as murder, manslaughter, or criminally negligent homicide. A person commits criminal homicide if he intentionally, knowingly, recklessly or with criminal negligence causes the death of another person. Homicides that are neither justifiable nor excusable are considered crimes."

"A person commits the crime of murder if with intent to cause the death of another person, he causes the death of that person or of another person, or under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to a person other than himself, and thereby causes the death of another person. Murder may also be committed when a person commits or attempts to commit arson, burglary, escape, kidnapping, rape, robbery, sodomy or any other felony clearly dangerous to human life and, in the course of and in furtherance of the crime that he is committing or attempting to commit, or in immediate flight therefore, he, or another participant if there is any, causes the death of any person."
link is from website set up by LA County Sheriff Baca

Could be LE is constrained from changing the classification of the case until they have more definitive proof not only of a death but the intent, ie whether it happened "intentionally, knowingly or recklessly" as delineated above.

As foul play has not been ruled out, IMO, DP conversations are potentially relevant, but we can agree to disagree re: that.

I think talk about the death penalty is premature because LE enforcement still stands by their statement of there being "no evidence of any foul play" in this "missing case" ... nothing about a murder case

Seek&Find, are you still updating the links section ?

CA CA - Gavin Smith, Los Angeles, 1 May 2012, MEDIA/TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION" - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Because there are 2 links you put there that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Gavin Smith case.

You gave us some information from CLASSMATES about John Creech being educated in Robertson High School in California
... well that information was wrong because THE John Creech who is connected to Gavin was born in Ohio,
then lived in 3 Indiana counties, then spent 5 years in prison.

On 3 Oct 2003 @31 years old he was released from that Indiana prison
and it was only AFTER that time that he moved to California.

So the John Creech who you told us went to Robertson High School is a totally innocent individual !

Is there anything to indicate where the John Creech you're referring to graduated from HS? If so, please post. Otherwise, the timeline fits. 39 yo would graduate in 1991. That was our early info, so I'll take a look. ETA: the original post with the classmates info is already gone. :)

Haven't seen any data re: when John moved to CA. If there's a link, please post. Thanks!

Also, if there's a concern about a post, please hit the alert red triangle button on the post. Posters have a limited timeframe to edit posts. After that time, only mods can. So much to learn for new posters! Per TOS, address the post, not the poster. For personal messages, we have the pm system (as you've used before to me). Messages can also be sent to mods through pm.

Oops! Looks like I'm speaking in WS (Websleuths) code, lol. Sorry! PM stands for private message and mod for moderators. Salem is our Super duper mod on this thread right now. To reach her, you can click on her name in upper left of her post above, and a drop box will appear with the option to send a private message. Click on that and you can write to her...(I think Salem's a her :blushing:??). You can also go to the very bottom of the page here, click on View Forum Leaders. Those online while have a green light next to their name. There's a "Send PM" box on the right column to select.

And um she's a better source for the answer re: your disappeared post, so now you can try that PM thing. :D

Bumping for PM/mod contact info again.

Just to clarify a bit...

Rumors are not allowed. If you state something as fact please provide a link to back up what you are saying. Acceptable links are from main stream media and law enforcement as well as the family.

You can disagree with a post, you can not attack a member for their opinion. If you feel something is against our terms of service please alert by clicking on the triangle in the top right corner.

If you have questions you can pm me or any mod we are all happy to help!

If someone asked for a link the nice thing to do is provide it.

Thank you

Ima

I thought it was him at first too, but I was thinking that man looked really young.

I don't think I have seen one picture of either him or Chandrika.

Have any of you seen a photo of either one of them?

Isn't it strange that there isn't even a mugshot of John posted?

I thought it was a law in CA that everyone look young, lol. ;) (j/k)

No

Yes!

Just to clarify a bit...

Rumors are not allowed. If you state something as fact please provide a link to back up what you are saying. Acceptable links are from main stream media and law enforcement as well as the family.

You can disagree with a post, you can not attack a member for their opinion. If you feel something is against our terms of service please alert by clicking on the triangle in the top right corner.

If you have questions you can pm me or any mod we are all happy to help!

If someone asked for a link the nice thing to do is provide it.

Thank you

Ima

What if the links have already been provided before in this forum ?
Shouldn't we say thank you!
And then it is up to the readers to look up any info they want
Why burden the original poster with having to reread old messages
to look for the lengthy link a second time ?

What if the links have already been provided before in this forum ?
Shouldn't we say thank you!
And then it is up to the readers to look up any info they want
Why burden the original poster with having to reread old messages
to look for the lengthy link a second time ?

2 rose,

The nice thing to do is provide a link when someone asks for it. If you are stating something as fact then it is really required to provide a link to back up what you are saying. Hope that helps.

and to answer your question, yes we should say thank you when a link is provided as well.

Ima

Pg 12 links now in Gavin's MediaThread. Didn't realize I was so far behind! :what: (Not that it's my "job" per se, I just kind of adopted it.) :). Others are welcome to help!

Hope LE finds Gavin soon and his family has some answers. :prayer:

It appears California is not a state that allows the public to learn a whole lot about jail inmates via internet. I know in Florida and Texas, you can at least see what the charge is.

In Texas, anyone can go down to the District Clerks office and see a person's criminal file. I don't know if that can be done in Los Angeles.

I do wish we had a local on this board that could try it.

I wonder just how much we will learn on John's next court date?

It appears California is not a state that allows the public to learn a whole lot about jail inmates via internet. I know in Florida and Texas, you can at least see what the charge is.

In Texas, anyone can go down to the District Clerks office and see a person's criminal file. I don't know if that can be done in Los Angeles.

Good thought, Jody! We have had locals volunteer to obtain docs before. I think I saw somewhere along the way that some records can be obtained in person?? I'll also try re-entering the Superior Court site later today, just in case there's any more data posted out there. (I'm away from my computer right now.). It's a pay site, but others can pull it too, if they want to. :D

Me too! Bet some of us will be here with bells on waiting on 7/26!

Praying for answers for Gavin's family!

I know California is a what is called a "free record state" ... which means that birth, marriage and death records are available to the public (I don't know for sure about criminal records). The word "free" here means that access to records is NOT restricted ... it is shared with those members of the public who are willing to pay a necessary fee to obtain the documented information. Some old info is available online ,,, however out of respect for a person's right to privacy (and to avoid fraud like identity theft) records of the living are typically not available to the public online.

Here is an example ... high school yearbooks were recently mentioned, so I searched for those and I found a source where they were available right up until 1965. Yearbooks after that are not online ... probably to protect living people's privacy ... so in this case anyone under 60 years of age. Since Creech was born in the seventies, his school yearbooks are not currently available to the public. We probably have to wait another 25 years for that to happen.

A sad trombone played in newsrooms across six western states today, when the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that mugshots of federal arrestees are not public record.

The federal policy against releasing mugshots &#8212; though fairly uniform nationwide &#8212; is actually somewhat unique in the bigger picture. Most local and state law enforcement agencies, including those in Colorado, routinely release mugshots of arrestees, except in cases where it would compromise the integrity of the investigation.
link

Just found why we can't find a Federal mugshot. Please note CA is in the Ninth Circuit, but this may explain why there's no national DB of Federal convict mugshots.

That last line may be why we can't find John's mugshot in CA right now.

link

Just found why we can't find a Federal mugshot. Please note CA is in the Ninth Circuit, but this may explain why there's no national DB of Federal convict mugshots.

That last line may be why we can't find John's mugshot in CA right now.

My goodness, where is my mind. I should have known there wasn't a mugshot. :banghead: I remember when Martha Stewart was incarcerated, a big deal was made out of why there wasn't a booking shot of her and the reason was given that she was a fed prisoner.

This article says 20 search warrants have been served in this case, does it say for what? Were they all tied to the home they searched? I haven't seen it so far anywhere unless I missed it. Thanks!

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-missing-fox-executive,0,7642854.story?page=1
Deputies say they have served more than 20 search warrants in the case, including the home of a woman in West Hills Smith may have had an affair with.
Deputies served a warrant around 10:30 a.m. on June 8 at a home in the 8600 block of Santa Susana Place.
A neighbor told the L.A. Times that a woman and her two children emerged from the house as it was being searched.
She said a family -- including a husband, wife and two girls -- lives in the home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back