Resolved CA - Hacienda Heights, WhtMale 865UMCA, 18-25, black rosary beads, Nov'72 - namus removed

StarChance had an article that stated that the crime was reported by a man who went outside to pick up his morning paper. When I read that, my first thought was how could the newspaper delivery guy didn't notice the body first? The paper reported that another neighbor had heard screams and gunshots at around 1 AM. I would assume the newspaper delivery would drive by the home at 1 AM or after. I had friends that lived on that street; it's a very narrow road on a steep canyon with no sidewalks or a shoulder to stop at. How could you not see this John Doe's eye glasses, and his blood on the street (it's in the report) if you are up there? Maybe I am overthinking this, but...maybe the POI is that newspaper delivery driver?

Mark Steven Scott (17) missing from Houston 4/20/72. I don’t see him mentioned previously. He looks like he could be a candidate for this JD.
Height 5' 11" - 6' 0" (71 - 72 Inches)
Weight 160 - 175 lbs
Hair Brown
Eyes Blue

NamUs has a note stating that this case is not active with HPD.

1673899387999.jpeg
1673900498702.jpeg
1673901557488.jpeg

Mark Steven Scott (17) missing from Houston 4/20/72. I don’t see him mentioned previously. He looks like he could be a candidate for this JD.
Weight 160 - 175 lbs
Hair Brown
Eyes Blue

NamUs has a
Mark Steven Scott (17) missing from Houston 4/20/72. I don’t see him mentioned previously. He looks like he could be candidate for this JD.
Weight 160 - 175 lbs
Hair Brown
Eyes Blue

NamUs has a note stating that this case is not active with HPD.

View attachment 395732
View attachment 395735
View attachment 395737
He should be considered. There is a resemblance, especially the left eyebrow. The peak of Mark's arch is the same as the deceased.

Last edited:
He should be considered. There is a resemblance, especially the left eyebrow. The peak of Mark's arch is the same as the deceased.
Mark’s photo may be from a younger age but I see the same eyebrows, lips and teeth between Mark and the combined recon and PM photos. I think it’s worth consideration also.

I will submit for review. Thank you for your thoughts on the comparison as well.

There's no earthly possibility it's Mark imo. Any other pages of relevance taken down?

I'm expecting an Othram announcement since they did Kenneth Williams from CA around the same time.
No MPs from the 70s removed recently.

When the MP and UID are from different states there may be a delay of a couple of days between when the two profiles are removed. It could be possible that the corresponding MP profile hasn't been removed yet. I agree that forensic genealogy is most likely involved especially with such old cases.

865UMCA descubierto el 5 de noviembre de 1972 en Hacienda Heights, California, ha sido identificado por NamUs. No hay mas informacion disponible...

IMO This man is definitely not Mark Scott. Mark Scott was allegedly killed by SK Dean Corll in his hometown of Houston. Both of Dean Corll's accomplices (David Brooks and Elmer Wayne Henley) confessed to luring him to Dean's house, where it was stated by both men that Mark was strangled in April 1972 and subsequently buried at High Island Beach in Galveston Co, Texas. Even though both accomplices confirmed that he had been buried at High Island Beach they could not recall exactly where Mark had been buried, and his remains can't be found now after Hurricane Ike in 2008 led to the entire stretch of the beach where the victims were buried being submerged underwater. It is very, very sad for Mark's family and friends, but IMO it appears that his skeletal remains were submerged under the ocean and have probably been eroded. :(

I hope we find out more about this John Doe's ID soon!

I just looked up 865, and it says he has been identified! Oh my God! I have been studying this case for over 15 years! Since this happened in my old hometown, and I know that particular street very well, I felt connected to this case. I am overjoyed that he has his name back. I thought it would never happen. Rest in peace, my friend, may you fly high!

I just looked up 865, and it says he has been identified! Oh my God! I have been studying this case for over 15 years! Since this happened in my old hometown, and I know that particular street very well, I felt connected to this case. I am overjoyed that he has his name back. I thought it would never happen. Rest in peace, my friend, may you fly high!
I've always wondered if this one and the girl found in neighboring La Habra Heights were connected there was also a string of similar murders in Rancho Cucamonga from 1978 to 1980 on San Bernardino Sheriff's Cold Case Page. https://wp.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2017/07/Gary_Collins.pdf?x20231 Homicide Cold Cases - San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department 584UFCA

Last edited:
I've always wondered if this one and the girl found in neighboring La Habra Heights were connected there was also a string of similar murders in Rancho Cucamonga from 1978 to 1980 on San Bernardino Sheriff's Cold Case Page. https://wp.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2017/07/Gary_Collins.pdf?x20231 Homicide Cold Cases - San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department 584UFCA
I always wondered about that too since the locations were similar and close by, and I believe they both had a peace earing. I always believed that the killer lived in the Athel Drive/ Turnbull Canyon area due to the secluded and unique terrain (you can't know of the area unless you have lived there) but I can be wrong. I wonder if LaHabra Heights Jane Doe has a viable DNA that can help identify her. I wrote to the website about the identity of Hacienda Heights John Doe about two weeks ago, and I haven't received a response. When you speak to others about this case, you get to hear all kinds of leads that some even seem possible. There is one that got my attention but the killer could be anybody, in fact Randy Kraft is a suspect in this case. Finding out about this young man's identity is a start on solving this crime. Once I get word on his identity, I will share it here.

I got a response back, and I was informed that law enforcement is not releasing his name yet because most likely they want to protect their investigation from the POI. It seems to be the case. Fingers crossed, this young man will have justice. <3

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back